Thread: UnrealEngine

I'm guessing that since LW2018 is more accessible to programmers,
    one of you Coders should be able to create a custom Exporter/Importer to and from Unreal Engine.

Not FBX, but our own Shibizle.

That would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by VonBon View Post
    I'm guessing that since LW2018 is more accessible to programmers,
    one of you Coders should be able to create a custom Exporter/Importer to and from Unreal Engine.

Not FBX, but our own Shibizle.
    Well, a good place to start would be descriptions of how the existing FBX-based workflow is inefficient, and how you would prioritize the different capabilities you'd want in a direct LW<->UE4 workflow? In other words, give some working requirements that provide a basis for development. Just saying "make it" (or worse, "make it better") isn't very useful in terms of encouraging or guiding development. It also makes it highly probable that what you get will miss some important aspects of the workflow you want/need.

The "ideal general workflow" is neither obvious, nor even necessarily possible/desirable. By giving a starting point of the workflow you'd want, it opens the discussion so others (with perhaps different workflow desires) can comment, and out of that discussion a developer can begin to figure out what's really important, what are general needs versus niche interests, and so forth.

Hope this helps!
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

One place to start, would be looking at what is available for the game industry standards Maya and Max for Unreal I/O, and match it or improve upon it. The Cryengine exporter for Max added a new type of material option in max, that was set up to work in Cry. There was still some set up work to do, but it did remove a few steps from an fbx import. It also allowed you to set collision objects in max, and a few other things. Haven't used it for a few years, but it was good at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    One place to start, would be looking at what is available for the game industry standards Maya and Max for Unreal I/O, and match it or improve upon it.
    Expecting devs to come up with Maya/Max, and be experienced with a decent, let alone optimal, workflow for the Unreal I/O tools either app has, is just making it all less and less likely to occur. Sure, some devs will have access to those tools, and some of those will be experienced with those tools and workflows, but in requiring all that, you're greatly reducing the potential pool of developers able to produce what you want.

You're much better off having users experienced with those tools come up with a set of requirements and a proposed workflow for how they'd like interchange to work in LW. Yes, that requires a bit of work from the folks wanting the tools, but makes the chances of it occurring much better. You're already expecting the dev to do all the development/test work, trying to push all the requirements gathering work, etc. onto the dev as well is, again, just lowering the chances it'll actually occur (as well as making it a less attractive project).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Expecting devs to come up with Maya/Max, and be experienced with a decent, let alone optimal, workflow for the Unreal I/O tools either app has, is just making it all less and less likely to occur. Sure, some devs will have access to those tools, and some of those will be experienced with those tools and workflows, but in requiring all that, you're greatly reducing the potential pool of developers able to produce what you want.

You're much better off having users experienced with those tools come up with a set of requirements and a proposed workflow for how they'd like interchange to work in LW. Yes, that requires a bit of work from the folks wanting the tools, but makes the chances of it occurring much better. You're already expecting the dev to do all the development/test work, trying to push all the requirements gathering work, etc. onto the dev as well is, again, just lowering the chances it'll actually occur (as well as making it a less attractive project).
    No disagreement here. I was just stating generally that the game industry use maya and max, so the current pro workflows with unreal I/O are probably happening there. That would be a good place for interested users or developers to look, and see what capabilities can be duplicated, or improved on for a LW to Unreal I/O. I'm not working with those apps or unreal at the moment, so I can't say what the workflow is these days. Unreal is very interesting though. The easier it is to use LW in conjunction with such a powerful real time engine the better it is for LW. Hopefully people who are working in those pipelines currently, and have an interest in LW will step up, and let us know what functions are needed to make LW and unreal work together as well as max and maya.

I'm going to put some ideas and workflows together.
    Will start off with the importing of objects and materials.

Ideally something like the Unreal DataSmith would be nice.

I'd like to see more development in the AR side for Lightwave with Unreal Engine.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie2Strokes View Post
    I'd like to see more development in the AR side for Lightwave with Unreal Engine.
    Like what? That's a very vague request.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 05-29-2018 at 09:59 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Would be crazy if you could use it as the UI.

I'm assuming AR = Augmented Reality.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Like what? That's a very vague request.
    Augmented Reality. I know that Liberty3D is offering an ARKit to output Lightwave into AR work in Unity 3D. But I haven't read anybody doing the same for Unreal Engine.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I know what AR means, I mean SPECIFICALLY what do you want LW to be able to do with Unreal?

Read JWeide's post above.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

yes, for what I do I don't see fbx really lacking, and in fact if you watch some of the datasmith 3d max tutorials, you almost seem to have to go through the exact same steps and methods as you do for FBX, you still have to create separate light maps, uvs have to be correct, lots of surfaces are not yet supported afaik, seems the only extra you get is light placement, I build all my scenes in modeller layers then just resave, the click re import on that layer in unreal and everything is fine, I think its more the modelling/uv/surface support that needs a tweak in lightwave, the actual exchange of fbx for me at least is fairly painless
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

I'd like to see a demonstration of how Lightwave - with UE 4 - can create AR content for tablets and smart phones.