Thread: Ultra Low Latency for Interactive Streaming

Ultra Low Latency for Interactive Streaming

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on streaming point to point interactive video.

I've been asked to set up a system that will allow a speaker to virtually attend a conference via live video. The speaker will need to be able to converse and answer audience questions so the stream must have sub 2sec latency. I'll be streaming from a studio in Toronto, Canada to locations in the US and Europe. The stream will only be sent to a single location and not broadcast publicly.

I'll be streaming from a TC1 and the end display will be a life size projection. There will also be a PTZ camera streaming back to the studio.

Does anyone have experience using cloud servers such as Wowza or Quantil? I'm also looking at multinode NDI using Sienna which I suspect operates in the same way. Is there a simpler way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

—Micah

Why not use Skype TX? It's built into the TC1 and you probably would have about half second of latency in most cases. All he needs on the remote end is a Skype client, having a good webcam (like a Logitech C920) can be a plus.
    Last edited by kanep; 07-24-2018 at 01:09 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for the suggestion Kane. I did a test this afternoon and it was worked well except the quality is low. I don't seem to be able to send 1080 video over Skype. Do you know if this is a software limitation? I'm projecting a life size image onto a wire mesh for a holographic effect which is already muddying the picture so I need the best quality I can get.

Skype is quality is automatic, it will be limited to webcam capabilities. A webcam like the Logitech C920 does support 1080p, most devices will typically work up to 720p without issue, but above 720p isn't that common. Some device might have lower than 720p cameras. However if the bandwidth or connection is poor, quality can be lower. Was the remote person on wired, WiFi or cellular? Wired is typically the best way to go. What kind of Skype source, a computer or mobile device?

Also, Skype starts with a low quality image and builds from there, it isn't uncommon to give it a minute or two to dial up to higher quality. Finally, I've found that motion will also help get higher quality, if it is a very static image (like a camera with no one in front of it) the quality might not improve quickly, because there is no need for it to.

Here is some other information that might help. https://233b1d13b450eb6b33b4-ac2a332...LN-2015-V2.pdf
    Last edited by kanep; 07-24-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

We've had issues with C920 webcams only getting to 360p since Microsoft did a Skype TX channel update late last summer. I worked with NewTek support/engineering and they figured out that you can get the camera to 720p or 1080p by manually adjusting the camera settings. I was able to get the C920 to 1080p everytime by disabling the Rightlight option. We started recommending the C922 vs C920 webcam for our customers guests as it seems to better handle low light scenes. The Skype client user will need to download the Logitech Gaming Software for the C922 webcam and select the webcam icon to get to the advanced settings. The C920 webcam control app can be found at: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/pr...etting-started

You're correct that the resolution obtained is directly related to their Internet bandwidth, wired preferred over Wi-Fi and we've found that lighting can be a big factor.

TC1 Skype TX currently only supports 720p. It's supposed to support 1080p in the next release, but no guarantee.
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

TriCaster: 460 AE
    TalkShow: VS4000
    Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText
    Cameras: 2-Sony PMW-X70, Sony PXW-Z150

Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

If Skypes not working out for you then Live U or dejero would work fine, that's what a lot of the broadcasters I work for tend to use more and more in lieu of sat links. Works on bonded sims or wired ethernet. It's a bit more fiddly to set up than Skype, but if you have the budget for hiring one or buying one it's decent. I've been using a live U for streaming some premier league pre season stuff, from locations around Europe back to the clubs stadium and it's been excellent quality, but it needs a bucket load of bandwidth.

This is of course only if Skype won't give you the quality you need in this scenario, I use Skype for loads of things as well.