Thread: When are the NewTek Codecs really needed?

When are the NewTek Codecs really needed?

We are having a strange issue as follows: We create XDCAM HD422 1080i60 CBR50 files in our Tricaster 410. We then copy these files to a shared drive on our network. We import these files--by creating a link--into our editing system, Lightworks, and attempt to edit them. The XDCAM HD422 1080i60 CBR50 files edit fine with Lightworks running on iMacs, but on the PCs running Lightworks, we get choppy audio while the video plays fine.

If the files are saved to an external harddrive, not our shared server drive, and linked from there, they play fine on PCs and iMacs.

I am looking for answers and I wonder if this issue is related in any way to the NewTek SpeedHQ codecs. I have the NewTek codecs loaded the PC, but I don't think that is even necessary. Am i correct?

Our TriCaster 410 creates files in this codec: XDCAM HD422 1080i60 CBR50.

Am I correct to say, this is not an AVI NewTek SpeedHQ format?

My questions is, are the NewTek codecs which seem to be designed for SpeedHQ only necessary in anyway if I am editing the XDCAM HD422 1080i60 CBR50 videos, created inside our Tricaster, on a stand alone editing workstation, not running NewTek software?

I am guessing the NewTek codecs are only necessary if one creates SpeedHQ files with NewTeks editing software and then plays or edits that codec on a different machine.

Am I right about this?

Could the NewTek codecs be interfering in the playback of the XDCAM HD422 1080i60 CBR50 files? Could there be some meta tag in the file claiming the XDCAM HD422 1080i60 CBR50 codec is proprietary to NewTek and therefore the SpeedHQ codec is invoked, but rather than helping it is hurting.

I am very perplexed.

How do I properly uninstall the NewTek SpeedHQ codecs?

The NewTek codec pack on Windows supports two things. SpeedHQ encoding and decode for both AVI and QuickTime files and decode only for XDCAM type files in QuickTime format. The XDCAM HD422 format is NOT SpeedHQ.

Many NLE application will examine the media file and often, if XDCAM is determined will use it own XDCAM decode capability, in this case the NewTek codec aren't being used. I can't see how the NewTek codec would be interfering with another codec. The system is going to choose a method of playback and use that method.

However, if the files are working correctly on attached hard drive, but not on the shared drive, it sounds like you might have some kind of conflict going on in the system. I'd try updating the drives for you audio card and/or network interface?

There are two ways to install the NewTek codecs. If you have the (older) stand along installer, just use Add/Remove Program to uninstall it. If this was installed using NDI Tools, you will need to uninstall NDI Tool, then you can install NDI Tools again, but uncheck the NewTek Codec option.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you Kane. You say that XDCAM HD422 is NOT SpeedHQ. Therefore can I conclude that the NewTek codecs are irrelevant for that file type. But you also note that NewTek codecs are used to decode XDCAM type files. I am confused. Can you restate for my weak mind?

Later today, ater I demonstrate the issue to IT I will uninstall the codecs to see what happens. Since I don't use any SpeedHQ files, I don't really need the Codecs. Is that correct.

Thanks for your help.

Correct, the codecs are different.

Windows doesn't have support to decode XDCAM by default, so the NewTek codec pack includes a XDCAM decoder AND a SpeedHQ encode/decode codec. Many NLE have native support for XDCAM type compression, so often the NewTek codec will not be used in this case.

On the Mac, Apple supplies a XDCAM decoder with the Pro Apps codecs. The NewTek codec pack on OSX, is just SpeedHQ.

You might find this link helpful as well.
    https://www.newtek.com/blog/tips/new...rding-formats/
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    The XDCAM HD422 format is NOT SpeedHQ.
    So why are my TC-1s and NC-1s outputting recordings with the SpeedHQ/SHQ0 codec if they're supposed to be XDCAM? And beyond that, if I've installed the latest NewTek Codec Pack, why can't I play these files in any player/NLE?

TIA
    Mark

What version software are you running? I've tested all of the recording form in TC1 and unless you are working in 4K/UHD mode QuickTime recording is in XDCAM format.
    https://www.newtek.com/blog/tips/new...rding-formats/
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.