Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightwave 2018.0.4 and memory issues

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It's been identified as a Mac only issue, and has been fixed internally.
    I'm on Win7. Past week I rendered pretty simple animation. At the beginning system ram usage was 1.7GB, after 500 frames it was 7GB. So I'm afraid it is not just the Mac issue.
    System info: CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X RAM: 32GB DDR4/3200MHz MB: Asus Prime X570-P GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win10, LW2019x64

Quote Originally Posted by kolby View Post
    I'm on Win7. Past week I rendered pretty simple animation. At the beginning system ram usage was 1.7GB, after 500 frames it was 7GB. So I'm afraid it is not just the Mac issue.
    Well, depending on what was going on, it might be a different (but similar) problem. Easiest way to tell is to simply launch Layout, then hit "Render Scene"/F10 (on the default, empty scene with default render settings), and allow the sequence to render. If the memory usage by frame 60 is around 6GB, it's suffering from the same problem on Win7 as what we're seeing on Mac.

It's worth noting that LW's memory usage normally grows when rendering animations, that in and of itself isn't remarkable. Run the same "empty scene" test in LW2015 (at least on Mac) and you'll see the usage continuously rise per frame throughout the render. This is because LW is retaining buffers for the output snapshots, etc. and is expected. What's remarkable in the current case is the _rate_ of memory use growth, which is much greater than can easily be accounted for by just normal buffer costs, and much greater than the rate of growth typical in LW2015.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Well, depending on what was going on, it might be a different (but similar) problem. Easiest way to tell is to simply launch Layout, then hit "Render Scene"/F10 (on the default, empty scene with default render settings), and allow the sequence to render. If the memory usage by frame 60 is around 6GB, it's suffering from the same problem on Win7 as what we're seeing on Mac.

It's worth noting that LW's memory usage normally grows when rendering animations, that in and of itself isn't remarkable. Run the same "empty scene" test in LW2015 (at least on Mac) and you'll see the usage continuously rise per frame throughout the render. This is because LW is retaining buffers for the output snapshots, etc. and is expected. What's remarkable in the current case is the _rate_ of memory use growth, which is much greater than can easily be accounted for by just normal buffer costs, and much greater than the rate of growth typical in LW2015.
    Sure, I noticed this in 2015 but the amount of memory spent was insignificant. Interestingly, once I hit Clear Scene, the amount of memory occupied by LW dropped from 7GB to 3.6GB while freshly fired Layout has only about 250MB. The only way how to get this memory back to system was to kill the Layout. So apparently not the same issue as with the Macs but similar one on Win7.
    System info: CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X RAM: 32GB DDR4/3200MHz MB: Asus Prime X570-P GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win10, LW2019x64

Quote Originally Posted by kolby View Post
    Sure, I noticed this in 2015 but the amount of memory spent was insignificant. Interestingly, once I hit Clear Scene, the amount of memory occupied by LW dropped from 7GB to 3.6GB while freshly fired Layout has only about 250MB. The only way how to get this memory back to system was to kill the Layout. So apparently not the same issue as with the Macs but similar one on Win7.
    Definitely similar, could be same general cause, not enough info to judge. Sorry, I just haven't had time to poke around in Windows to see how similar the behavior there is to the Mac issue. I'll try to get a chance this weekend, and presuming I can, I should be in a better position to discuss.
    John W.

Hi, Folks!

What are the case numbers from any problems reported here? I would like to deliver a nudge on those specific cases.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    [url=http://www.newtek.com][b]NewTek.com[/b][/url]
    [URL=http://www.lightwave3d.com/][b]LightWave3D.com[/b][/url]
    [url=http://www.facebook.com/newtekinc][b]NewTek USA Facebook[/b][/url]
    [url=http://twitter.com/NewTekInc][b]Twitter[/b][/url]
    [url=http://www.linkedin.com/company/newtek][b]LinkedIn[/b][/url]
    [size=1]Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker :)[COLOR="DarkOrange"]
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.[/COLOR][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Hi, Folks!

What are the case numbers from any problems reported here? I would like to deliver a nudge on those specific cases.
    Chuck, I wasn't the filer on the Mac issue, the person who first raised it mentioned doing that, believe they got replies and everything, I'll try to find the thread. I'm happy to file a dupe on the Mac if needed (I have data and screens).

I haven't had a chance to test for similar behavior under Windows yet (thus no Windows filing).
    John W.

LWB-4007

Got this response May 29th:

"Yes, I believe that we have a handle on this - but more content can help test -

I will get this report assigned to the proper developer for assessment.

Thank you for your report.
    Brain! Brain? We know nothing of brain!

2018.0.5 is in your accounts
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

I was able to run the same "default scene" test I ran before, and with LW2018.0.5 (Mac) the memory growth was negligible across many frames (where the same scene before would have consumed gigs of additional memory) -- fix confirmed, and 2018.0.5 now seems even better than 2015.3 in that regard!
    John W.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    I was able to run the same "default scene" test I ran before, and with LW2018.0.5 (Mac) the memory growth was negligible across many frames (where the same scene before would have consumed gigs of additional memory) -- fix confirmed, and 2018.0.5 now seems even better than 2015.3 in that regard!
    Great news. I’ll update tonight when back home.

BTW: There is a Mac crasher that is being addressed ASAP

Thanks. I'll wait a bit before upgrading, then.

(withdrawn by author)
    Last edited by jwiede; 07-03-2018 at 07:08 PM.
    John W.

Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Fixed.
    Much appreciated, thanks Matt (and everyone else involved)!
    John W.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123