• Win - Always

69 57.50%
  • Win - Sometimes

11 9.17%
  • Win - Never

22 18.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you use the Hub?

I find the hub to be a key part of my workflow using Lightwave. I jump back and forth from Modeler to Layout constantly while working with the hub keeping everything updated. I have experienced some weirdness and sync issues from time to time but I find that they are minimal.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

I used to exclusively have it disabled because it caused too many problems and impeded my workflow more than it was actually helping it.

With 2018 I forgot to disable it, and it actually has been behaving for the most part. 'For the most part' meaning I can't point out an issue where I directly saw, "Oh, this this the Hub doing its thing".

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    I used to exclusively have it disabled because it caused too many problems and impeded my workflow more than it was actually helping it.

With 2018 I forgot to disable it, and it actually has been behaving for the most part. 'For the most part' meaning I can't point out an issue where I directly saw, "Oh, this this the Hub doing its thing".
    This is kind of my experience as well. Prior to 2018, Hub was so unstable on Mac LW, that I always renamed it (thereby disabling it on Mac). I never bothered doing so for LW2018, and thus far Hub has been well-behaved.

That said, I guess I have seen Layout object changes cause Modeler to crash a few times on Mac LW2018, which appears to be Hub-related, but not enough to make me disable it yet.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I find the hub to be a key part of my workflow using Lightwave. I jump back and forth from Modeler to Layout constantly while working with the hub keeping everything updated. I have experienced some weirdness and sync issues from time to time but I find that they are minimal.
    That more or less matches my experience. I definitely work more efficiently with Hub enabled.

When I might see problems with Hub (i.e., crashing) is when I forget to turn off VPR before switching back and forth. If VPR is off, switching with Hub is reasonably stable for me.

Never, I always set my exe with a -0 to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    That more or less matches my experience. I definitely work more efficiently with Hub enabled.

When I might see problems with Hub (i.e., crashing) is when I forget to turn off VPR before switching back and forth. If VPR is off, switching with Hub is reasonably stable for me.
    Turning off VPR is also something I'm in the habit of doing when going back and forth as well. It seems to keep things more stable and a bit snappier.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Never.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

there is no sanctuary....
    I was having crashing problems and disabled it. Missed it enough to stop upgrading in place, solved most of my crashes and I turned it back on.
    Bill Carey

I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 417.71
    LW 2019.1 x64
    Space Navigator

I voted never, but I've used it a few times. Almost never. I don't do a lot of modeling, but when I do, it's just modeling. Not modeling and rendering, or rendering and modeling. I don't wear two hats at the same time.

Frequenter
    I use it always, never even tried to use LW without. I on some occasions had the situation that VPR did not like the changes I did in modeler, but learned to "respect" that and (in most cases) act accordingly... For me a very small annoyance - despite that It serves me quite well. wouldnīt want to work without it.
    I am on Win7 - not sure if that might make a difference in regards to general stability...

our soundcloud discussion in the hub
    some good stuff and info , take a listen

https://soundcloud.com/steven-scott-...ve3d-hot-topic

For me 2018 modeler crash alot when working in layout, more than 2015. This on Mac OS. I have started to turn the hub off.

Thumbs down

Okay, I understand that things have changed for LW2018, but up through LW2015 the way to disable the Hub in LW for Mac was to rename it (f.e. to "~Hub" aka "~Hub.app"). It was quick, it was easy, and it allowed users to continue to launch the existing Layout and Modeler apps as normal. For some time, renaming the Hub on Mac was equivalent to putting "-0" in the app's command line in the icons on Windows. Because there's no easy way to change the launch command line for apps on Mac, this was a convenient, well-known and workable solution -- and a needed one, because the Hub was famous for greatly reducing stability on Mac for many years.

Now, with LW2018, renaming the hub (aka "the prior-standard approach to disabling the Hub on Mac") causes both Modeler and Layout to crash on launch -- at least that's what they do here, anyway. I'd be interested if they don't do that elsewhere?

The readme file details a process by which Mac users can use TextEdit to create Bash scripts to provide a means for launching Layout and Modeler apps with hub disabled, and use chmod (!) to enable the execute permissions on the user-created scripts, setting up those to be able to be launched by double-clicking from Finder. Hilariously, they only even tell users how to do it for Layout, figuring out how to revise the process for for Modeler is left as an exercise for the user. It's worth noting the process is significantly more complicated than the equivalent process on Windows (adding "-0" to a field in each app's icon cmd line), and most importantly, is not at all how such things are normally handled on Mac.

Mac has a "standard" approach for altering apps' default properties, using the "defaults" command-line tool -- f.e. something like "defaults write com.newtek.lightwave3d DisableHub -bool true" would be a reasonable choice for LW. It's well-documented in the macOS developer documentation, and (even better than the Windows approach, should theoretically not need to be redone between revisions). Alas, Newtek makes no use of it.

Even if the devs are hell-bent on forcing LW users on Mac to use Bash scripts to do so, Newtek could at least provide those scripts in a "Misc" folder in the Mac LW install distribution or such. They do not. Instead, they just tell users to open TextEdit and use that to create the script, launch terminal and use chmod to make the script executable, and so forth. Between breaking a long-standing, well-known method for how to disable the Hub on Mac (and having Layout and Modeler crash instead), not using the macOS-standard defaults facility, nor even bothering to provide convenience scripts for Mac LW customers, this feels very much like LW devs putting their own convenience ahead of customers.

Newtek needs do a better job dealing with this situation. Either they need to (ideally) make the old approach work again, use the "defaults" facility to control launching with Hub disabled, or provide Mac LW customers with pre-built (& properly authorized) utility scripts to launch Layout and Modeler without Hub. The current non-approach is also non-acceptable.
    Last edited by jwiede; 07-21-2018 at 08:04 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Mac users - in the Hub/options - set Automatic Shutdown to 1 hour. I (currently!) have not had a crashing issue since doing it

Hello BeeVee,

I always use the HUB !
    Eddy Marillat - PIXYM
    WS : MB ASUS X299-Pro/SE - i9 7980XE 2,6ghz 18C/36T - 32GB Ram- 2 GTX 1080 TI - Win 10 64
    GPU Net Rig : MB Biostar - Celeron 2,8 ghz 2C/2T - 8GB Ram - 2 RTX 2080 TI - Win 7 64

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast