Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Set Content Directory

Set Content Directory

I model something in Modeler 2018.0.4 and save it to directory xdir, "Close All", "Load", and then "Set Content Directory" choosing an existing directory -- ydir. Then try to load an object, but the initial directory (xdir) is displayed instead of the content directory. Is there a logical reason it should work this way?
    16aug19: Lightwave 2019.1 Build 3127, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v431.60 (24jul19)

Seems so, this happens when modeler is closed between the actions:

E.g.:

- Open modeler
    - make a box
    - save box to a "non content" directory somewhere
    - close modeler

- open modeler again
    - Load -> set content directory
    - Load Object

= LW is not using the content directory but the "last save" directory

- Now save object and browse to the content\objects directory by hand
    - Save object
    - don't close modeler
    - clear object
    - Load -> set content directory (another one than before)
    - Save Object

= LW will now use whatever content dir you chose

Seems to me, when you save / load from a "non content dir" and close modeler, it will update its' config files with the last save dir. And this then has higher priority than the content dir selection.

Is this logical? I personally don't think so. If I chose a content dir, LW should use it (that's the reason why I select it). But there might be people who prefer it the way it is.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Yep. I've been complaining about this for DECADES.

Not only that, but some plugins that load files will also cause various bits of LW/LWM to look in unusual/incorrect areas. It is WEAK.

But since software magically descends from the clouds, obviously no one is responsible and all are equally competent.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

As I get older, I find I have less tolerance for these small inefficiencies. I also use Terragen a lot. A couple of days ago I asked the question "why, when I start the add object process and the file selection dialog comes up with two buttons (Open and Cancel), if I select 'cancel', a warning message shows up stating 'no object specified ....' and a blank object reader is added to the node network?" Doesn't "cancel" mean cancel? The answer was "that's the way it's always worked ......"

Lightwave seems to have a lot of these mature "head slappers". I do a lot of "load object into layer" and "save layers as object" and get a lot of crashes. Been that way for me since version 9 and probably back much further than that.

Experienced user's simply learn to avoid/work around these things and new user's are perplexed. Old user's get frustrated. And developers .......
    16aug19: Lightwave 2019.1 Build 3127, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v431.60 (24jul19)

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    Experienced user's simply learn to avoid/work around these things and new user's are perplexed. Old user's get frustrated. And developers .......
    ....implement FAR more complicated things (::cough:: PBR renderer ::cough:: ) while IGNORING these boring little housekeeping bugs that stick a little needle into users every damn day.

I call them speedbumps, but really it's like owning a cat that claws your leg just when you're starting to get productive.

Why is that? Are they just not sexy enough programming to be fixed???

"boring little housekeeping bugs" are probably more shrugged off by users and not officially reported.

Only observing from the outside, the bug reporting system does not appear well suited for duplicate reports. If something has already been reported, the more recent report is just closed, instead of being marked as a duplicate. I suspect this makes issue priority a challenge.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    "boring little housekeeping bugs" are probably more shrugged off by users and not officially reported.

Only observing from the outside, the bug reporting system does not appear well suited for duplicate reports. If something has already been reported, the more recent report is just closed, instead of being marked as a duplicate. I suspect this makes issue priority a challenge.
    You're probably right. When I had a real job (software engineer on government contracts) it was nearly impossible to have bugs/bad design slip through the cracks -- too many people reviewing/documenting/status reviews, etc.

I really like LW -- it does what I want and seems there's usually a plugin (or work around) if LW can't do it efficiently. I just don't understand Newtek seemingly ignoring things that a new user gets told "oh, it's been that way for a long time ... here's a workaround ... Does NT marketing really not think they should do whatever needs to be done to fix these types of problems.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Thumbs down housekeeping is the foundation of software

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    As you might imagine, NOT BY ME. I whine about them at the top of my lungs.

Because it's FREEKIN' RIDICULOUS that they can write a g.d. PBR renderer, but they can't make CONTENT DIRECTORY or RECENT FILES work right.

And something tells me that files are loaded and saved a lot more often then huge volumetric clouds are rendered. That shiz should be bullet-proof and no-brainer, not Yet Another G.D. Lightwave Speedbump, that we have to shame-facedly explain away to our peers.

++++

I don't really know about duplicate bug reports, and how they are handled-- I certainly hope that the BEST description/characterization of a bug/misfeature is retained, rather than just the first or last (not all bug reports are created equal): >>IF I WERE DESIGNING IT<<, the bug reporting system would give "weights" to bug reports, both by number of reports and a reputation value of the reporter. EG, Ryan Roye and Monroe Poteet would have the highest reputations, and bug reports from them would have more weight than from, say, moi.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 06-08-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    ...we have to shame-facedly explain away to our peers...
    Cast off the shame. Just proudly tell peers that LW invites you to fully explore the filesystem and doesn't limit your view to a particular directory.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    That's a very nice way to say "is befuddled by the slightest deviation from corporate defined workflow", but sure, gild that jalopy.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 06-08-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Here's another puzzling thing (at least too me) with file loading. In the image, the top part shows the LW objects in a folder. The bottom part is what LW shows for recent files. The most recent is "CASE780C.lwo and the second most recent is CASE780C_v007.lwo. I wanted to use load|recent v007, but it's not shown in the dialog (neither is v006). Why is that?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FileLoad.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	558.0 KB 
ID:	141980

I can 100% repro the problem with LW2018.4, incremental saver doesn't properly update the "Recent Files" entries. Can't repro the problem here with LW2015.3, "Save Incremental" updates "Recent Files" in LW2015.3, so it's a new bug (in the apparently-new "Incremental Saver" in LW2018).

I recommend you file a bug report on it.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I reported this years ago.

That it hasn't been fixed is VERY weak. How difficult could it be????

Think of all the users that loaded NOT the latest versions because of this.

This totally reminds me of my fulltime workplace.

Quote from a long time employee: “Wow, ******** systems are not user friendly”

Response: “really, duh.......how long have you worked here”
    Don't be a dink get some ink

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I reported this years ago.

That it hasn't been fixed is VERY weak. How difficult could it be????
    Well, it apparently WAS fixed, in that it's working properly in 2015.3. It is broken (again?) in 2018.4, though.

Do you recall a prior version where it was broken?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast