Thread: Ann: AR Portfolio 2.0

Ann: AR Portfolio 2.0

AR Portfolio is an artist-centric way to quickly create an augmented reality app for Android and iOS. If you're looking into augmented reality, definitely check this out!

About a year ago, I was asked to make an augmented reality product for a client. I used Unity and an off-the-shelf toolkit that shall remain nameless. It was a nightmare. Half of it didn't work at all, and the part that did work cost so much my client couldn't afford to keep their app in the App Store.

Now, I've been using Unity since v1.0. If I'm having that amount of trouble with it, I bet a lot of other people are, too. So I started the long journey towards creating my own Unity based AR solution, and here we are.

AR Portfolio 2 has all of the features of the previous versions, but is now solely based in ARCore and ARKit, and Unity. No other libraries or products. That means...
    1) Whatever you build, is yours. No license fees.
    2) No obnoxious branding by third parties.
    3) The Ground plane actually works right, on Android. It works really, really well.
    4) Your entire product is in the device, not stored on a cloud. So it will work anywhere, even without wifi or a good connection
    5) Your entire product is in the device, and not stored with a third party. If I finally buy that island, move there, and close shop, it won't affect you. Your product will still work. That's not the case with a lot of AR products right now.
    6) It's cheap. Because I am terrible at pricing software. Mine costs less for the whole product ($49) than some of the other products cost per month.
    7) There's no cap on how many views your product can get, or how much data your product takes up.
    8) It's based on the latest vendor designed toolkits, so it's going to work really, really well, with future products, immediately.
    9) It's up to date. Some of the other AR vendors require that you use older versions of Java or Unity or this or that. Not mine. Mine works on all the new stuff. So just download all the news stuff and you're gold.
    10) I update it immediately after new stuff comes out, because I use it, too.

Here's the toolkit. I'll be posting some videos soon that show the whole pipeline, but it's essentially the same as what you see here. All drag and drop, all pre-configured for you. Not a lot of additional steps, and everything has been thoroughly tested on a wide variety of machines.

AR Portfolio on Liberty3D.com

As always, Questions and Feedback are always welcome and requested

Also, there's a playlist of AR Portfolio use cases on YouTube, which you can find here:

Thanks!
    -Chilton

** Also, this is a free upgrade for existing users. **

Just reuse the download link you got before, it will now download the 2.0 version.

-Chilton

Thanks for the upgrade, Chilton
    I haven't had the opportunity to play with it at the moment (none of my devices support it), but it will eventually change if a project I have in mind comes to life.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

This is really cool.

Frequenter
    Way cool!!! :-)

Many thanks for the upgrade, AR Portfolio 2.0 looks great thus far! Thanks!
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

I know some of you aren't on Facebook, and I'm only posting this link because my recording didn't capture all of the video. I'm going to do another one tomorrow though, and I'll post that to YouTube.

This is Oculus Medium to AR Portfolio.
    https://www.facebook.com/chiltonwebb...5841984180794/

(The next one will likely be the Medium to LightWave to AR Portfolio I tried and failed to make earlier in the week)

-Chilton