Thread: TriCaster Mini Altering Pitch of Audio

TriCaster Mini Altering Pitch of Audio

Our church purchased a TriCaster Mini several months ago. It was professionally installed. We use a Behringer x32 console to mix the audio that feeds the Mini. The video is flawless but the audio that gets recorded on the Mini is pitched down roughly 2 whole steps (I'm an audio/music guy). To me it sounds like there is an audio sample rate mismatch somewhere in the signal path. That doesn't make sense because the audio into the Tricaster Mini is an analog signal.
    For what it's worth, the Behringer x32 operates at either 48k or 44.1K sample rates and to my knowledge, the TriCaster operates at 96k only. Could this be the issue?

In searching the posts I came across several users having similar issues but none of these were occuring on a Tricaster Mini.

This one,

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...-Pitch-Altered

is the most similar to what is happening with us but it's on a different system. At the end of the thread, Kane Phillips reports that a new build is available that fixes the audio bug.

Is anyone having this issue on a TriCaster Mini? All the latest updates have been done. Is there an update that I'm unaware of, or a new build that might fix this problem?

Here are specs for our system:

TriCaster Mini
    Build# 2-5-151124B

Card 0 info:
    Driver 1.99.2 Sep-2015
    Core 3CF6 25-Apr-2017
    Config: 40HDMI v2 FPGA in
    Cyclone-IV: 50K Gates
    Link x4
    Board 2.0
    Panel: Unknown
    Video card: NVIDEO GeForce GT 730

I'm stumped and the guys who installed the thing are too. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

You're right that the sample rate should not matter one bit, as you are capturing an analog signal.

Your software is 3 years old, so the first thing I would do it UPDATE the system. Don't use the updater in ADMIN panel. Go to Windows browser and manually download and install latest software direct from Newtek site. Might also need to manually get latest Win 7 64-bit driver for GeForce card and install that as well, get from nvidia.com website.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Many thanks Jeff. Will try these fixes and post outcome.

I am using a Tricaster Mini with AE in a very similar church media system. I have been using the TC mini for 2 years now. Started off with SE and upgraded to AE last April. The first couple of times I tried to update the Mini with SE it didn't take. You can do Alt+B on your keyboard and it will display your current version at the top of the monitor screen. I had to do what Jeff suggested by updating through Windows and use the browser. I also download the update to my laptop first and put it on a flash drive. Then I go into Windows on the Mini and update from the flash drive. I have found that if I have used the same session for a long time it can develop glitches. Creating a new session sometimes fixes any problems that I am having. I hope this info helps, good luck Berry.
    Mark Hammonds
    Technical Director
    TriCaster: Mini (with AE3), Connect Spark,
    5 Katovision PTZ cameras, KT-610C controller
    Live video production and streaming

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    Hi Mark,

As a general rule, I will create a template session for a production, and then create a new session using that template for each show. This avoids the session corruption problem, but also gives you a known start point for each show without worrying if something was inadvertently changed or deleted during the 'fog of war' in a previous show.

Just a thought.

Best,
    -john
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I’ll add to my friend John’s post in what I train, for “known” setups like a studio or church, to create a session called Master or I-O Template. Then in this session just setup all inputs and outputs as well as use the naming ability for many of the inputs and outputs. No media.
    Now exit and in Manage, backup this Session
    Exit to Main and make a New Session and name it something like Sunday Service Template. Drop down the use template directly under the name and choose your Master template.
    Go into Live and add only media used in this production. Think Theme based not episode specific.
    Now when you are doing your Sunday service production, as an example, you create a New Session. You could leave the default todays date and add Sunday to it. Then drop down the use template and choose Sunday Service Template.
    A little work to think of the theme but after that, you get up and running quickly for each event and the added bonus is, all media you import to that session or capture, is in its own session so it’s easier to search for media. Also right click on a session to delete it which makes cleaning up your hard drives a snap
    Triple bonus: do your back up template sessions to an external drive. Now you can use the restore feature in the Open menu to load it into any TriCaster with similar software build

Take care,
    Last edited by joseburgos; 08-22-2018 at 06:07 AM.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Also don't record in your templates other wise all session made from it as a template, will have this capture in it.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Thank you John and Jose for your knowledge and experience. I had thought about creating a master session, but it was always after I had recorded to it. I will have to create a master session with that in mind from the start and keep it pure and clean. I am new to this blog and the info that I am finding hear is priceless. Thanks again
    Mark Hammonds
    Technical Director
    TriCaster: Mini (with AE3), Connect Spark,
    5 Katovision PTZ cameras, KT-610C controller
    Live video production and streaming