Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LightWave 2018.0.5 is Available Now for Download

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Goreta View Post
    How do I even report this bug if I can't reproduce it , but it happens a lot ?
    Having the exact same problem with Modeler crashing in the bg while using Layout on Mac. Haven’t tried 2018.0.5 yet but can’t see any mention in the bug fix list.

The trick is to start eliminating non-lightwave causes, at least with the app switching lag.
    -Find out what system services are taking too big a time slice by running a latency monitor. Update the offender to the most current version.
    (Windows 10 WHQL NIC drivers are known to be problematic in some cases. Updating them with your NIC Manufacturer's latest drivers usually resolves the problem).

-What antivirus package are you using? Some packages are known to cause frustrating issues with Lightwave. (AVG, in my case, dropped it for Avast)

-Does the problem happen when you use the -0 command line option to use the IPC method of sharing data between Layout and Modeler, instead of the Hub?

-Try running Lightwave without any 3rd party plugins, and adding them back in, one at a time.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

But what about the PC, modeler is crashing as soon as I touch something on the numpad.
    No problems here at all. Win7 x64.
    System info: CPU: Xeon X5680 RAM: 12GB DDR3/1333MHz MB: Asus P6T WS Pro GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win7, LW2018.0.7 x64

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kolby View Post
    No problems here at all. Win7 x64.
    Same here ! Perfect !

Same here, no issues with 2018.0.5 on Win10 with application switching or numeric inputs.

About that 10 second app switch bug ...
    Like Kryslin suggested:
    http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

It can be used to get at least a hint about what's going on. Normally all bars should be green. if something becomes red it is worth to further investigate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	latency.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	1,006.6 KB 
ID:	142075

Kryslin mentioned the ndis.sys already (the internet is full of reports about it in Windows 10).
    On my machine it became red after some time (second to minutes of PC use). Downloading an intel NIC driver solved it. But in my case it was obvious that the MS ndis.sys caused the latency problem. I had a stutter when switching Modeler and Layout but not nearly in the 10 second range - and I am not sure if ndis.sys caused it. But it definately caused dropouts in realtime audio.
    It could also be something totally different. Maybe your virus scanner has a "heuristic" function that tries to indentify malicious activity and needs to much time for that.

But it is all an uneducated guess.

There is also the Microsoft Performance Toolkit.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ware/test/wpt/
    That one can go into the darkest edges of your system and shine bright light on what's going on there.

On my machine (win 10 pro 1709) there is no lag when switching from LW to other apps or between Modeler and Layout (exept from switching e.g. sub-d in Modeler on a few hundredthousend poly model - in that case it takes a few seconds before Layout updates). That's valid for 2015 to 2018.0.5
    Last edited by madno; 07-04-2018 at 11:31 AM.

also.. try without hub..so you can narrow down causes..
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

hes on the Mac not Windows and I can confirm it is a Mac issue, can be no activity going on whatsoever other than being in Layout with Modeller open in the background and boom up pops the 'Modeller has quit' warning, this has been consistent on the Mac in most versions of 2018x

On the PC too Modeler often just disappears, without even Modeler has crashed dialog popping up.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the state of the BandSAW command:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSbe...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by oliverhotz View Post
    also.. try without hub..so you can narrow down causes..
    I've stated already that whem the 10 second bugs happens I need to kill the Modeler and then Layout doesn't have this delay anymore ( between Layout and apps other then Modeler )

My mistake, then. However, the general gist of the process remains the same; start removing external causes. See if the Mac has similar troubleshooting tools, like a latency monitor or like the windows performance tools.

This lets you give the devs as much information as possible; what it's not is almost as good as ID'ing the problem.

WRT the "disappearing, idling modeler" issue, I've noticed it, maybe 6 times in the last 2 years, under various versions of Windows 10. So that makes it an older issue. What's causing it? Haven't a clue...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

debugging identification process

The 'debugging identification process' would be a good sticky topic.... if we didn't have so many already.

PERHAPS some of the stickies could be consolidated??
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 07-05-2018 at 04:04 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I have recorded the 10 second wait bug if someone wants to look at it. Basically you get out of it by killing one of the apps, either Modeler or Layout which leads me to believe it has something to do with the communication between the two. This was on the fresh install of 2018.5 with only Octane and LWCad installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aPI...ature=youtu.be

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this ?
    I tried with the latencymon but it doesn't report any problems when this happens.
    Last edited by Boris Goreta; 07-05-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Have you tried this with the -0 (use IPC for communication), and with -i (Isolate mode, no hub, no IPC) command line options?

Also, what is running in the background(antivirus, firewall, etc.)?
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    'debugging identification process'
    Not sure if you know, but when you use yellow text in your posts, they're unreadable on a white forum theme.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123