Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney Moana - Complete scene for free download including cloud datasets

Disney Moana - Complete scene for free download including cloud datasets

https://www.disneyanimation.com/technology/datasets

The complete Moana island scene available for free download, including clouds, trees, rocks etc.

...22GB
    ...6GB

 

hmm...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Wowww...fantastic link, will have to have a look at the obj’s at the weekend....
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Yeah, I'm downloading it all now. Funny how serendipity works, we actually put on the film for the kids this morning. They've just finished watching it and are now on Hom (wonder if those assets will be available too? )

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Oliver got it into LightWave lol

holy macaroni!! really didn't think that would work.

a PC with tons of ram?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

That cloud set is really looking great and realistic, I am curious on how they actually made it, I can only think of two ways, either an extraordinary work on a fluid simulation..
    or it may actually be a real cloud scan somehow or a hybrid.

I am downloading the cloud set now and will have a go at it later, but I suspect my Ram wonīt be able to handle it. (there is to be a lower vdb data version provided as well)

Edit..I found some info on the creation of that cloud..based on a colorado photographers reference and his nice site, check here...

About the disney data assets and cloud..
    https://blog.yiningkarlli.com/

Itīs funny...not long ago, In a clouds thread here.. I actually posted a link to that colorado photographer(Kevin Udy) since I found his images to be of great reference,
    and what do you know..Disney actually used that as well..recognizing Kevins wonderful photographs of clouds.

The clouds thread on newtek forums...
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...6-clouds/page9

The colorado cloud site..
    with the actual reference photo from Kevin Udy, which was finally re-created as volumetric clouds by the Disney artists artists Henrik Falt and Alex Nijmeh.
    https://coclouds.com/436/cumulus/2012-07-26/

The other datasets of the island? well it is made in a toonished styled way, which isnīt that hard to make on your own in lightwave, maybe fun to check out though.

Some more siggraph papers on Paper- Spectral and Decomposition Tracking for Rendering Heterogeneous Volumes, perhaps something of use for the Lightwave team while further on developing the new volumetrics?

https://blog.yiningkarlli.com/2017/0...-tracking.html

Great thoughts Prometheus!

Would be interesting to see what you come up with these cloud datasets on LW!

Prom send sig-stuff to Antii @LW3DG you never know?

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Great thoughts Prometheus!

Would be interesting to see what you come up with these cloud datasets on LW!
    Give me a couple of hours today, I have a scene in 2018 with soft whispy clouds that I can not shut down, I need to record a little showcase of that first, before launching something new with that disney cloud dataset..running on discovery
    edition so I canīt save any scene..thus Having the soft cloud still open, but I will record that very soon now, and put on the tube.

Thereīs only so much you can do with this cloud dataset, and that is only pertaining, rotating, scaling, lighting and volumetric shading, no additional change can be made to the actual volume noise.
    Ill try and record that if the system isnīt getting to slow when working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    holy macaroni!! really didn't think that would work.

a PC with tons of ram?
    not really it's more a dev machine than render machine, he just worked out a decent pipeline, imported the instancing with his clone tools, tbh Oliver would be the man to ask... I just sat there with my jaw open

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Prom send sig-stuff to Antii @LW3DG you never know?
    Yes..I might consider sending some of my opinions on the new volumetrics and what I think they need to do to get the new system even more "state of the art" ..itīs honestly not there yet in my opinion.
    Two points that would be crucial is

1. infinite cloud layers.(like ogo taiki)
    2. a way to make the new global volumetric scattering physical correct with reference to a spectral model (not sure if this can be worked on with nodal setups?)
    In essential it needs to adapt similar atmospheric environment as old ogo taiki plugin, vue, and terragen.

After that is done, ( as for sky and cloudscapes.).Lightwave will actually be easier to set up clouds with than any of vue or terragen..in reference to have you can clone and move and navigate with cloud layers/ items.

That will alone yield results of quite realistic skyscapes, yet more might be needed for more complex control of light scattering in the clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    not really it's more a dev machine than render machine, he just worked out a decent pipeline, imported the instancing with his clone tools, tbh Oliver would be the man to ask... I just sat there with my jaw open
    IF there's a hangout today, I can show some of the details during that..
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

hereīs a simple loading of the half sized vdb set, just some basics with a few minor changes in emission color and scattering strenght, some additional boost of lighting strength and volumetric intensity,
    Three steps where cloud 1 is only the backdrop color, cloud 2 sunsky bacdrop, cloud 3 als has the sk suncolor applied in the lights color envelope.

I got a recording on something else soon for the smooth whispy clouds, have to check the recording and process it before uploading it though.

May be able to record this vdb disney set as well.

a suggestion would be to not check show opengl, It seems itīs so dense and the opengl preview will be sooo slow.

Havenīt tried the highest resolution, you got full resolution at 2.8 Gb, then half that ..which I used for these images, you got quarter that size, and you got eight of that size...so most folks should at least be able to get some version in there.
    Will take a look at more advanced light scattering with nodes later on I think,this is just basics...it misses advanced scattering to bring forth details in the same way the hyperion render does.

Rec709 colorspace, disabled profiles will bring on more depth to the clouds and the skies, so this images should be processed with corrections.

Cloud1...

Cloud2...

Cloud3...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloud1.jpg 
Views:	928 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	142110

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloud2.jpg 
Views:	990 
Size:	177.8 KB