Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave Update

LightWave Update

...have to admit i got a bit curious

16:40 into the video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oFe...tu.be&t=16m40s

and hey, no speculation. (if you can resist)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    ...have to admit i got a bit curious

16:40 into the video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oFe...tu.be&t=16m40s

and hey, no speculation. (if you can resist)
    Seeing is believing, definitely will be willing to upgrade once something solid is shown

Maybe its because I've been around too long but how gullible are people? When do you stop taking everything a company says for faith and looking at what they deliver? They just put out a very unplanned and unprepared 2018 release after a year of silence, the developers working on the product or people working support didn't even have any idea when this version was going to be released, they just fired a handful of people, one of whom was the man who was partly behind the new rendering system in the newest release and now people are believing they're working on something unbelievably cool after just a few months? Dont' worry, they have a bridge to sell you also.

Charlie Brown = Lightwave user
    Lucy Van Pelt = Newtek

beeing innovative was never the problem, to communicate the innovations has become more and more a problem
    i mean its 4 month after the release and instead of capitalizing on the release with examples training etc,
    they already start to advertise the next version.
    I mean its a running theme through lw history, but from version to version this becomes more the modus operandi

Quote Originally Posted by tischbein3 View Post
    beeing innovative was never the problem, to communicate the innovations has become more and more a problem
    i mean its 4 month after the release and instead of capitalizing on the release with examples training etc,
    they already start to advertise the next version.
    I mean its a running theme through lw history, but from version to version this becomes more the modus operandi
    was innovative was just that...was, I donīt agree with you here, as Andrew Cross himself says, they have lost some of that innovative edge..It doesnīt mean lightwave isnīt good, itīs just that when you look at history..hypervoxels for instance was innovative at that time..without any real rivals I would say for those effects at that time.

If the team pull of things like instancing but with Unique instances for example, meaning a figure has several morphs to change it looks, but it only uses the original poly character, but before instanced ..it would fetch any level in between within the morph, for creating characters that doesnīt look the same, things like that I reckon would be a bit innovative if it isnīt already out ther

or why not rigs that performs motions based on AI, not using any motion capture data, but data based on how humans walk and move, and even how a horse is running..it would all be controlled within the AI based on research on how bones and ligaments actually is moving, but with a controll for setting up various motion it may contain.

Just brainstorming..

LW is massively more powerful this week due to 3rd Party plugs. Uberpass and Nodemeister and Metamorphic were supposedly not possible or practical in 2015. The LW team deserve some credit for this but I'd like to see such tools developed inhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by tischbein3 View Post
    i mean its 4 month after the release and instead of capitalizing on the release with examples training etc, they already start to advertise the next version.
    Oh for heaven's sake. Please post a link to show me the 'ad for the next version'.

I'm sure you're not referring to the conversation Andrew had with the people from PTZ Optics. Pressed to say something about LW, Andrew made a few entirely non-specific but enthusiastic comments about future developments. And, as I wrote in the other thread on this topic, the context of his comments need to be considered. Or we could blow them out of all proportion - yeah, let's do that.

His casual remarks hardly constitute an 'ad for the next version', and attempting to paint them as such is ridiculous. As if it needed to be demonstrated again, this is why we virtually never say anything substantive about future development, and why those actually involved seldom venture into the forums. Apparently now simply indicating any interest in its development or aspirations for its role in our plans is an 'ad' (or even a con job).

You know, there are those at NewTek who, for exactly this sort of reason, have long argued that we should just close these forums. Today, I wonder if they aren't correct.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Wait! Are you suggesting that the internet is full of misinformation, exaggeration, and baseless conjecture????

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post

You know, there are those at NewTek who, for exactly this sort of reason, have long argued that we should just close these forums. Today, I wonder if they aren't correct.
    They are not, itīs just some of the newtek frustration that takes a stronghold, while understandable...shutting down a forum to exclude all communication would be a highly excessive move, then again I think that statement is more of a frustration
    Unless facebook or other media somehow would filter all that speculation etc...count my participation on Facebook out of the equation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Wait! Are you suggesting that the internet is full of misinformation, exaggeration, and baseless conjecture????
    Itīs all true, all is alternative facts in a quantum reality.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ...shutting down a forum to exclude all communication would be a highly excessive move, then again I think that statement is more of a frustration
    I have never personally agreed with the idea, but I am certainly not exaggerating.

I have had to defend the continuation of the forums repeatedly over the years. Maintaining them is a time consuming exercise, and every time I start to think "Great, the tone has become more civil, and most current members are using the forums for their intended purpose", we wind up off on one of these silly tangents where someone takes something trivial, blows it out of all proportion, and those who never miss an opportunity for a jab rise to the occasion once more. I am seriously questioning whether my positive view of the value of the LW forums might be obsolete.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I have never personally agreed with the idea, but I am certainly not exaggerating.

I have had to defend the continuation of the forums repeatedly over the years. Maintaining them is a time consuming exercise, and every time I start to think "Great, the tone has become more civil, and most current members are using the forums for their intended purpose", we wind up off on one of these silly tangents where someone takes something trivial, blows it out of all proportion, and those who never miss an opportunity for a jab rise to the occasion once more. I am seriously questioning whether my positive view of the value of the LW forums might be obsolete.
    I concur, if you are here just to complain and whine, go away.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Well...You defending it, is a good thing, but if it really has been under such debate withing newtek to shut it down, depending on which people and how many, that would be seriously worrying.
    No communication at all, nor providing a forum for people to engage in interesting topics, helping etc..that I seriously believe would kill lightwave off as well as other products...and that is Seriously not a joke.
    If I had no forum to go to...I actually think I would give up on the products which it pertains, there are other products and forums that doesnīt fear communication.

Havenīt newtek learned what little and hardly any communication does to peoples trust in a company?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    I concur, if you are here just to complain and whine, go away.
    Thatīs a different story.

p.s., I am not saying that NewTek (or LW3DG) has not fallen significantly short at times, nor have I ever. But there are good reasons my car's windshield is a lot bigger than its rearview mirror. There are certainly reasons why one might reasonably question our collective judgement in the past, and no doubt there will be valid reasons to raise questions again in future. But it is bone-wearying tiresome and also counter-productive for a few people to leap on every little opportunity to make a mountain out of a molehill, dredging up every real or perceived misstep endlessly, and frankly often with completely wrong interpretations of what went down in the past.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast