Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LW blast from the past! The FIRST version of LW for PC!

The thing that impressed me was that the signatures were likely intended to be seen by fellow tinkerers.

...or maybe they were to provide some humanity so that when you took the thing apart to repair it, you wouldn't be blindly cursing. You'd know there was somebody that put themselves into the product. With that in mind, perhaps Lightwave's "About" window could default (optional) as the splash screen at each startup.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Still have my broken A1200, an A600 (merely a shell),
    I am an Amigaholic (I freely admit that) and I had never even heard of the A600! How did you get it and why is it just a shell?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    I started with the very first Amiga and then graduated to the 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000, and finally went PC when it went there. Boy did I spend a lot of money!!

But, no sweat, I made money over the last 33+ years!!
    To say nothing of getting an A-list education in 3d ANIMATION THE MINUTE IT WAS POSSIBLE! Take that unaffordable college, self-education is mighty fine!

Mac did the same thing

At about the same time the Amiga was recording the signatures in plastic (aka forever in some landfill some day) the Mac team did the same thing, including Steve Jobs and Macpaint/hypercard author Bill Atkinson.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mac-Case-Sigs.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	142951

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Hm, well I never did own a copy of Deluxe Paint IV but I do still have this gathering dust on one of my shelves:

Attachment 142929

Can you imagine a time back then when the author of Dpaint had a cartoon of himself on the cover of the manual? Just try writing photoshop with one person now. In fact, software does not come in boxes or with physical manuals any more! Good for the trees, not for the collectors. It would be nice to see a computer or software come in a box with the creator's photos on it would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by DonJMyers View Post
    I am an Amigaholic (I freely admit that) and I had never even heard of the A600! How did you get it and why is it just a shell?
    The A600 was originally meant to be called the A300 and sold at a very low price for those users with a low budget. The hardware was identical to the A500, but was converted to SMD. Commodore marketing decided to add more stuff which increased the price too much, and it flunked. It was the first Amiga with the PCMCIA expansion connector, though.

It's the smallest Amiga model, and the reason why I got a shell of an A600 off ebay (for $10) is because I want to use it for a project like this one: https://amigalove.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=636

...if I ever find the time, that is. I would have to give it a paint-job as well: as you can tell from the above photo, the casing has quite yellowed over time.

Read up on the A600 at the Amiga Museum: https://theamigamuseum.com/amiga-models/amiga-600/

The hardware scene for native Amiga hardware is still going strong, amazingly enough.

As for obscure Commodore computers, many people aren't aware of the existence of the C65, the follow up model of the famous C64:

Only around 50~200 still exist. One got sold at $25.000 a couple of years ago. You know, I just read that the C64 actually had a new VIC chip that could display 256 colour at 320x200! But still the old 8bit CPU running at 3.5mhz.

The demo disk that shipped with C65 included a demo with a topless blond woman clutching her breasts to show off this mode. Weird times indeed. I didn't believe it until I watched this C65 demo video:

Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Well, if we're posting pictures of Amiga computers, I suppose I should add a link to some pics of a brand-new Amiga 500 that I pulled out of storage a couple months ago:
    https://www.blitter.com/~nebulous/AmigaPhotos.html

And for anyone who needs a refresher on using an Amiga, here's a 14-part series (perhaps a lead-up to getting the ol' Toaster or Flyer system running again?):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxgRtRP71E
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Thanks for sharing this. It's interesting to see how far the program has developed. I remember my first computer from the early 1990s and I thought I was something special with 4 MBs of RAM. LOL.

If you still like the C64, check out what a guy is doing with a VIC
    http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5315

Hiya!

Quote Originally Posted by Imageshoppe View Post
    My first PC to run LW was a custom build Pentium 100 unit, with a massive 5" 1 gig hard drive for data, and the whole thing cost 4 grand if I remember right, along with a 17" monitor. 4 grand buys a WHOLE lot of computer today...
    Holy Cow! Sounds like my first computer: ASUS motherboard, Pentium 100 (I remember having to wait two weeks for them to hit market), 1.02gb Connor HD, 17" NEC monitor, Fujitsu 104k FKG4700 series Keyboard (iirc...hold on...yup; and yes, I still have it!), NEC 4x CDROM (with 'caddie' for CD's), ATI Mach64 +2MB (iirc), AWE64 Gold for sound, and, brace yourself, 32MB RAM (yes...I splurged...what's $1500 for 32 MB of ram?). Oh, and the whole thing was SCSI as well! Man. That computer was the top-of-the-line model. It was touted as the "best" computer in the entire city (Whitehorse, Yukon)...and I tend to believe it because the company and guy who owned said company built it for me. His company was the primary computer dealer for our city and the entire Yukon Government.

I think I paid $5200 for it all. Or rather, my parents did.

I also remember hitting the yearly trade show that year and seeing a guy (can't remember his company name) who was, as far as I know, the ONLY guy in town doing 3D. He was running a DX66 or something. I talked to him for a half hour or so...he told me and showed me all the animations he does (guess?...yeah...'flying logos', pretty much exclusively). His weapon of choice? ... ... Lightwave! I couldn't afford Lightwave so I decided on a somewhat newcomer to Windows; Caligari trueSpace2. And the rest, as they say, is history.
    ^_^

Paul L. Ming

=2x Xeon E5-2699v4, Asus Z10PE-D8WS, 128GB ECCDDR4 2400, 1x FirePro W9100 32gb, Samsung M.2 960 PRO 2TB, SB ZxR, 2x BENQ Zowie 27", Dell Ultrasharp U3417W, Cintiq 27" QHD Touch=

I gotta admit, I didn't know what the Toaster was when I was offered one. Oh well...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

As this topic has persisted without redaction, I assume NewTek is okay with the discussion and sharing of vintage LW. I just stumbled on to this other option...

https://archive.org/details/LightwaveForPlayStation

The installer is useless on modern systems but the program can run portably, without installation.

As someone who still uses a USB dongle, even for LW2019, I was surprised to see that this old LW4 is still fully functional (including file saving & rendering) when my USB dongle is plugged in. I don't recall my dongle was ever associated with LW4 (it was a parallel->USB trade when I upgraded LW5 to LW7).

Of course, NewTek, if you have issue with it, please send a DMCA notice to archive.org.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123