Thread: Recurring problem with Sony SRG-300SE PTZ Cameras

Exclamation Recurring problem with Sony SRG-300SE PTZ Cameras

Hello all,

We are having a recurring problem with our PTZ cameras. We use 2 Sony SRG-300SE cameras that are connected through SDI to ATMOS Connect-ACs for HDMI, and control them through ethernet using the Sony RM-IP10 Remote IP Controller. We have a Tricaster Mini using SE build #2-6-170817C. The problem we have is with the PTZ presets: every time we try to use a preset the camera will lose connection. We've tried loading the presets using the mouse to click and using the controller. It takes at least 10 minutes before the connection comes back on it's own, or we have to physically unplug it. We've also tried saving new presets will no avail. Is there something we're doing wrong with the setup for it to continue to do this? Any help or insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0427.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	142370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6009.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	142371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4975.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	142372

Please clarify - are you attempting to use presets within the TriCaster PTZ interface, or are you talking about the Sony controller presets only? You mentioned using the mouse, so perhaps you are trying to use both the Sony AND TriCaster controls to control the same cameras? If so, I can see where those two controllers would conflict with one another, vying for control. Trying to serve two masters never works out well.

I would suggest using one or the other only and that ought to resolve the issue for you.

As for the SDI > HDMI converters, that would have nothing to do with any control issues, totally separate circuit.

Thanks

Jeff
    Last edited by JPulera; 07-26-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

We’re using the presets that we save in the Tricaster. The RM-IP Controller maps to those same presets. We don’t set anything up using the controller. We just use it for PTZ control. It did this before we even started using the controller.

So when the Sony controller is NOT connected at all, you still have the same control connection/delay issues between TC Mini and PTZ cameras? Just was not clear in original post. What connection protocol preset are you selecting in the PTZ Config panel? Sometimes the obvious choice that seems to best match the camera does not work, for instance with PTZ Optics cameras and RS-232 serial control, I get great results with the Sony preset and PTZ Optics doesn't work well for me, go figure, so maybe need to try another option.

Thank you

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Yes, that is correct. Even if the controller is not connected, the connection between the TC Mini and the cameras is dropped. We control the cameras over ethernet because our cameras are too far away for any other connection. We also connect SDI to HDMI for picture. It doesn't matter what we control the cameras with (TC Mini or the Sony Controller) the cameras ALWAYS lose connection (blue screen) every time we try to use a preset. We've tried all the options that we have available. I don't know what else to say or any more clear than what I have already said. We go straight from the cameras to our network hub then straight into the TC Mini. I guess there isn't a fix or a solution so we'll continue not using presets and just adjust manually. Thanks.

It sounds like if you only use the Sony controller, you also have the same preset issue? That seems like a network issue of some sort. I've worked with a bunch of TriCaster with PTZ camera installs, but always with Serial or NDI, so don't have network PTZ experience and am not very handy with network issues at all actually. But if I'm understand things, the TriCaster can be removed from the equation and this boils down to something with cameras or network then.

How far is cable run to cameras? I've had great success connecting RS-232 serial cameras to TriCaster using converter boxes from Rocosoft.com that convert serial jack of camera to Cat-5 which you then run the distance to TriCaster, and Cat-5 cables from each camera all connect to junction box that connects to TriCaster via USB and JUST. WORKS. PERIOD.

Cameras are not on the network at all, no IP addresses to set, just functions all the time, trouble free. Not inexpensive, but definitely an elegant solution: https://www.rocosoft.com/product/ptz...rol-cable-set/

While the Rocosoft solution would work nicely with TriCaster, you would then not use the Sony controller at all, being removed from equation. Back to the "can't use both" issue.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera