Thread: HLS Ingest vs RTMP Push

HLS Ingest vs RTMP Push

I am new to the NewTek technology but versed in streaming with Wowza, Wirecast, FMLE, Telos and CNDs like Akamai & AWS.

Is it possibly to setup an HLS ingest from any of the TriCaster products? Would like to get away from pushing RTMP out and using HLS as the primary delivery mechanism.

I searched the forums and online but didn't really see the TriCaster products getting any mentions.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts, roadmap, documentation, best practices, etc.

Just want to make sure I'm understanding what you are asking. HLS out of TriCaster versus RTMP? Or are you asking if it is possible to ingest an HLS stream as an input into a TriCaster?

I'm assuming the first one. TriCaster supports RTMP for streaming for any CDN and for major CDN's (YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, Vimeo, etc) the API of these services is supported. Typically, it is up to the streaming CDN to wrap the incoming signal into the correct delivery format for the device in question (Apple HLS, MPEG-DASH, Flash, etc).

Beyond that, you could use the NDI output to feed into another NDI application to create other formats as well. For example, in the latest NDI SDK, FFMPEG in included which can ingest an NDI feed and create other output formats from it (like HLS).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Kane, it's the first, outputting HLS from the TC1 to a content delivery network, specifically Akamai. Akamai has asked me to all of my live media streams from an RTMP ingest to an HLS ingest.

Do you have any documentation or examples on the NDI SDK? Or perhaps a customer that may be doing this today?