Thread: Lack of DDR audio crossfade—is this normal?

Lack of DDR audio crossfade—is this normal?

Hi all,

Working with a freshly-installed TC1 build, and I have questions about audio crossfading: I have DDR clips that I mix together with camera inputs, and transitioning between the clip media and my camera feeds, I get nothing but hard, hard audio cuts. No smooth, crossfading audio, just hard, jarring cuts.

Honestly, it's less than desirable—I've tried using the T-bar to attempt a slow-fade audio transition, but as soon as the last frame hits I get an immediately, sudden DDR audio cutout. Startling. Is this normal behavior?

Would love some guidance regarding how to include crossfaded audio between my media and my live camera inputs.
    Last edited by NWATV; 07-05-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Perhaps a custom macro, using Automation to trigger it? Will do some testing here as time allows

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Jeff, thanks for the reply! I imagined some macros could handle it—wasn't sure if I was simply missing some settings or clip configurations. I suppose we'll give this both a shot and circle back later to compare notes.

TriCaster has never offered audio fades unfortunately. Guess it might be assumed that if you have a clip like a commercial that you pre-made, there will be no sound at very beginning or end and the cut will work.

You could make a Macro to create your own audio fade. Record a macro of changing volume slider for DDR, then Clone that macro command line a few times and change the value on each one, to gradually lower the volume over several steps/increments down to silence.

Since you have a TC1, as with AE you will have Automation available on each input that can be triggered via State Change, for instance "When DDR goes to PROG, run this macro" (to ramp up audio) and when source goes off PROG, run this other macro to ramp down audio. So with something like that, you ought to be able to get audio fades. Or else just make Macros that actually switch to/from the DDR and incorporate the audio fade macros as well, all in one.

Macros can be easily programmed to CS buttons if you have one, otherwise use keyboard shortcut or my personal favorite is XKeys devices. Just did 4th Parade on live TV with TC1 and we have 4 XKeys devices running at once!

Title/Graphics Control
    Home-made Control Surface
    Instant Replay Control (4 sources)
    Mini-switcher for the director to to basic camera switching

Honestly, there was not any room for the TC1 panel in the tiny trailer they stuck us in, so the small Xkeys units were perfect!

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Really appreciate the macro talk—thanks a million! Put some time into the issue and audio cut was caused by the DDR "autoplay" setting being toggled ON. That's what was forcing the audio cuts.

Thanks again, Jeff!

Just to piggy back off of Jeff.

Just be sure if you go the route of doing Macros you put some resets in there if needed. For example, if you fade audio all the way down you may need to add to the macro say 10 seconds later that brings that audio back to normal level. Otherwise you may get caught withthe audio at zero next time you use it.

I also use an X-Keys. My wipes and effects do have fades in them but I use my X-Keys to mute and unmute my broadcasters during breaks. In my case my spots are always ran off DDR 1 and replays off DDR 2 (or an external unit) so I have created a "Go to Break" Macros that control both the video side and the audio.

You can also make other uses like carting bumper music in and out of breaks.

I plan to take a full day this summer and redo my 2 X-Keys units and add in some more cool functions before football season. Newtek keeps adding new features!

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    Newtek keeps adding new features!
    Sorry about that.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    TriCaster has never offered audio fades unfortunately.
    Actually, my old Tricaster 300 fades audio beautifully when set to follow video. No idea why NewTek took this functionality out of later versions, AE, etc. One of the key features that has made the Tricaster so powerful from the beginning is its ability to autoplay clips on transition. That functionality is pointless, in my opinion, unless the audio fades in and out with that transition. If I'm cutting to/from DDR 1, an instant audio transition is expected. If I'm doing a 15-frame dissolve, I would expect a 15-frame crossfade if the fader is set to follow video-- wouldn't you??

Quote Originally Posted by 090 View Post
    No idea why NewTek took this functionality out of later versions...
    Although it's not always true, in the main subjective changes of this sort come about because of the preponderance of user requests. It's some time since I inquired about this, but my recollection is that there is, in fact, always a very short crossfade (probably mostly to avoid a 'pop'). I will say that we've had many different (and often completely incompatible) requests in this context over the years. I wouldn't argue that there couldn't ever be a better approach than the current one, but I can say with certainty that we didn't change it because we had spare time on our hands. Not everyone liked it the way it was.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")