Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 157

Thread: Lw2018.... A magazine review

  1. #1
    Registered User ianr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chiltern Riviera
    Posts
    1,441

    Lw2018.... A magazine review


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TO LWIKI LW2018 WIKI BLURRED PRINTED MAG Review by Andrew Combs.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	141654


    ............................ LW 2018-- A MAGAZINE REVIEW ****


    Lo & Behold, a double page review of LightWave 2018 appears in issue no 79 (June) of 3DARTIST Mag.
    Well, for LW3DG it has some marketing bonus here as the magazines ever up beat, inquisitive editor
    Carrie Mok has put emblazoned this review with the seal of starred approval.
    I for one, was worried if 2018 would ever gain magazine space, but Andrew Combs review is deftly done.
    Just enough vibe on update facts and kudos tempered by the concerns of user /up-graders creates a very
    good balance that does not put you off.
    His measured statements mark this out as the best LightWave review in a long time, as I shuddered over
    the angst expressed in some past reviews.
    Mark this, if you can get a copy, support the magazine (paper or electronic) it’s a good read, it comes in
    English and Italian (S.A.) versions.
    Shown here with the main text blurred for copyright reasons gives you a visual flavour of pages 82/83.
    All of us wanted the word spread of this new release so to paraphrase: Houston you’ve got exposure!
    With a sigh of relief for a positive outcome, the door is open for 3DARTIST Mag to carry LW Plug-ins reviews
    again,which I discussed with Carrie earlier in this year, well done all round.

    (also on lightwiki)

  2. #2
    da what? daforum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    1,685
    This is great to see and a positive for LW too.
    Hopefully more companies will start to use LW again, which means more work for us starving LW'ers!
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

  3. #3
    Carbon fibre dongle® 50one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Honeycomb hideout
    Posts
    2,384
    Good stuff for sure!

  4. #4
    Dreamer Ztreem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,153
    The score seems a little bit too high? What would you give maya, houdini, 3dsmax, c4d and blender if they would be on the same measuring system? 5 on everything? Lw has many features but compared to other popular 3d apps it is lacking a lot, so how come it gets 4 out of 5?
    Note: I have not red the review, I just looked at the score in the the attached image.

  5. #5

    Long Live LightWave!

    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  6. #6
    Carbon fibre dongle® 50one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Honeycomb hideout
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    The score seems a little bit too high? What would you give maya, houdini, 3dsmax, c4d and blender if they would be on the same measuring system? 5 on everything? Lw has many features but compared to other popular 3d apps it is lacking a lot, so how come it gets 4 out of 5?
    Note: I have not red the review, I just looked at the score in the the attached image.
    Dunno, but maybe in doing what's best at, rather than everything?

  7. #7
    Still...Absolute Amateur scallahan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Salem, NH
    Posts
    176
    If ever I had a good reason to make a rare visit to my Barnes & Noble store, this is it. I want a print copy of this one.

    Steve

    Edit: Just peeked at the online version and it says the Issue number is 119.
    Last edited by scallahan1; 05-12-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Issue # correction.

  8. #8

    regarding 4 stars, it is relative.

    i mean, it really depends on what the areas of expertise should be. it can be judged based on, for example >
    -a general app
    -a Motion Graphics friendly app
    -a cheap app
    -the render engine
    -the node editor w/materials
    -the cost
    -the upgrade cost
    -combinations of the above and other factors
    etc, etc, etc...

    it depends on who sets the standards/qualifications.
    i'm ok with 4 stars.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    The score seems a little bit too high? What would you give maya, houdini, 3dsmax, c4d and blender if they would be on the same measuring system? 5 on everything? Lw has many features but compared to other popular 3d apps it is lacking a lot, so how come it gets 4 out of 5?
    Note: I have not red the review, I just looked at the score in the the attached image.
    well LW is the only 3D app out of all the big apps that Andrew uses so of course he's going to rate it high.

  10. #10
    Thanks for the head's up. I planned to buy this magazine when it goes on sale for half price thru Newsstand, usually a few times a year. But since the LW review is included I'll just cough up the chump change now. Admittedly I'm really interested in this June issue for the Houdini/Clarisse tutorials.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    well LW is the only 3D app out of all the big apps that Andrew uses so of course he's going to rate it high.
    True that, a little biased for sure, although perhaps he mentions that in his review (don't know haven't read it). I can't find this magazine anywhere these days, I think all the news agencies here finally figured out it's not a PC or gaming magazine and have fazed it out.

  12. #12
    Registered User ianr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chiltern Riviera
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by scallahan1 View Post
    If ever I had a good reason to make a rare visit to my Barnes & Noble store, this is it. I want a print copy of this one.

    Steve

    Edit: Just peeked at the online version and it says the Issue number is 119.
    Your RIGHT My Rushing BAD .......... it ISClick image for larger version. 

Name:	June issue no119 3d Artist.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	141668 issue no119 June


    GEN NOTE 2 all.

    It's a good excuse to BUY a Copy how CAN U Disagree/Bias/Mope about until U read Andrew's Copy. Dudes + pos up needed

    Anyway LW3DG are pleased it happened
    Last edited by ianr; 05-13-2018 at 08:32 AM.

  13. #13

    LightWave 2018 is likely King of the Hill when it comes to >
    1000 Render nodes combined with an ease of use node editor for shading

    one could argue that feature alone deserves 5 stars
    combine that with the price of LightWave, and it is 5+ stars


    it all depends on how you look at it.


    4 stars might seem high, 3 might seem too little,
    if LightWave excels in One area, that makes it worth it to use it, versus cost or upgrade cost, it would be kinda strange to give it 2 stars (imo)


    anyway, yep, we all know LightWave has major lacks in several areas. nothing new.
    sit down and enjoy the ride, or, don't.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  14. #14
    Dreamer Ztreem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    LightWave 2018 is likely King of the Hill when it comes to >
    1000 Render nodes combined with an ease of use node editor for shading

    one could argue that feature alone deserves 5 stars
    combine that with the price of LightWave, and it is 5+ stars


    it all depends on how you look at it.


    4 stars might seem high, 3 might seem too little,
    if LightWave excels in One area, that makes it worth it to use it, versus cost or upgrade cost, it would be kinda strange to give it 2 stars (imo)


    anyway, yep, we all know LightWave has major lacks in several areas. nothing new.
    sit down and enjoy the ride, or, don't.
    No, Blender is both cheaper and better value imho. I don’t enjoy the ride and that’s also why I don’t upgrade to 2018.

  15. #15

    i can see that. the app you are talking about has an alright surface node editor.

    the point is, again, that it is what you personally needs that counts.

    for example if smoke fluids sucks in app X, then LightWave is the best way go. for some.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •