Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Best way to Import Particles from another application

  1. #1

    Best way to Import Particles from another application

    Hi guys,

    I like to import particles from another application and apply some additional work in Lightwave. I've been out of the loop for a while and not sure which file format works best? Does lightwave alembic support particles? There's also FBX, Collada, or mdds? maybe I should export the particles with small sphere geometries? Not sure how to best go about this. Any insight would be appreciated. thanks.

  2. #2
    Registered User Oldcode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    470
    Crook over at Foundation 3D says he'w working on a method to get Blender Particles into Lightwave. The results look good so far.

    http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/

  3. #3
    That looks awesome for Blender, but I'm actually trying to find a solution to get Modo particles into LW.

  4. #4
    Dreamer Ztreem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,194
    I know I found a youtube video a while back about transfer particles from blender to modo using mdd. That workflow should work from modo to LW as well. Search on youtube...

  5. #5
    Ok, MDD didn't work. Actually, the only way to get particles out of Modo is to use Alembic support of Particles. I have to see if LW 2018 support importing that.

  6. #6

    it would be great, since that also would support Houdini particles
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  7. #7
    TrueArt Support
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    8,079
    I made TrueArt's Node Library http://nodelibrary.trueart.eu
    CSV Reader node,
    which can read any .csv file..

    So if you will generate such file from 3rd party app (make custom script), you can get it in LW using this node..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjD5_dusXSg


  8. #8
    Oliver Hotz has a pfx to alembic converter. I'm not sure if he ever released it as part of his OD tools but you can drop him a line to see if he would be interested in distributing it. With it I'm able to export my particles from Modo into any app that imports Alembic.

  9. #9
    Registered User Diepgroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Oliver Hotz has a pfx to alembic converter. I'm not sure if he ever released it as part of his OD tools but you can drop him a line to see if he would be interested in distributing it. With it I'm able to export my particles from Modo into any app that imports Alembic.
    Great converter, especially if you are doing Houdini work and back to LightWave. It's a bonus download among others when you get ODTools set, Windows Only.

  10. #10

    sounds good, heard the converter had a particle limitation? anyone knows if it got fixed?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  11. #11
    Registered User Diepgroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    50

    pfx limits

    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    sounds good, heard the converter had a particle limitation? anyone knows if it got fixed?
    64bit has none, pfx could have

    Oliver Hotz:
    not the 64 bit version
    i THINK pfx has a limit though.. but i dont remember
    however.. transferring a couple million particles.. you'd be VERY VERY sorry in lw

  12. #12

    thanks! saved info!
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  13. #13
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Diepgroen View Post
    Great converter, especially if you are doing Houdini work and back to LightWave. It's a bonus download among others when you get ODTools set, Windows Only.
    Why is it Windows-only? What dependency drives that limitation?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

  14. #14
    availability of compiled alembic modules for osX.. and to be honest.. because it is a NIGHTMARE to do this stuff on the mac.. thats why.
    Oliver

    OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    Crook over at Foundation 3D says he'w working on a method to get Blender Particles into Lightwave. The results look good so far.

    http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/
    I've been using VDB for blender smoke. If you can export in VDB format it may work for you. In LW2018 there's an openvdb node you can use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •