Thread: Boolean Question

Boolean Question

Am I doing something wrong here?

I am trying to cut or leave an impression of layer one into layer two using the Boolean tool but it is not working for me.

Anyone have time to have a look please and thank you.

LW 11.6.3 PC
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Joey_C View Post
    Am I doing something wrong here?

I am trying to cut or leave an impression of layer one into layer two using the Boolean tool but it is not working for me.

Anyone have time to have a look please and thank you.

LW 11.6.3 PC
    You have subpatches on, freeze the subpatched object and try again.

Ok THANK YOU.

How do I Freeze it?

If you press ’O’ you bring up the option dialog there you can set the subpatch divisions. Lower values = lower amount of polys after freezing. Then go to the construct tab and find the freeze button.

When ready activate layer 2 and make layer 1 a background layer and do the boolean operation.

Ok THANK YOU very much sir!

Sorry to bug you but yes I did freeze layer 2 the big blue blob and I tried all four Boolean options (Union, Intersect, Subtract, add) and none of them left the indention of layer one in layer two. Would you be so kind to do it and send me the object back? I think it would be less time then to bug you writing back forth. Thank you for your help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey_C View Post
    Sorry to bug you but yes I did freeze layer 2 the big blue blob and I tried all four Boolean options (Union, Intersect, Subtract, add) and none of them left the indention of layer one in layer two. Would you be so kind to do it and send me the object back? I think it would be less time then to bug you writing back forth. Thank you for your help!!!
    Both layers need to be frozen.

Here's the object.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok, having looked at it...

Use tab to toggle subpatches on and off - make sure your have nothing but faces.

Make sure Layer 2 is the foreground, and layer 1 is in the background.

Construct -> Boolean -> subtract. Wait a bit, this will take a few seconds.

Using good old basic mesh tools (delete, merge) clean the mess up, and make sure you have all triangle and quads., press tab to toggle back to subpatches.
    My recommendation : Use a mesh that's less dense, if you can. Makes clean up much easier, plus you've less to fiddle with.
    Eliminate overlaps in your cutting object. Seperate out into layers, and subtract them, one layer at a time, cleaning up between each one. Or union them into one mesh, your choice.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Ah, I see! I didn't Freeze both layers. Ok let me try it now on my own. THANK YOU for all you time and help "Ztreem"!!!!

THANK YOU Kryslin I will try this.

Ctrl-D is the shortcut to freeze any subpatched object, and it will freeze to that level you have set in the General Options/subpatch divisions..itīs a bit faster.
    Shift-T to triple if you you got ngons etc .

You can speed up your booleans by selecting only the polygons in the foreground layer that intersect the cutting object.

And if you use Drill -> Stencil on a complex curved model, be sure to select the polygons adjacent to the stenciled area and triple them.
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

You can even have both objects in the same layer to make positioning, etc. easier; and use the Speed Boolean tools. You only need to select one or more polys to set your foreground object. The only slight downside of Speed Boolean is that it deletes your work objects to leave only the boolean result. This is fine if you no longer need the components, of course.
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Commercial Lwcad has realtime booleans for a lot of stuff, and of course 3rd powers metamesh and boolean tool for realtime stuff.

If not getting some of that, and if you can afford doing booleans in other software..and then import to lightwave, then Blenders brush booleans is awesome, works in realtime if you use brush booleans, and it can be none destructive and changed by altering the cut object at any time.