Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't upgrade to MacOS Mojave yet! Update: Hotfix Released

Quote Originally Posted by Iaian7 View Post
    If Lightwave is to ever be a solution moving forward, I need to be able to trust that client projects aren't going to be inaccessible in under than a year. Which is what we're faced with here.
    LW customers did not choose that the only way to retain continued access to prior versions' content be wholly reliant on LW2015.3 remaining operational. Newtek had ample opportunities to provide more comprehensive migration options, or at least provide customers with a suitably-advanced timeline and detailing of breadth and depth of coming content incompatibilities with LW2018, and so forth, but eschewed all such options. Those decisions (foreseeably) led to the current situation.

Newtek needs to fix the prior version content incompatibility situation LW2018 created. Whether/how they do so is up to them.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Nilsson View Post
    Also, 2015 has been around for quite some time before 2018 got released, as the name implies, so I do not really understand what you mean with killing off support for projects created a year ago.
    Up until just under a year ago, LW2015 was the only released LW available for content creation -- LW2018 released 1jan2018. Projects' surfacing created a year ago (for LW2015) have minimal ability to be migrated to LW2018. What isn't clear about that?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Up until just under a year ago, LW2015 was the only released LW available for content creation -- LW2018 released 1jan2018. Projects' surfacing created a year ago (for LW2015) have minimal ability to be migrated to LW2018. What isn't clear about that?
    Yes, but users still can use LW2015 until they can begin using 2018 if they so wish for new projects.

2015 isn't suddenly unavailable... Yes I am aware that there is the interface bug when using LW2015 with the latest MacOS update, but the same thing applies there. As I said in my previous post, it's never a good idea to change or update to newer Software or OS versions unless you really need to due to for example a bug or something causing the project to be brought to a halt, which most likely isn't the case here.

Isn't the larger issue to hold off on Mojave, Apple's decision to drop support for OpenGL/CL? I was under the impression that LW and other apps that are not supporting Metal would take serious performance hits. We have avoided upgrading to Mojave for that very reason. I'm not sure how long we will be able to hold off upgrading the OS. We might actually move back to Windows over this issue.

Regarding not upgrading as a pro user: while I understand the reasoning behind this, the reality can be very different depending on your software environment. Our two main software suites actually require us to always update to the latest version of both OS and the software itself. In spite of us paying a hefty yearly fee for support, the first question when contacting tech support is "are you running a fully updated environment?".

So in short: there are very definitely professsional environments where upgrading is the norm and only option.

Quote Originally Posted by robertn2k View Post
    Isn't the larger issue to hold off on Mojave, Apple's decision to drop support for OpenGL/CL? I was under the impression that LW and other apps that are not supporting Metal would take serious performance hits. We have avoided upgrading to Mojave for that very reason. I'm not sure how long we will be able to hold off upgrading the OS. We might actually move back to Windows over this issue.
    Really......
    What's your hurry to upgrade the OS?
    Seems a bit extreme to jump ship.
    Security updates are issued for the 3 recent versions of Mac OS.
    If Lightwave is working on HS stick with that.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

@Markc,

"What's your hurry to upgrade the OS?" - I answered that question in the post right before yours. Not everyone has the choice. By the way, this is not only because of rare unicorn software: try Adobe Creative Cloud tech support. If they don't find a fix for your issue quickly, they will ask you to upgrade your OS and Creative Cloud suite. And if you don't, they don't guarantee continued support. Completely unrelated to LightWave but pretty striking: Adobe also does not offer support for file issues if you save on a network share.

I don't know if you use other software-as-a-service, but when your run software like VectorWorks or SolidWorks your options to not upgrade are severely, really severely limited. It's a bit better these days but 5 years ago we didn't even get to choose our own graphics cards if we wanted support.

So there you have a very good reason to upgrade the OS. If LightWave is your workhorse then LightWave drives your upgrade policy. If LightWave is only the 4th or 5th most important software you run, other packages drive the upgrade policy, and LW needs to follow.

Apologies....I thought you where referring to LW upgrades..
    I don’t have your headaches fortunately, I don’t touch ‘rental’ software
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

No worries. I share your point of view regarding rental software, by the way. As far as my experience goes, software-as-a-service has been a rip-off making companies rich without any benefits in place for the customer. Unfortunately many software companies don't give you a lot of choice, at a certain point in time...

So the latest version is 2018.07 but the fix is for 2018.06 and we have .07 installed on all of our lab computers. A little confused why the latest version of LW was not used.

Quote Originally Posted by wort View Post
    So the latest version is 2018.07 but the fix is for 2018.06 and we have .07 installed on all of our lab computers. A little confused why the latest version of LW was not used.
    It was an urgent bug that had to be fixed, thusly it got released as a hotfix to the then current latest release... The hotfix is included in the .07 release.

I was thinking about updating shortly until I read this thread

Lightwave 2015.3 Mojave fix

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    This is one file, that you manually place in the "bin" folder of your LightWave 3D 2018 install folder to replace the version already there.
    Will the Lightwave 2018 Mojave fix work on 2015.3?

Quote Originally Posted by romancast View Post
    I was thinking about updating shortly until I read this thread
    How so? If anything this thread is why you should update due to the fixed bug.

@Morgan: That depends on how your interpret "upgrading" (as the OS or the LW upgrade).

If you run LW 2015.3, you should not upgrade your OS to Mojave, because then you're in trouble.
    If you run LW 2018 on Mojave, you should upgrade, because then you get the latest fix which works.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast