Thread: Expanding audio inputs for TC1

Expanding audio inputs for TC1

I made the ugly discovery that we cannot simultaneously use the analog audio inputs as well as the embedded SDI inputs with the same input channel numbers. The GUI makes it appear as though you can do it, because you can assign one fader in the audio mixer to the embedded input and then assign a second one to the analog input. Except, that when you go back to the first fader it has been reassigned to analog. So, I need another way to get analog audio in, since I also need the SDI audio.

The 2 solutions I come up with are
    1: Add a USB audio device
    I need a device with at least 4 inputs. Ideally, it would not need a device driver or would have one that Newtek would not flag as alien software that should be removed. Any recommendations?

2: Add a Dante audio device
    Again, I need a device with about 4 inputs. I know Dante requires a clock. Can this be provided by any Dante device, so anything I buy could act as the master clock? Or do I need a special device that would provide that function?

The specs for the TriCaster suggest that either of these approaches is viable. What is the community experience? Do I want USB or Dante? And, what devices would people recommend?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

For Dante, any Dante hardware will provide the clock so that Virtual Sound Card will be able to operate.

I think you can probably get a USB Audio interface cheaper than a Dante interface.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I've used both Berhinger and Tascam interfaces. The Berhinger's driver/software is more straight forward. With the four input interface all four inputs come in as separate channels on a single TC audio input strip.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

Thanks for your suggestions. Aside from price are there any reliability comparisons to be made between USB and Dante interfaces? Are they both equally "set and forget"?

Also, do the Behringer/Tascam drivers trigger the TriCaster panic about unrecognized software being installed? We are a public access station, and I don't want anyone being tempted to restore the system to factory defaults as a result of that scary alert the system puts up when it sees other software present.

The Behringer UMC does show up on the on the unrecognized requester and I'm pretty sure the Tascam did also.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by midpen View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions. Aside from price are there any reliability comparisons to be made between USB and Dante interfaces? Are they both equally "set and forget"?

Also, do the Behringer/Tascam drivers trigger the TriCaster panic about unrecognized software being installed? We are a public access station, and I don't want anyone being tempted to restore the system to factory defaults as a result of that scary alert the system puts up when it sees other software present.
    Go Dante and never look back. We have many many of the Atterotech UnDIO 2x2 and 4 input boxes sold and deployed. Great solution to add more inputs anywhere your network is.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    The Behringer UMC does show up on the on the unrecognized requester and I'm pretty sure the Tascam did also.
    Yep, I just tried installing the driver without the unit and see it appears.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.