Thread: Standard and AE2 file recording types explained..., please.

2005 NewTek Demo Guru

Standard and AE2 file recording types explained..., please.

After reading several posts regarding QuickTime & MPEG-2 recording options, can someone explain or provide more detail on what file type and data rate is actually being created when recorded?

For example, on AE2 there are no options for recording, just a selection to where the file should go. So what file type and what data rate is being recorded? Is this a MPEG-2 file, or an XDCAM file wrapped as MPEG-2 or .MOV?

On standard edition the choices are QuickTime 4:2:2 & 4:2:0. MPEG-2 also at 4:2:2 and 4:2:0. Same question, what file type is actually being created with each and what is the data rate?

I've been having some issues on other systems playing back files, not necessarily because they are .MOVs or MPGs, but because the date rates are very high. This is why I would like to know whats actually being recorded. Please look at the attached photo from MediaInfo on a Standard Edition MPEG-2 4:2:0 recording that shows a bit rate of 88Mbps. Our master control system cannot play anything higher than 50Mbps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Standard.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	142846

And here is a photo from MediaInfo on an Advanced Edition recording, it has a .mov extension and is described as QuickTime MPEG-4, but notice the video properties are MPEG-2 with a bit rate of 102Mbps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Advanced.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	142847

If someone could flash some light on what's actually what, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Jonathan Crowe
    ETV Engineer
    www.etvhuntsville.com

In AE2, the files are QuickTime/XDCAM style files. The Codec ID is exactly the same as what Sony uses when XDCAM material is stored in a QuickTime file. Data rates depends on the resolution/frame rate of the video, but 1080i will usually be around 100mbit/s.

Typically Sony XDCAM data rate ranges from 17.5mbit/s up to 50mbit/s, TriCaster does push this up to 100mbit/s. Attached below is a little more information that might be helpful.

NewTek Recording Formats.pdf
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

2005 NewTek Demo Guru
    Kane, thank you. If this has been presented or explained before, I'm sorry that I missed it. If not, thanks again for giving these details.

One follow up question; your post describes the AE2 files (where you have no choice for recording type), on Standard Edition I'm guessing the "QuickTime" choices are just like the ones you mentioned above, XDCAM style files? So, what exactly are the MPEG-2 choices on Standard Edition? Are they actually MPEG-2 files?
    Jonathan Crowe
    ETV Engineer
    www.etvhuntsville.com

As I understand (and I could be wrong) the MPEG-2 and QuickTime formats are basically the same 'compression data' one is stored in a QuickTime file tagged with the XDCAM codec ID and the other is the data stored in a MPEG-2 file format.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

SInce there is no graph in that recording format file for AE1, I am assuming they are the same as Standard.
    Since Standard 1080i work in Final Cut and I see that in AE2 1080i does not.
    Ed
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

I am still on AE1 with my 860. Not sure I like that in AE2 you no longer have choices of formats to record in...
    I dont understand why they would do that.
    Ed
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

Optimizations. Get the best performance out of one format.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.