Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What hardware for LightWave 2018?

What hardware for LightWave 2018?

Hi, everyone. I'm thinking of upgrading to LW 2018, but my current desktop is fairly old. Technically, my current machine meets the specs, but I really don't want LW to drag on it. I really should get a new pc. How many cores can 2018 use, how much RAM can it handle, that sort of thing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I currently run LW2018 on an ancient i7-960 machine w/24GB of ram (See signature line for the specs). Lightwave, under most conditions, is pretty snappy. Render times are a matter that has to be dealt with on a scene by scene basis. I've only run out of memory once, and not in Lightwave (Minecraft, running a large explosion)(However, if you have FiberFX applied to an object or objects, it will Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag badly. 15-30 seconds between frames in layout.)

That said, to answer your questions : Lightwave can use up to 64 threads, and as much ram as you can throw at it. Since not everyone can afford a AMD Threadripper-2990x (32 cores/ 64 Threads) or an Epyx (same) server processor and 128 / 256GB ram, I would recommend at least an i7 @ 3.2 Ghz, 32GB of ram, and a decent graphics card (I run a 6Gb GTX-980Ti), and 2 monitors, at least 1920 x 1080 resolution. A good mouse and keyboard (I use a corsair platinum backlit keyboard and a corsair gaming mouse) help as well.

If you're going to overclock, I would recommend a closed loop water cooler, and keeping your workstation in an area where you have adequate airflow.

For boot speed, I'd recommend a SSD of sufficient size, and a couple of high capacity drives in a RAID setup that automatically mirrors the drives for your data.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilCarpenter View Post
    Hi, everyone. I'm thinking of upgrading to LW 2018, but my current desktop is fairly old. Technically, my current machine meets the specs, but I really don't want LW to drag on it. I really should get a new pc. How many cores can 2018 use, how much RAM can it handle, that sort of thing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Some poeople here are very happy with the older 1st threadripper 1950x(16cores)
    If & when you upgrade get the Mobo that would take also the new Threadripper(32 cores)also
    Fastest Memory u can scrape to.
    1000 watt psu.
    Nvidia GPU cards (1000 series : min 6 mb on board) [ U can add here laster with Amflamtec pci-e ext cards.]
    Corsair Watercool the above Card.
    Samsung EVO ssd 500GB drive ( i swear by'em) may be x2 (one for O/S one for Apps & Cache/Sims)
    2TB Hybrid SSHD Drive-Harddrive (storage) + & /or 1 samsung Evo.

The idea is to get down those bottlenecks + 2monitors that can spread out all Lightwave windows to your liking.

lastly post it & bench will you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    I currently run LW2018 on an ancient i7-960 machine w/24GB of ram (See signature line for the specs). Lightwave, under most conditions, is pretty snappy. Render times are a matter that has to be dealt with on a scene by scene basis. I've only run out of memory once, and not in Lightwave (Minecraft, running a large explosion)(However, if you have FiberFX applied to an object or objects, it will Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag badly. 15-30 seconds between frames in layout.)

That said, to answer your questions : Lightwave can use up to 64 threads, and as much ram as you can throw at it. Since not everyone can afford a AMD Threadripper-2990x (32 cores/ 64 Threads) or an Epyx (same) server processor and 128 / 256GB ram, I would recommend at least an i7 @ 3.2 Ghz, 32GB of ram, and a decent graphics card (I run a 6Gb GTX-980Ti), and 2 monitors, at least 1920 x 1080 resolution. A good mouse and keyboard (I use a corsair platinum backlit keyboard and a corsair gaming mouse) help as well.

If you're going to overclock, I would recommend a closed loop water cooler, and keeping your workstation in an area where you have adequate airflow.

For boot speed, I'd recommend a SSD of sufficient size, and a couple of high capacity drives in a RAID setup that automatically mirrors the drives for your data.
    good advice. do that and you are good to go

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Samsung EVO ssd 500GB drive ( i swear by'em) may be x2 (one for O/S one for Apps & Cache/Sims)
    yeah samsung evo are great. i recommend getting at minimum, the 500, having just had to swap out my couple month old 250gb for a 500gb.

also, get the pro version. its the same cost.

use the free samsung data migration software from their site. works great.

Thanks, everyone! This is just what I need.

I, too, use a Samsung evo 1Tb SSD, along with a set of 500Gb drives in a RAID set up. My biggest problem is air circulation through the case. I've got to rebuild part of my computer desk (drop the CPU shelf, replace the shelf itself with a lattice - those changes will give me more airflow, and should drop case temps by 10C), and when I do that, I should be able to open up the case and evict all the dust bunnies...

Whatever case you use for your new rig, make sure it has filters, especially if you're in a dusty environment, have pets, etc., and to clean the regularly.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

alternatives >

i7   (cheap)
    Ryzen 7 1700   (alright)
    Threadripper   (expensive)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Can LW take advantage of dual CPU's? I'm thinking about spec'ing in dual Xeons on our new PCs.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Yup....for render

Not a big difference during the creation process though.

+1 for Samsung ssd

I have used like 4-5 different brands as I have 5 machines and 3 SSD for 4k camera recorders and the Samsung are really good.

The only other one to consider is intel SSD, but Samsung are usually a cheaper option.

I plan on getting the new 64 thread Threadripper late this year or early next year when I want to begin to use LW 2018 for some production work. I'm still playing around with Octane and testing it but I'm not sure I want to put a bunch of money into a fast GPU set up rather than a fast CPU set up. It would be out of my budget to have both a super fast GPU and CPU so I will have to choose one or the other. I'm still leaning towards the newest fastest Threadripper.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

My next machine will be a Threadripper based machine as well, probably next summer. Don't know if it will be a 16 or 32 core machine, though. My biggest problem is finding a case that will fit in my available space that will handle everything I want to put into it. Mountain Mods has a couple of good cases, but the price...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Threadripper is nice, i just wish the motherboards were cheaper, right now the cost is $300

a Ryzen 7 motherboards is $60
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

If you think that's bad, price 128gb of DDR4 RAM. Depending on speed, $1.3K - $2.1K USD (8 x 16gb kit).
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast