Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Nvidia Titan has 32 GB of VRAM.

Ah I see, I thought they where rendering with CPU and Octane.....
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

maybe in the future
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

afaik they are kinda working on it

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    rough estimation >

GPU is about twice as fast.
    In my experience with Cycles, iRay, TFD, ProRender and other GPU accelerated 3d applications, GPU is about 7 to 12 times as fast as an i7 CPU. Some stuff (like cloud particle rendering in Cycles) was not usable on CPU but worked well on GPU. But large scenes are better handled in CPU rendering due to memory consumption.

One thing to consider is that GPUs are not as durable as CPUs with constant 100% load.

I haven't tried Octane yet but of course it depends on the GPU / CPU models. I would compare a 7th or 8th gen 6 core i7 with a GF1080ti to start with. GPU should be significantly faster.

On the AMD side I have no experience with the current line of CPUs but some experiences of early adopters I know were not convincing regarding stability.

Octane 4 is certainly interesting but I would prefer Redshift as a GPU renderer currently. On the other hand, the full Octane 4 license would provide support for several of my 3d apps the same time.
    Last edited by Marander; 06-23-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    rough estimation >

GPU is about twice as fast.
    GPU use about twice the energy
    GPU, you can have 2-3 cards in one PC
    GPU, easy to replace and sell

regarding Octane, i think the additional render licenses are *expensive ($400) ...at the moment ...*relative

5 additional cards, it will cost you $2000 in licenses

also the Octane ai denoiser is nice, but not that much nicer than a temporal video denoiser,
    you will get that "interpolated animation look" with splotches, though quite minimal.
    the result is quite alright, but a little less magic perhaps than some say

for movies / cartoons, CPU still is valueable.

if you have the cash, Octane, or a free GPU render engine, it is certainly worth it.

for very realistic animations, i'd say go for a GPU engine.
    for interior > Kray.

Redshift is at least 10 times faster than the average cpu renderer and maybe 5 times faster than vray.

In Octane on two gpus, rendering 25mil poly object - heavy assembly from solidworks, textured - glossy reflections etc. Takes 12second per frame at FHD no difference with DOF or MB, you would be mad these days to look again at CPU rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    In Octane on two gpus, rendering 25mil poly object - heavy assembly from solidworks, textured - glossy reflections etc. Takes 12second per frame at FHD no difference with DOF or MB, you would be mad these days to look again at CPU rendering.
    exactly

That being said, a recent TFD video I watched from L3D had to use the CPU for rendering because the GPU couldn't handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    That being said, a recent TFD video I watched from L3D had to use the CPU for rendering because the GPU couldn't handle it.
    TFD doesn't have out of core tech right afaik.
    And anyway the new renderers are going for hybrid renderers. The speed boost from gpu is huge with Cycles.

As always depends what you do...if it's architectural visualisations then CPU/Vray is still unbeatable combo.

For a freelancer the cost of running a decent GPU rig is quite high...however the crypto market is somehow slowing down and facing a crash so hopefully the prices will cone down soon.

I need to replace my old rig(almost 8yrs old) and will look into this by the end of the year.

As always depends what you do...if it's architectural visualisations then CPU/Vray is still unbeatable combo.

For a freelancer the cost of running a decent GPU rig is quite high...however the crypto market is somehow slowing down and facing a crash so hopefully the prices will cone down soon.

I need to replace my old rig(almost 8yrs old) and will look into this by the end of the year.
    and the fact you cant even buy certain models as they have been out of stock and on pre order for months, water cooled 1070 ti is like gold dust at the moment, which is a pain as they are the most cost effective, scan have 1070ti hybrid for £500, but only on preorder with no expected date, rest of the TIs are slowly vanishing too, 1080s are nearly 2 to 3 times the price but not actually much better in benchmarks, some people saying around 5 to 10%
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

True, the difference I seen between 1070 or 1080 performance wise is not worth that extra £££.

Presumably this is due to mining......again?
    I had the same problem last year trying to get my RX580 Pulse.

Yes the mining industry really Fcked GCard market, so really hoping this whole bubble will burst as soon as possible.

Marander
    In my experience with Cycles, iRay, TFD, ProRender and other GPU accelerated 3d applications, GPU is about 7 to 12 times as fast as an i7 CPU.
    reading some more tests, the number gets to be around 4-5 times faster...
    that's quite good.

quite difficult to estimate based on what i've seen and what others on the web say.
    Last edited by erikals; 06-24-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast