Thread: Process and command to Re-Image TriCaster/VS4000 to the current version

Process and command to Re-Image TriCaster/VS4000 to the current version

Can someone document the process and command to reimage the restore partition with the current version on a TC1 or other TriCaster?
    It's been a while since I've done this and I can't find my notes.
    I search the forums for reimage and didn't find anything.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

TriCaster: 460 AE
    TalkShow: VS4000
    Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText
    Cameras: 2-Sony PMW-X70, Sony PXW-Z150

I'll call support and get the process and commands and will post them here in case anyone is interested.

The next question would be: Does anyone update their restore partition to a later version so they don't have to reinstall a known solid update after the restore?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText

I usually make a backup every two weeks or so on an external drive. Even if I have to do a factory restore, I have my backup of my last good known working state and I restore that so I can get right back to work.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

TC Re-Image.pdf

Use with caution - I made a careless mistake on my machine, creating new restore image of faulty install and now NEVER being able to get back to proper configuration...

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I'll second that. While is seems to be a good idea to re-image the c drive with a later version I've always regretted not maintaining the factory restore and just keeping a external user backup instead. There always ends up being some reason on why the factory restore is the best clean fallback point to have.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    TC Re-Image.pdf

Use with caution - I made a careless mistake on my machine, creating new restore image of faulty install and now NEVER being able to get back to proper configuration...

Thanks
    Sr. Director, Marketing Services
    NewTek
    San Antonio, TX

It is not an accident that we do not publish this information.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Steve, please feel free to remove my post if it was out of bounds. I like to help, but maybe sometimes try too hard ;-)
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

It's ok, it's just a kind of a power user thing best used by the illuminati, if at all.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi Steve,

Just saw your update. The only reason I considered the reimage of the restore partition is that support recommended it a couple of times as a viable and supported way to avoid the hassle of a factory restore and then an update. I was able to run it without error on my VS4000, but received an error -47 at the end of the process on my XD460. Support and engineering didn't have an explanation or fix for the -47 error. So, as Jeff mentioned, it's bit me, as well, as I now have a 460 without a known good restore partition.

It might have come up because I couldn't get a good backup on my 460 to a 2TB Seagate USB drive for some unknown reason. I reformatted it on the 460 (I believe as NTFS) and the Linux backup system wouldn't recognize the drive. I've been able to do a backup of the 460 to a 3TB Seagate USB drive and a SCSI drive so I know that some drives work. I know it's not disk capacity, just something strange with that drive.

I'll purchase some new smaller drives so that I can have external backups of my XD460, VS4000 and TC1. Anyone have a recommendation on which drives to purchase?

Thanks all,
    Rob
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    TC Re-Image.pdf

Thanks
    Oh damn, the secrets out
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I had to do a system restore on my 460 yesterday after the latest AE3 update caused encoder 2 to stop working and massive audio dropouts from NDI sources. This is the first support had heard of these issues and thought that a factory restore would be a good place to start. The restore said it had successfully completed but will only partially start Windows. This is the restore referenced in this post after successfully updating the restore partition with a newer version. Seems that others have had success with this, but it's bricked my 460.

I tried to restore a USB drive backup I'd made from this 460 last year. It said that the partitions were different sizes. The backup looked like it had worked without errors when I created it.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to restore the SSD besides sending the unit back to NewTek? Booting in safe mode hangs after a certain point.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText

Quote Originally Posted by rlsafran View Post

I tried to restore a USB drive backup I'd made from this 460 last year. It said that the partitions were different sizes. The backup looked like it had worked without errors when I created it.
    Anyone have a solution for this? I made a backup using a USB drive and ran into a similar issue when I tried to use it to restore. Was trying to have a backup from a current release on external and keep the factory fresh on the system.

Screenshot of backup disk partition

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    Anyone have a solution for this? I made a backup using a USB drive and ran into a similar issue when I tried to use it to restore. Was trying to have a backup from a current release on external and keep the factory fresh on the system.
    I've uploaded a Zip file containing an rtf with screen shots of the disk partition and directory listing, and another of the restore.

Can someone who has successfully restored from a backup confirm the configuration of their backup disk?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rlsafran; 06-17-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText