Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lw2018.... A magazine review

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Yes, I think it’s a big problem. How much have you spent after buying all those plugins? The great value of LW that people talk about just isn’t there anymore. And still after buying all these plugins you still doesn’t have a unified app with functional undo and you still lack a lot of features and workflows that you find in the other major 3d apps.
    In terms of cost for the additional plugins, I have probably spent about $500, in total, if I count the $275 upgrade price, that lasted until March.

EDIT: And no subscription fees to either NewTek nor the developers of the plugins.
    Last edited by Cageman; 05-17-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    In terms of cost for the additional plugins, I have probably spent about $500, in total, if I count the $275 upgrade price, that lasted until March.

EDIT: And no subscription fees to either NewTek nor the developers of the plugins.
    Ok!? Looked at LWCad and 3rdpowers plugins all that cost around $1000 + $295 lw upgrade its $1300. I’ll pass, too expensive for me and at work they don’t want to invest in LW so I’ll stick with Blender and C4D and LW2015...for now.

Subscription discussion aside, you enjoying such low fees comes back in the way of 2-3 years of development time for LW with less features as well as a tiny number of 3rd party developers for LW because there's simply no money to be made in LW plugin development any longer.

I prefer the term streamlined myself.

Constructive...
    Adjective
    Helping to improve; promoting further development or advancement (opposed to destructive)
    Constructive criticism. ..

Well who knew, constant bitching, nagging, whining and moaning isn't 'constructive criticism'

It's just being an arsehole, not productive and destructive. How is it 'helping' exactly.

Nice to read the review the other day Andrew... I actually thought it was a fair one. You didn't gloss over the negatives, you mentioned them, and went on to show/describe the positive things that have been added in 2018. It reminded me of how much they'd done, and all during that stall period, which must have been strange.

I'm happy to support LightWave still, as I find it quicker for me to do things in than other apps. UV-ing is shonky, and I hate it, so I do that in other apps most of the time.
    I also use other apps, and find them equally, if not more, infuriating to use than LW, so that's why is still stick with LW.

A lot of the people here moan, but actually, if you spend a few weeks with 3dsMax, or another application by autodesk, you'll be hankering to come back to LW after that.
    Luckily, I'm in a position where I can use whatever i choose at work, whatever will get the job done... but recently having to use 3dsMax more and more for group projects, has made me realise again how nice LW is to use.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

The Pluto Station has a bit of a Space 1999 thing to it. Was that the inspiration ? I think there is a UK Expo event soon - are you speaking there Andrew ?

Not this year, but I should be there. Thanks

Hmmm ....

• Member 1: 'LW is not good value because you have to spend a fortune on plugins to supplement it.'
    • Member 2: 'Actually, I didn't really spend very much.'
    • Member 3: 'Sure LW plugins are cheap, but that's also bad because yadaa yadda yadda.'

Does this seem just a tad ironic to anyone else?

I seriously think it would do everyone here good on a personal level to review their last 50 posts, and see whether they can find at least 5 that can be construed in any way as overall constructive or positive. Then ask yourself honestly whether those who seem to bristle at the preponderance of your posts don't perhaps have a bit of a point.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Subscription discussion aside, you enjoying such low fees comes back in the way of 2-3 years of development time for LW with less features as well as a tiny number of 3rd party developers for LW because there's simply no money to be made in LW plugin development any longer.
    Not sure what you are on about with that statement?

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....pt-previously)

Not possible in earlier versions of LW, and from what I understand, the SDK is now allowing a whole slew of scripting capabilities that were just a dream prior to LW2018.

That said... if you are happy with other tools, then all the power to you.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Hmmm ....

• Member 1: 'LW is not good value because you have to spend a fortune on plugins to supplement it.'
    • Member 2: 'Actually, I didn't really spend very much.'
    • Member 3: 'Sure LW plugins are cheap, but that's also bad because yadaa yadda yadda.'

Does this seem just a tad ironic to anyone else?

I seriously think it would do everyone here good on a personal level to review their last 50 posts, and see whether they can find at least 5 that can be construed in any way as overall constructive or positive. Then ask yourself honestly whether those who seem to bristle at the preponderance of your posts don't perhaps have a bit of a point.
    One of the most extraordinary contributions here was, to paraphrase: "I don't know Maya but it's better than Lightwave because I read about it..."

Sorry, couldn't resist. A more perceptive and insightful review would be hard to find...
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    yes please read LW reviews from non-lw users ... hahaha!
    Lol. Some people really can't see the big picture..
    Last edited by samurai_x; 05-18-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Overall, fairly positive responses.
    I think we didn't read the same reviews.
    It got murdered on the Foundry forum link. The CGtalk link talks a lot about how old it is, the split, the ui then it veered to c4d talks.

Here's bugzilla's review of Lw 2018 from the Cgtalk link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TExp...ature=youtu.be

Some interesting comments there. DJ Lithium is posting some interesting things to calilifestyle151.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Lol. Some people really can't see the big picture.
    it is VERY important what non-lw users also think of Lightwave. They are people who might buy into the product and put some cashflow to speed up development to a faster pace. The existing userbase is dwindling as it is.
    They need to build from their dwindling base though. At this point I think it is primarily people that are already familiar with lw who are the primary market for the latest version. It is probably better to have someone intimately familiar with the prior versions review the software and can compare it with previous versions than someone who would compare it with other software. At this stage at least...

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    I think we didn't read the same reviews.
    It got murdered on the Foundry forum link.
    But isn't that to be expected to an extent since users of another primary software tend to have their own comfort zones, and Modo and LW have a certain shared history with a sort of sibling rivalry thing going on with some users (not all ). LW got some stick because of staff changes, but some Modonauts are now sweating because Stuart Ferguson just left. Just ebbs and flows...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast