Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: LightWave Update

Without any possibility of contradiction, some clearly took Andrew's comments as a claim that LW was going to knock the 3D industry on its keester in the near future. Guess what - that's unrealistic, and not what he said. Not surprisingly, some mocked this (wrong) idea. So, the conclusion is "be reasonable".
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    You are free to do so. I could even have agreed with you that discussing future development can be misplaced (and in fact Andrew himself is absolutely opposed to doing so) if there was any basis in fact for to claim there is (or ever was) an "ad" for a "new version" in the first place. But instead, you have leapt to a conclusion, and in doing so attempting to makeyour point based on a fallacy.

Fourteen minutes into an interview completely about our video line by representatives of a company that makes video products, and following two minutes of talking about how important video, and in particular, making it accessible to everyone is to NewTek, Tess (who I truly suspect had never heard of LightWave before) passed on a random chat room question asking about any LightWave announcements.

To this, Andrew clearly said:
    1. "I have not made any LW announcements"
    2. Then he repeated that a second time.
    3. Then he said "I'm not going to say what we're working on"
    4. Then he allowed himself to go just a bit beyond this "I will say this ..." and went on to talk briefly in completely opaque but enthusiastic terms about some very cool stuff that "we are working on with LightWave"
    5. Then he repeats that there is no announcement.
    6. After this, he reminisced about LW's legacy a bit, showing his clear appreciation for its contributions to the industry.

This is exactly what I mean about context, and baseless assumptions. A little discernment is helpful. Note the underlined word in item 4 above. There can be a very big difference in meaning between speaking about "what we are doing with LightWave" and saying "what we are doing to LightWave". Seriously, what are the chances that, if we wanted to "advertise" a new "version" of LW, it would be done in the above off-the-cuff manner, in a discussion about video, at a video trade show, where we not only didn't show LW, but we specifically said there was nothing to announce? In fact, where in that entire video does Andrew even use the word "version", save when discussing NDI?

I have said that I don't know much about LW development ... about that, I only get the odd glimpse. But I do know very well what we (the video group) are doing with it, because it my team is intimately involved in the effort. And I know with absolute certainty that Andrew is very, very excited about it. So when I said earlier, 'pay attention to context', take that suggestion to heart. I don't drop hints lightly.

There was nothing in this video to legitimately make anyone think we were 'advertising a new version of LW'; a discriminating listener taking context into account might even have refined his or her speculation accordingly. But of course, we are in the LW forum here, where careful consideration isn't even a concept, so rampant discord flows from the barest snippets of information like fake news spews from the internet.

(The next thing that usually happens in a case like this is someone will pop up to say "This is all NewTek's fault because this kind of thing happens when you don't take positive steps to communicate. Nature abhors a vacuum. We want a roadmap! We want a roadmap!" Which, if you stop and think for just about a nanosecond, is completely the opposite of what tischbein is saying in the first place. His complaint is we should be talking about what we have, not what we might have in the future. And on this point, if perhaps nothing else, we agree. As has often been said, 'Damned if you do, damned if you don't.")

It's days like this I'm glad I don't have your job...at least this part of it.
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31958138_2153180534699378_4444234314527277056_n.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	141594
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    It's days like this I'm glad I don't have your job...at least this part of it.
    I could pass on the daily floggings, too, but at least my co-workers are great.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345