Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2018.0.4 and memory issues

Lightwave 2018.0.4 and memory issues

Lightwave 2018.0.4 is still crashing on my Mac, running out of application memory after rendering a few frames of animation.

I have 24 GB of Ram, 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, OS Sierra 10.12.6
    Brain! Brain? We know nothing of brain!

must be more to it than just rendering, I loaded a .75K scene and did a turntable render over 240 frames, GI, Monte Carlo, and so on, memory did go from 3.5G to 7.5G but nothing that would crash it. Am on a Mac, same OS version as you and running LW 2018.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    must be more to it than just rendering, I loaded a .75K scene and did a turntable render over 240 frames, GI, Monte Carlo, and so on, memory did go from 3.5G to 7.5G but nothing that would crash it. Am on a Mac, same OS version as you and running LW 2018.0.4
    This happens to me even without GI and motion blur, memory rises each frame until LW crashes.
    Brain! Brain? We know nothing of brain!

I looked again, first scene I tried was all hard modelled and only around 750,000 polys which took up 3Gb of memory rising to 7 at finish of 240 frames, second time I ran a subpatch model of around 4,000,000 polys and taking up around 5Gb at start, BUT, that rose to 31Gb by the time frame one was done, don't think tessellation at render time was problem as it had only doubled to 10Gb by the time the pre pass had finished, to me that sound like there is trouble here.

This is happing to me also. I sent in a bug report.

I'm having the same problem.

Same here without animation. Rendered a sub-d still multiple times. It comsumed a few hundred MB each time. Seems to be a fat memory leak.

i'm still not doing production on 2018 yet - but wanted to start this week. did this happen in 2018.0.3 as well? maybe i should stay with this version before using it for larger projects?
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

Blog Entries
    Are you guys all using Macs or does this affect Windows as well?

Possible cause of memory usage?

I assumed a memory leak, but think that assumption was wrong.

In my case (multiple still renders of same scene on Windows 10 machine, no animation) it seems to be the image previewer that needs the ram to store the previews in memory.

Render one (preview window open)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	141838

Render ten (or so) (preview window open)

Name:	render10.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	141837

Render ten again, this time preview window closed

Name:	render10-preview-closed.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	141836

Note: Preview stores several passes, so it needs a lot of ram to hold them in memory.

Maybe that explains your issues as well?

EDIT:
    Made some more renders and closed preview each time. Ram usage does not increase in this scenario.
    Last edited by madno; 05-24-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Interesting finding, thanks.

Are you leaving the preview window open between renders?
    uh wha?

Yes, I leave the preview open - normally (64 GB installed to play with ;-).

If the window is selected I can hit "p" and get an advanced view where I can select two of the stored renders and compare them. I use it for example to check the effect of different sample settings. E.g. I can select a refl. pass of two of the renders and set a blend mode (I like the horizontal slider), to see how they differ. That only works if the window remains open during the renders (as said, the images are stored in ram not on disk).
    By the way, that helped me a lot to get a feeling for the new 2018 render engine. For example: comparing passes of a high AA render vs. one with high individual samples made quickly clear that high AA is not the go to solution like it was in 2015 (well, sometimes it still is, but normally not).

The render preview stores every render you do until you close it so obviously the memory usage will increase every time you render and if you render an entire animation with the preview open you will end up with every single frame of the animation loaded into memory.
    uh wha?

Correct. That's why I posted a second time to say I take back my assumption about a memory leak.
    Well, after I got enogh coffee to start the "Initiate Brain Active Sequence".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast