Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terragen 4.2 released (+new GAEA and World Machine updates)

Terragen 4.2 released (+new GAEA and World Machine updates)

Terragen 4.2 released with massive render speed improvements (for example 12m19s down to 2m34s).

https://planetside.co.uk/news/terrag...pdate-release/

LWO3 is not supported unfortunately, I just tested this with the newest release of Terragen Professional 4.2.

Many great landscape updates recently!

Currently I'm working in Vue xStream 2016.6 which is more stable than ever, GAEA which gets frequent updates, now with sculpting / directed erosion and World Machine 3022 with the new Snow device and many other improvements.

Hi Marander,

thanks for the info.

can you talk a bit about GAEA, i am thinking of buying it, but i am not sure if it can compete with world machine, which makes really great landscapes, actually a cannot decide

thx alex
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

Just curious, does this release write over the previous install..meaning you can not open and test your already made scenes with that version, It doesnīt matter if this release can not open those scenes..but I would like to go back
    and check my older scenes.

To note..the rendering speed enhancements seem to only pertain Terrains, not the atmospheric and clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by alexs3d View Post
    Hi Marander,

thanks for the info.

can you talk a bit about GAEA, i am thinking of buying it, but i am not sure if it can compete with world machine, which makes really great landscapes, actually a cannot decide

thx alex
    Hello Alex

This is a quite difficult question / decision because they have their individual strenghts. I sometimes use a combination because you can also import height maps in GAEA and make some refinements there.

World Machine 3 / Quadspinner GeoGlyph 2

+ WM (specially in combination with GG2) can produce the most accurate and realistic height maps in my opinon
    + WM is great to draw splines or primitives with fractal breakup for mountains, rivers, paths etc.
    + WM has specific River and Snow devices
    + WM can produce tiled maps and therefore giant landscapes
    + WM in the last couple of releases provided significant speed updates and some UI improvements
    + WM's UI runs also on slower machines
    + WM allows to view the end result in stunning 8k with butter smooth navigation
    + GG can produce outstanding results
    + GG improves the WM UI
    - WM is developed by only one person and mostly is not very close to the userbase
    - The WM UI is very outdated in most parts
    - GG is end the end of its life cycle because Quadspinner develops GAEA now
    - The GG implementation in WM is a bit a hack

GAEA

+ Very nice UI
    + Very frequent updates with new features
    + Some very nice features like Directed Erosion, Breaker, Heal etc.
    + Fast build time up to 8k
    + Very easy to use
    - Still in Beta
    - Preview only in 2k (output up to 8k)
    - No splines or primitives for landscape design (yet), mostly procedural
    - the application and UI requires more power and .NET
    - the application uses an online activation for the Indie and Professional version (therefore I got the GAEA Enterprise)

Here are some screenshots:

Attachment 142310

Attachment 142311

Attachment 142312

Attachment 142313

Attachment 142314

Attachment 142315

Attachment 142316

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Just curious, does this release write over the previous install..meaning you can not open and test your already made scenes with that version, It doesnīt matter if this release can not open those scenes..but I would like to go back
    and check my older scenes.

To note..the rendering speed enhancements seem to only pertain Terrains, not the atmospheric and clouds.
    I have upgraded already all machines, I removed TG 4.1.x a while ago because I was using 4.2 Beta / Frontier.

However I think you could select a different path when installing if you like to keep the old version.

Is it "GAEA" or "GAIA"? I'm having problems finding the GAEA website.
    13Jan2020: Lightwave 2019.1.4 Build 3133, win10 pro 1909 build 535, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v441.81 (13Jan2020)

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Is it "GAEA" or "GAIA"? I'm having problems finding the GAEA website.
    See top left on my 2nd screenshot, GAEA

http://quadspinner.com/gaea/

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Terragen 4.2 released with massive render speed improvements (for example 12m19s down to 2m34s).

https://planetside.co.uk/news/terrag...pdate-release/

LWO3 is not supported unfortunately, I just tested this with the newest release of Terragen Professional 4.2.
    My maintenance expired last month, so to get 4.2 atm I'd need to renew. I'm certain I will eventually, but I'm trying to decide whether 4.2 is worth the renewal right this minute.

Anyone with 4.2 have any thoughts/comments/etc. on the performance improvements? Do you find significant performances improvements are fairly "across-the-board" in rendering, or only in highly-specialized cases? In particular, has rendering of skies/cloudscapes and similar volumetrics rendering improved significantly in performance?

I would really appreciate hearing from any folks with 4.2 as to how significant the 4.2 improvements have wound up being for them.

Thanks!
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Hi marander, thx for the explanation, i think i will wait some time and see how GAEA is evolving

alex
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    My maintenance expired last month, so to get 4.2 atm I'd need to renew. I'm certain I will eventually, but I'm trying to decide whether 4.2 is worth the renewal right this minute.

Anyone with 4.2 have any thoughts/comments/etc. on the performance improvements? Do you find significant performances improvements are fairly "across-the-board" in rendering, or only in highly-specialized cases? In particular, has rendering of skies/cloudscapes and similar volumetrics rendering improved significantly in performance?

I would really appreciate hearing from any folks with 4.2 as to how significant the 4.2 improvements have wound up being for them.

Thanks!
    I think the render speed enhancement was only for the terrain..nothing new for the volumetrics/ skies as I understand it.
    I need a better enhanced UI before I seriously start to look in to terragen..I think, I simple loath the controlls of positioning clouds, I also feel them to respond very slowly when tweaking, no good drag sliders either, and weird inputs as punctuation only for it to work properly..no commas.

"I need a better enhanced UI before I seriously start to look in to Terragen ..."

Yes, I've been complaining about the UI for years. Things that come to mind:

Some Tab orders are (my opinion) ridiculous, such as, changing a axis value and hitting Tab takes you to a slider for the same axis instead of the next axis value field (why would you want to do that?)

When you do a crop render and then want to make another one, the program insists clearing the whole render view first. Wouldn't it be nice to do a crop, make a change and do another crop ext to the previous one (to see the effect of your change?)

The "copy this view to the current render button": The button image changes very slightly, say when moving the render camera few meters to the right. The button image change is easy to miss why not make it blink or use some more contrasting color...) This is quite aggravating when you notice you forgot to update your current render after a six hour render (not uncommon for a complex 4k render.)

I really like Terragen but don't understand why the developers think the UI needs to be complicated/unhelpful.
    Last edited by jaf; 07-23-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    13Jan2020: Lightwave 2019.1.4 Build 3133, win10 pro 1909 build 535, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v441.81 (13Jan2020)

"I need a better enhanced UI before I seriously start to look in to Terragen ..."

Yes, I've been complaining about the UI for years. Things that come to mind:

Some Tab orders are (my opinion) ridiculous, such as, changing a axis value and hitting Tab takes you to a slider for the same axis instead of the next axis value field (why would you want to do that?)

When you do a crop render and then want to make another one, the program insists clearing the whole render view first. Wouldn't it be nice to do a crop, make a change and do another crop ext to the previous one (to see the effect of your change?)

The "copy this view to the current render button": The button image changes very slightly, say when moving the render camera few meters to the right. The button image change is easy to miss why not make it blink or use some more contrasting color...) This is quite aggravating when you notice you forgot to update your current render after a six hour render (not uncommon for a complex 4k render.)

I really like Terragen but don't understand why the developers think the UI needs to be complicated/unhelpful.
    yes...it needs a massive overhaul, color UI as well, when checking and unchecking the shader, atmospher and lighting for active parts to be employed within the realtime preview, it is hard to see which one is active or not..they should change that drasticly..preferably with a darker scheme and when those button is checked, they should be highligthed in yellow, blue or something agains a dark grey background..would look great.
    May have to do a UI mockup and send to the developer, as well as ask for simple rotational controlls for easy clouds..it frankly is horrible to adjust position, rotation for clouds...
    moving around with camera and other stuff in navigation isnīt their sweet spot either.

"May have to do a UI mockup and send to the developer ..."

Unfortunately, they don't seem to respond to UI changes -- not sure why. Maybe it's the "expert mentality" where one has to "live in the program" so you can generate a complicated node network to accomplish things the should be simpler, starting at the UI.

And let's not talk about the documentation or the lack of an updated benchmark scene (especially important for new users

Yes that is also my biggest problem with Terragen, the UI, selection and navigation are really weird and not user friendly. I mostly use the XYZ input fields to place objects and that's not really fun. And often I forget to copy the current view to the camera which you will only notice during the render, very annoying concept.

Another thing is the very incomplete online help system / documentation, and the screenshots don't even match the current version.

Let's take for example, description of the Planet_Atmosphere node
    (yes there are some animated pictures and from most names of the parameters you get an idea but still, there should be a complete documentation. This is how the Atmosphere parameters are documented:

https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index....net_Atmosphere

Enable primary: TBC
    Enable secondary: TBC

Haze density: TBC
    Haze horizon colour: TBC
    Haze type: TBC
    Bluesky density: TBC
    Bluesky horizon colour: TBC
    Bluesky additive: TBC
    Redsky decay: TBC

Haze exp height: TBC
    Bluesky exp height: TBC
    Ceiling adjust: TBC
    Ceiling: TBC
    Floor: TBC

Haze glow amount: TBC
    Haze glow power: TBC
    Bluesky glow amount: TBC
    Bluesky glow power: TBC
    Enviro light: TBC
    Enviro light tint: TBC
    Anisotropic enviro light: TBC

Shadow function: TBC

Ambient: TBC
    Fake dark power: TBC
    Fake dark sharpness: TBC
    Bluesky density colour: TBC
    Redsky decay colour: TBC
    Improved glow model: TBC
    Reset tweaks: TBC

Number of samples: TBC
    Adjust to distance: TBC
    Sample jitter: TBC
    Receive shadows from surfaces: TBC

Attachment 142353

Attachment 142354

For example the parameter Ozone factor is not even mentioned as parameter in the documentation nor is any of the other parameters described. The learning material by GeekAtPlay are ok but I find them quite tiresome.

Overall I prefer working with Vue which improved the UI and stability quite alot in the last couple of releases. Nevertheless, Terragen can produce very nice images.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    I tried to install the old version in a different path but it finds that a newer version is already installed and I cannot proceed. Sorry, maybe someone else can test before/after the 4.2 upgrade.

If you render lots of landscapes, it might be worth to upgrade but in your situation (maintenance just expired) I would also hesitate because there are not many other improvements.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast