Thread: New idea involving Dante

New idea involving Dante

I have another post earlier about having my setup in my studio instead of in the press box in the gym/auditorium. I have that scenario set and ready to go when I'm ready to pull the trigger but someone has mentioned Dante and I don't want to jump into the other and waste money when next year I will have to do something new anyway.
    The reason why Dante may sound like a good idea to me is because next year we will be moving to a brand new gymnasium but it is about 3/4 mile away. There is fiber between each building.
    What would people recommend to make this work?
    1. Communication. I would need to get audio to and from the studio to the gym for the director to communicate. I would connect into my Clearcom intercom system in my studio with XLR and get that to my Eartec system at the gym with an interface and then to the hub. Will Dante work to get the audio to and from like it would with just a standard XLR cable?
    2. I will need to get 2 sources of audio from the gym to our studio. Play by play guy and crowd mic. Pretty basic and standard setup to the mixer and then into our Mini TC with AE.
    3. I will need to get L & R channel out of mixer to our camera in the gym because our coaches like the commentary on the video that we also record for them on an sd card that we give to them after the game.

This is all I would need to do with the audio part to get it to work. The video is the easy part.

Would a new digital mixer with Dante be part of the key? Has anyone done anything like this before? I'm trying to do a lot of reading on the subject but I have found this forum to be better than anything because everyone on here is so good to help. What pieces would I need to get this to work?
    Thanks.

I think I may need to hire a designer for this one. I have tried reading and studying on Dante but just can't seem to find out what I need to make it work for me.

I'm wondering if this would be a setup that would work?

In the new gym use these. https://www.markertek.com/product/rd...nterface-2-x-2
    I would use one for audio in from play by play, and one in from crowd mic. I would have these hooked up to the network.
    I would then have the digital mixer https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tal_mixer.html with a Dante expansion card hooked up to the network. The output from the mixer would go into my TriCaster Mini with AE.
    I don't know if is going to work for my communication though for my director to direct the cameras. I have an eartec system that will work with my clearcom intercom in my studio. Would I be able to hook up the interface that has XLR to the other XLR hook up on the RDL interface linked above. Then have another RDL interface in my studio and hook up the XLR from my clearcom intercom to that RDL XLR interface. I may try to draw a diagram.Dante diagram001.pdf
    Last edited by ingeborgdot; 10-06-2018 at 05:23 PM.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    I think I may need to hire a designer for this one. I have tried reading and studying on Dante but just can't seem to find out what I need to make it work for me.
    We use and have deployed Dante solutions with TriCasters for several years now. Be glad to help steer you in the right direction. You are sort of there but I see a couple holes that need plugging.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Okay, see if there are still any holes in the armor. For audio going to the Tricaster this is what we have. In the studio I will have a PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2 AI 16-Channel Digital Mixer with a Dante expansion card for audio coming from the gymnasium. In the gym I will have an RDL DD-BN40. I will take play by play and pump that into one input of the RDL and take a crowd mic and pump into the other input of the RDL. The PreSonus will take in the signal over Dante. So it seems audio from the games is taken care of??
    Next is communication. That is where my big cost is happening. I have the Clear-Com system in my studio that will be communicating with the Eartec wireless system at the gym. I have the 2 channel MS 702 from Clear-Com. A guy I'm working with seems to think that even if the Eartec system has a Clear-Com interface on the other end it still needs some other help. Is that so? Well, here is what we have come up with.
    Into the Clear-Com we plug a Studio Technologies 45DC with Dante. That will take the signal over the internet to another 45DC in the gym. We plug the Eartec interface for Clear-Com into the 45DC and the interface into the Eartec hub. This will allow for communications both ways.
    Are there still any holes?

Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    Okay, see if there are still any holes in the armor. For audio going to the Tricaster this is what we have. In the studio I will have a PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2 AI 16-Channel Digital Mixer with a Dante expansion card for audio coming from the gymnasium. In the gym I will have an RDL DD-BN40. I will take play by play and pump that into one input of the RDL and take a crowd mic and pump into the other input of the RDL. The PreSonus will take in the signal over Dante. So it seems audio from the games is taken care of??
    Next is communication. That is where my big cost is happening. I have the Clear-Com system in my studio that will be communicating with the Eartec wireless system at the gym. I have the 2 channel MS 702 from Clear-Com. A guy I'm working with seems to think that even if the Eartec system has a Clear-Com interface on the other end it still needs some other help. Is that so? Well, here is what we have come up with.
    Into the Clear-Com we plug a Studio Technologies 45DC with Dante. That will take the signal over the internet to another 45DC in the gym. We plug the Eartec interface for Clear-Com into the 45DC and the interface into the Eartec hub. This will allow for communications both ways.
    Are there still any holes?
    I have no idea what gear you actually have and what you are planning to buy.
    I have reservations about the PreSonus StudioLive and Dante. Their implementation of Dante is only half way there. I hope you haven't already purchased that mixer since there are great alternatives like the Soundcraft Expression or Yamaha TF series that work flawlessly with Dante.

Speaking of Yamaha, they have a great box for bringing audio in and out via Dante. I would suggest you look into one of them for the Gym side. Much more bang for the buck with a larger amount of inputs and outputs available to you. At the very least instead of the RDL, I would also suggest another route with a proper Announcer console like the Studio Technologies Model 204
    https://studio-tech.com/products/mod...ncers-console/

Communications would be dead easy if you went with wired Dante beltpacks for your remote productions instead of the Eartec route. Studio Technologies has great beltpacks that work on the Dante network in a 2 or 4 channel version. You get the full capabilities of a routing matrix without the high cost of a ClearCom Eclipse or RTS Adam main frame.
    https://studio-tech.com/products/mod...set-connector/

If you already have the gear already mentioned then you can use the Studio Technologies Model 45DC to link the ClearCom to Eartec since the EarTec can emulate a ClearCom setup I believe. It looks like the Eartec XT-Plus-Int would then be needed to bridge the Model 45C to the EarTec "hub".
    https://studio-tech.com/products/mod...com-interface/

For all the cost of the 45DC boxes and the EarTec interface, You could easily get into the 4-6 Model 370 beltpacks.

Another option would be to take your Comms wirelessly and still tie them into your ClearCom using a single Model 45DC to Unity Intercom. The ClearCom converted into Dante then on the remote end deploy Unity Intercom on iOS or Android phones over WiFi or Cellular.
    http://www.unityintercom.com

Be glad to help further but I don't exactly know what you have and don't have already. Send me an email or give me a call if you need to. Might be faster.
    Last edited by PIZAZZ; 10-11-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

That will take the signal over the internet
    I just read this from your post.

Do you have a Gigabit network link from building to building? or are you trying to do all this over the internet as you typed above?
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

I said internet but meant network. It is a gig network over fiber.

What are your reservations with the PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2AI? What do you mean half way there?

What is the Yamaha box you are referring to?

I have the Eartec Ultra Lites already and they work great with great distance. I really like them and they are able to be used in places that others would not be able to be used.

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post

Be glad to help further but I don't exactly know what you have and don't have already. Send me an email or give me a call if you need to. Might be faster.
    I would but I can't find your email.