Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drag and drop

Drag and drop

I checked this out in LW help:

"Dragging and Dropping

Many files can be loaded simply by dragging and dropping them onto LightWave's interface, including scene files, objects, images and animations."

But this doesn't seem to work, does anyone have this working?

Cheers
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

In 2015 scenes, images and objects work for me. I haven't been able to try in 2018 yet.

I don't seem to have this working in 2015 either
    Andy Webb

GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Odd! I'm in Win 10. Doubt that matters. Sorry, I don't have any other way to test it to get it to not work. Unless it has something to do with upon install, I remember messages about LWS and objects. But I can't remember what it asks about them. Almost like a "always open with this program" type thing. Not sure.

Oh.. just noticed you have WIN 10 too... my bad

This works for me in both LW2015 and LW2018 on Windows 7, at least for Objects and Scenes. A caveat about LW2015: drag-n-dropping a Scene onto Layout invokes the Load Scene functionality, throwing away anything in Layout loaded previously and doesn't pop up a "Save Scene". LW2018 pops up the standard panel providing an option to "Save and Load" or just "Load".

mTp

Also, Win10 has issues (as in, it won't allow it) dragging and dropping into apps with differing privileges (elevated, run as admin vs. non-elevated privileges). I've never used the drag -n- drop in Lightwave, but I ran into this with some forum software.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

works for me with 2018 and windows 10, dragging lwo objects from file browser to modeler, and also to layout, also works to drag images on to image editor as well.

Found the problem, I was running LW taskbar icons as administrator but the exe files were not set to run as administrator...
    Andy Webb

GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Webb View Post
    Found the problem, I was running LW taskbar icons as administrator but the exe files were not set to run as administrator...
    I don't even know how to tell if my taskbar icons are automatically adminstrator (since I am, you'd think, but often get alert dialogs)....

I bet this is a common problem, and as such should be added to the dox if it's not already in there. Same with Mac equivalents.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

It's as if an error dialog ran over all of the LW devs' dogs when they were kids.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I don't even know how to tell if my taskbar icons are automatically adminstrator (since I am, you'd think, but often get alert dialogs)....

I bet this is a common problem, and as such should be added to the dox if it's not already in there. Same with Mac equivalents.
    Usually, desktop and taskbar icons (which are shortcuts) that are set to run as admin have a little shield icon in the lower right corner (Mine are blue and gold).

This is an OS security feature for Windows (10 for sure, I don't have running 7 & 8 machines anymore). Mention of it in the docs as a possible reason why Drag and Drop won't work should be included for troubleshooting purposes. However, it's not a Lightwave only thing. I'm not familiar with MacOS, so I can't say anything about what Macs do or don't do in this regard.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    Usually, desktop and taskbar icons (which are shortcuts) that are set to run as admin have a little shield icon in the lower right corner (Mine are blue and gold).

This is an OS security feature for Windows (10 for sure, I don't have running 7 & 8 machines anymore). Mention of it in the docs as a possible reason why Drag and Drop won't work should be included for troubleshooting purposes. However, it's not a Lightwave only thing. I'm not familiar with MacOS, so I can't say anything about what Macs do or don't do in this regard.
    Huh. NONE of my Taskbar nor Start menu icons have the little blue shield, which I think I've seen before, maybe on folders?? (W10).
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Well to add to the fun of this, with run as administrator OFF drag and drop works but I've now noticed the CFG files are not saved after exiting LW. With run as administrator ON the CFG files are saved but drag and drop doesn't work.

The reason for the CFG files not being saved when run as administrator is OFF, is because LW is seen as not having the correct privileges to write to the C drive (
    Andy Webb

GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

The default location for CFG files is in your own user space so it should not matter if you are running as admin or not. There may be deeper system issue here.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Webb View Post
    Well to add to the fun of this, with run as administrator OFF drag and drop works but I've now noticed the CFG files are not saved after exiting LW. With run as administrator ON the CFG files are saved but drag and drop doesn't work.

The reason for the CFG files not being saved when run as administrator is OFF, is because LW is seen as not having the correct privileges to write to the C drive (
    Are you directing LW to put your config files in a custom location, or are they in the default location? If the default, they should be user-accessible in Windows regardless.

(edit) Forum-instigated double post removed. Grr.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast