Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Set Content Directory

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I've NEVER known a version where it worked correctly.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Well, it apparently WAS fixed, in that it's working properly in 2015.3. It is broken (again?) in 2018.4, though.

Do you recall a prior version where it was broken?

A bug report in concise cool reportage to Mr. Deuce Bennett should get things moving?

I sent a report a few days ago.
    It got assigned to a developer, according to a reply email :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I've NEVER known a version where it worked correctly.
    To be clear, we're talking about the "incremental saver doesn't update 'Recent Files'" problem now (per post #11 in thread), not the "LW requesters not in Content Dir" issue. Is that what you were referring to as well (incremental save vs recent files)?

I just re-checked and LW2015.3 Mac64 definitely does update the "Recent Files" list with latest incremental save after "Save Incremental" as expected.
    Last edited by jwiede; 06-20-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Yeah, I didn't see the need to start a new thread on what (to me) seems like pretty basic file handling/workflow stuff.
    16aug19: Lightwave 2019.1 Build 3127, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v436.30 (19sep19)

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    To be clear, we're talking about the "incremental saver doesn't update 'Recent Files'" problem now (per post #11 in thread), not the "LW requesters not in Content Dir" issue. Is that what you were referring to as well (incremental save vs recent files)?

I just re-checked and LW2015.3 Mac64 definitely does update the "Recent Files" list with latest incremental save after "Save Incremental" as expected.
    Just to make sure, because "aging", I fired up LWM 2015.3, and it's still there, see jpg, and I'm pretty certain I've been b!tching about this for several years. (W10/LWM2015.3)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	increment.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	142002

Just to make certain, I closed and relaunched LWM to make sure it wasn't some stupid "No, you're supposed to stay with the base name, increments are for archive purposes" balderdash*.

Seriously, this is DEAD SIMPLE STUFF. Why won't they fix it? And if it's working "how it's supposed to work!!1!!", they are wrong wrong wrong in the design.

*paraphrase.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 06-21-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Just to make sure, because "aging", I fired up LWM 2015.3, and it's still there, see jpg, and I'm pretty certain I've been b!tching about this for several years. (W10/LWM2015.3)

Name:	increment.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	142002

Just to make certain, I closed and relaunched LWM to make sure it wasn't some stupid "No, you're supposed to stay with the base name, increments are for archive purposes" balderdash*.
    Very interesting, are you on Windows? Also, does it work if you're saving base & incrementals within the {Content Directory}(/Objects)?

I'll test further when I get a chance. Here, just reconfirmed (again), on Mac LW2015.3, saving (base &) incrementals to {CD}/Objects using "Save Incremental" they were being entered into "Recent Files" list as expected.
    Last edited by jwiede; 06-21-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    John W.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Thumbs down

W10, as noted. I did simply save in whatever directory LWM threw up, didn't set one, because of course it should DEFAULT to the content directory.

Can you post a screenie if the RECENT FILES menu offerings when you do this? There should be several increments of any mesh one has saved incrementally. I'd just like to see it once before I die.

Name:	increment2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	142003

3D Coat and Terragen both work the way I believe LW should. Save incrementally and exiting should put that last save on the top of the recent file list. Why would one want to see a partial list of recent files?
    16aug19: Lightwave 2019.1 Build 3127, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v436.30 (19sep19)

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    3D Coat and Terragen both work the way I believe LW should. Save incrementally and exiting should put that last save on the top of the recent file list. Why would one want to see a partial list of recent files?
    I believe I had (at some point) s/w that would show the last 3 (or so) incremented versions of any given file, and then the rest of the RECENT FILES list were other files, sometimes w/multiple versions. FWIW.

OTOH, I don't want software to wait until I exit to put a saved file at the top of the list: I want it there immediately.

I'd also like "SAVE AS COPY" in LWM -- seriously, how hard can that be?? They already DID IT in Layout. C'MONNNNNN.

("Save As Copy" saves a file without changing the default name that autosaves.)

Eric, I probably worded my response badly. I did mean any save increment should go to the top of the list -- just put "exiting" there thinking of my workflow as "done for the day, I'll pick up where I left off ...."

This problem got my attention when I was working a few different models and when I did a load recent file I started seeing things I thought I had already changed. Well, I did make the changes -- I just loaded the wrong file (because LW said it was the most recent.)

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Eric, I probably worded my response badly. I did mean any save increment should go to the top of the list -- just put "exiting" there thinking of my workflow as "done for the day, I'll pick up where I left off ...."
    No worries: it's tough to be REAL precise in this medium, and after all they're not paying us to design their software.
    This problem got my attention when I was working a few different models and when I did a load recent file I started seeing things I thought I had already changed. Well, I did make the changes -- I just loaded the wrong file (because LW said it was the most recent.)
    EXACTLY the danger with the poor implementation that we currently have. I can't BELIEVE anybody meant for it to work this way, it's total rubbish. We'd be better off without it, because it makes it SEEM like we're working on the latest.

As above shown, I reported this in 2014. It's still on their books as OPEN.

Can you post a screenie if the RECENT FILES menu offerings when you do this? There should be several increments of any mesh one has saved incrementally. I'd just like to see it once before I die.

Name:	increment2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	142003
    Sure...

IncrRecentFiles.mov
    John W.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    ...soooooooo envious....

Looks like it works on the mac. :'(

...soooooooo envious....

Looks like it works on the mac. :'(
    Well, it did work, anyway, as LW2018 appears broken again.
    John W.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast