Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why would not Newtek cooperate with developers of third-party renderers?

Why would not Newtek cooperate with developers of third-party renderers?

The main problem of LW, in my subjective opinion, today is not even the lack of any new tools or OGL performance level when working with deformers, but in rendering. Actually, this is an old LW problem, which, unfortunately, did not go away with the release of the 2018 version.
    Today there are quite a number of developers of third-party renderers, both commercial and open source (appleseed for example). Some developers of 3D programs actively cooperate with these developers. Blender already got a free addition in the form of Octane, as an additional renderer (albeit with limitations in the form of the number of video cards connected to the render).
    It seems reasonable if Newtek initiated co-operation with any third-party renderer manufacturer, which would raise the marketing estimate of LW in the eyes of many users. In fact, up to now, we have only two suppliers of stronneders - Octane and Kray (which was originally created under LV and very little known on the market). At the same time all "peers" of LW have long acquired a whole set of third-party renderers.
    I believe that one day the native render of LW will be brought to a high-performance level, etc. But for the time being it is not known when this will happen - many today find themselves in greater limitations compared to users of other 3D programs. Especially those that are freely distributed.

LIST OF THE BEST 3D RENDER ENGINES COMPATIBLE WITH BLENDER

Vray
    Appleseed (free).
    Octane (now is free for two GPU limit).
    RadeonProRender
    Lux Render
    Renderman
    Indigo
    Nox
    Vray
    Maxwell Render
    Corona
    Thea Render
    Yafaray
    Mitsuba
    POV Ray
    RedShift
    Keyshot

Newtek have stated before they are happy to work with 3rd parties, I just don't think its worth it for the 3rd parties. Eg, Vray, Redshift.

Its funny Redshift are looking for Blender Devs to work on a pluging for Redshift and Blender but nothing for Lightwave.

Well, appleseed, radeonprorender and luxrender (which development as started again for v2.0, I believe) are free but need a programmer to write the plug-in from Newtek’s side, since they won’t develop it themselves. Appleseed is CPU, and the two other ones are GPU, based on OpenCL, which would be a good thing for people with AMD GPUs. Writing a plug-in for radeonprorender or luxrender would certainly be a good thing to offer some more choice for LW users, but I don’t know if NT has the worfkforce nor the will for that.

An an enterprise, if I have to choose, I would go for Radeon prorender, to have cpu or gpu, but this needs workforce.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureña
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

As a mac user, I would like radeon prorender too, as it is not only amd enabled but also compatible with Apple’s Metal API.

As a side note, Nox, Corona, Thea and Mitsuba seems discontinued. Yafaray is evolving, but at slow pace. Edit: Yes, to me Thea for Blender is discontinued, until they show what they will do with new version.

And Luxrender is now Luxcorender.

Regards.
    Last edited by Asticles; 05-28-2018 at 02:44 AM.

Salvador Ureña

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    The main problem of LW, in my subjective opinion, today is not even the lack of any new tools or OGL performance level when working with deformers, but in rendering. Actually, this is an old LW problem, which, unfortunately, did not go away with the release of the 2018 version.
    Today there are quite a number of developers of third-party renderers, both commercial and open source (appleseed for example). Some developers of 3D programs actively cooperate with these developers. Blender already got a free addition in the form of Octane, as an additional renderer (albeit with limitations in the form of the number of video cards connected to the render).
    It seems reasonable if Newtek initiated co-operation with any third-party renderer manufacturer, which would raise the marketing estimate of LW in the eyes of many users. In fact, up to now, we have only two suppliers of stronneders - Octane and Kray (which was originally created under LV and very little known on the market). At the same time all "peers" of LW have long acquired a whole set of third-party renderers.
    I believe that one day the native render of LW will be brought to a high-performance level, etc. But for the time being it is not known when this will happen - many today find themselves in greater limitations compared to users of other 3D programs. Especially those that are freely distributed.

LIST OF THE BEST 3D RENDER ENGINES COMPATIBLE WITH BLENDER

Vray
    Appleseed (free).
    Octane (now is free for two GPU limit).
    RadeonProRender
    Lux Render
    Renderman
    Indigo
    Nox
    Vray
    Maxwell Render
    Corona
    Thea Render
    Yafaray
    Mitsuba
    POV Ray
    RedShift
    Keyshot
    Thank you!
    Personally what I would need to keep working in Lightwave is an ArchViz renderer (Vray, Corona).
    Unfortunately Kray is an old, buggy (in animation) with horible anti aliasing.
    I am shifting to 3ds/Vray but it is a slow process because I have more projects that I can handle.
    My personal opinion is that LW should do whatever is necessary to attract Vray.

Kray seems as good as vray in speed, but development is very slow.

Salvador Ureña

Octane is your cure ... best investment that you can ever do for LW..

It's more a question of whether it's worth it to the 3Rd party renderers to work with NT. No one is going to put in a lot of time porting to lw if only a few hundred people might buy the renderer.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    It's more a question of whether it's worth it to the 3Rd party renderers to work with NT. No one is going to put in a lot of time porting to lw if only a few hundred people might buy the renderer.
    Yeah agree. And additionally to the small LW user group, they are typically not the 3d users that like to spend alot of money.

I think we are presupposing things we do not know.

Salvador Ureña

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    I think we are presupposing things we do not know.
    Ask Oliver or another third party dev for LW. They'll tell you the same thing.

Same for Blender (though they have a large number of users). The app being free attracts a lot of people who simply don't want to spend a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Ask Oliver or another third party dev for LW. They'll tell you the same thing.

Same for Blender (though they have a large number of users). The app being free attracts a lot of people who simply don't want to spend a lot of money.
    I think you’re right to some degree. I also think that many plugins for LW is things that you should not need to buy as plugins. I mean a LW upgrade costs 295 and to get a weight paint in layout you need to buy a plugin for 129. It just feels wrong to me, weight paint should be a native tool included in the base app. So most popular plugins for LW is for tools that are native in other softwares. Some people may not care and can buy everything whatever the cost, good for them. I compare prices like I do whatever I buy, if its toys for the kuds or food, I always compare prices. So if another app gives me the same functionality with similar workflow but half the price? Why would I not choose that one?
    I just bought the flip fluids addon for blender for $50 that is a plugin worth its price. Amazing value!

haha how about asking Juan for octane licenses...

HR .. stop trolling every thread... ....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast