Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disney Moana - Complete scene for free download including cloud datasets

And for reference...disabled colorspace presets.
    And cloud should actually also be moved to a proper cloud height, not like this from the origin point of the added null.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloud 4_disabled colorspace.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	142113

figure i'd take a stab at it real quick too..

Name:	disneycloud_vdb.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	412.9 KB 
ID:	142114

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    figure i'd take a stab at it real quick too..

Name:	disneycloud_vdb.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	412.9 KB 
ID:	142114
    Yes, you got a better look to the original than me, you also used the more correct rotation viewpoint I think..

and for adding detail, hereīs some additional scattering data..though it would be in need of more tweaks to get it more accurate, somewhere between the first images I posted and slightly to the additional scattering data.

Name:	cloud5.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	334.4 KB 
ID:	142115

Name:	cloud6.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	142116

based on an arnold render, the guy just used an env light and increased volume depth... so I am weary to add emission data

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    based on an arnold render, the guy just used an env light and increased volume depth... so I am weary to add emission data
    Yes..forgot about that, you could use that, when I previously did stuff that included additionally lights, I didnīt use environment lights, since I thought they were slower than actually just using a clone of the distant light, which I then change size angle on to get more of environment lights.

hereīs some final samples for tonight regarding tweaking scattering etc, to bad I canīt save it, have to open again and re-tweak, but that means I force myself to learn to remember it and tweak it right.

upper image, a bit too strong absorbtion scale, second image below..reduced that absorbtion strength, third image at the bottom, just cloned the distant light and changed angle size to get more softness and depth of shadows, hardly noticable but it is subtle and makes a difference.

from, what I can see on your image, compared to mine, you got deeper volume depth within the noise billows, but you miss a bit of rim edge shading, while mine got that..but maybe misses a bit more depth as in your image.
    Sometimes those rim edges (within the actual cloud volume) could be inverted and instead highligthed glowing almost, I have link somewhere to how that is reseached on some white paper.

Name:	cloud_nine.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	405.1 KB 
ID:	142123

and for the correct matching and challenge, the images we posted doesnīt come close really to the hyperion rendering...

we are currently in a hangout.. just chatting about... but i'll probably show the moana island stuff and how i am getting it into lw shortly for anyone interested.

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts...npmz2f4e3frxie

I would like to thank you oliver for hinting on only using environment light or another distant light with large size angle, sometimes you may want that scattering channel, but if I would try and copy the hyperion look, then I am not expert yet on the scattering settings ..and as such my samples was giving too much detail and sharpness in the scattering of the clouds, turning it off completely and just use two lights will give a smoother look similar to that of the hyperion image.

doing some tweaks now...so long it doesnīt crashes on me, then I might post more tomorrow.

a little better but still too much detail and it would need softer shadows and scattering still, as well as a darkness in the bottom of the cloud..

Name:	Cloud10.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	142124

I need to stop now..the thread almost becomes spammed now, some of the last tweaks today, might try some more improvements tomorrow, or shut it down and not touch it for months again, or til a new lightwave releases shows up with improvements on the volumetrics

Would need to raise the level of quality when it comes to softness, as well as color and how light penetrates lesser at the bottom of the cloud, you really need to be careful with scattering scale, too much and you get too much detail..and also the balance of the scattering color affects that as well.
    The right images is of course the disney hyperion rendering system.

Name:	cloud compare.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	315.5 KB 
ID:	142125

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    holy macaroni!! really didn't think that would work.

a PC with tons of ram?
    No, I think it's his new tool that writes instances down in a file, which allows to have millions of instances not being reevaluated per frame. But it's only a guess.

https://vimeo.com/277690284

Tell me again why I'm downloading a 2 GB file of a frickin cloud? I guess I'll use it some time for something (probably not though).

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    Tell me again why I'm downloading a 2 GB file of a frickin cloud? I guess I'll use it some time for something (probably not though).
    Because one might want to learn and analyze
    1) How the high end cg guys do their stuff
    2) How you can texture, tweak, light abd render these datasets in your application
    3) Which applications you have are best suited for this kind of scenes

A 2GB cloud... wasn't the whole point of cloud to be super light?

Badum tish.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    A 2GB cloud... wasn't the whole point of cloud to be super light?

Badum tish.

Disney got a GPU Stack bigger than a Small Country!!!

It's all in-house thinking the size of those files..

But Oliver is 'Stalking' the island file on facebook LW

let u know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Disney got a GPU Stack bigger than a Small Country!!!

It's all in-house thinking the size of those files..

But Oliver is 'Stalking' the island file on facebook LW

let u know what happens.
    Regarding the Disney ISLAND dataset:

I took it as a technical challenge. Obviously, inhouse at disney, those files are completely different, but they made the "probably huge" effort, to bake things down in a way, so that other people can take a look at what those datasets are.

For me personally, I see it as a great challenge to see "hey, if i wanted to get this into lw.. could I... and, what, if any, snags do i find that can or cannot be solved. Also, could this experience reveal something, that I could pass on to the devs in terms of actually handling such datasets. Most of the time, in my work, I have huge datasets as well, but am unable to pass those on due to NDA's and the like. With this Disney Dataset, you dont have to worry about NDA's. A lot of times, you need datasets like these, to find inefficiencies.

I'll give you an example. Try in 2015, to create 10.000 nulls....and then, move around in item sets, or select different items... You'll notice, that its fairly slow. Now.. try the same in 2018, and you'll find that its blazingly fast. Those are just some of the optimizations made in 2018, based on what I call "analyzing large scene scenarios" and those fixes are a direct result of scenes like this.

I also love automating and improving tools (which really, is why ODTools exist) and I have for a long time told people that the "file Instances" idea that I had added to ODTools 4 years ago is supercool, but, it is sometimes hard to show people. This Disney Set, was perfect for me to show it. There just isnt another way to do this easily, which, is probably why you won't see a lot of people on facebook showing what I did.

I'll make a video today showing a bit more of it. Hope what I wrote made sense.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast