Thread: TC1 recording and encoder H.264 File Video Sync Delay

TC1 recording and encoder H.264 File Video Sync Delay

TC1 Version: 180327
    VS4000 Version: 170901

We have our VS4000 connected to the TC1 IN’s over SDI. We usually have two callers per show. There is always about 5 frames of A/V sync delay in TC1 recordings and around 10 frames of A/V sync delay in the encode H.264 file recording. The video always lags behind the audio in the recordings. The delay is set to 0 in the TC1 IN and Mixer settings.

One other issue is that the Video is out of sync in the TC1 inputs, where it’s stretched vertically, if the TC1 session is fully up and the VS4000 is powered up or the TalkShow app is restarted. We run Skype TX control on a separate PC. I have to cycle the Input Setting / Format from Auto to 1080/29.97p or vis-a-versa to get them to sync.

Any ideas or theories? NewTek support hasn’t been able to replicate the A/V sync or VS4000 to TC1 video sync issues.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

TriCaster: 460 AE
    TalkShow: VS4000
    Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText
    Cameras: 2-Sony PMW-X70, Sony PXW-Z150

Hi Rob,

Have you tried NDI rather than SDI?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

No, but I've tried different input ports and SDI cables. I don't see the video sync delay in the program or HDMI multiviewer where I send a larger view of the program.

Something to try though.

Thanks Jeff...
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText

That's the beauty of TriCaster and Talkshow combo...no video cables ;-)

Would definitely try NDI route and see what that does for you. So easy to set up mix-minus for talent that way also.

VS4000 mix minus audio routing.pdf

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    That's the beauty of TriCaster and Talkshow combo...no video cables ;-)
    Video cables are so ... pedestrian.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Maybe I am missing something but why not use the 2 Skype channels built into the TC1 vs the separate talkshow if only getting 2 calls per show?

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    Maybe I am missing something but why not use the 2 Skype channels built into the TC1 vs the separate talkshow if only getting 2 calls per show?
    Good point! Why didn't I think of that?

Please note, the internal Skype channels on TC1 are remotely controlled from another PC as you might with TalkShow, but you must assign a Windows Password to the TC1 machine or the Skype TX remote app won't talk to TC1.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

I could be wrong (and please correct me if I am), but the TC1's internal Skype channels can only return Output 1 to the caller. If you have any reason why you wouldn't want that, then that's a reason to use an external Talkshow. We like to isolate our main talent camera (along with a mix-minus, of course) when have Skype guests. If we're using Skype to port in a remote camera feed (presser, e.g.), obviously that is a good use-case for the internal channels.

Again, if I'm wrong about my statement above, please correct me. I simply haven't found the controls for that if they exist in the UI.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLeblang View Post
    Again, if I'm wrong about my statement above, please correct me. I simply haven't found the controls for that if they exist in the UI.
    Without testing, I'm not sure if that's 100% correct or just 95% - but you're close in either case. I don't remember just now whether the return video feed is locked to the Mix 1 output, or if it's actually locked to Program, which may or may not be assigned to Mix 1. It's a fine distinction in most cases, anyway, since most people leave Mix 1 set to Program.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Good point! Why didn't I think of that?

Please note, the internal Skype channels on TC1 are remotely controlled from another PC as you might with TalkShow, but you must assign a Windows Password to the TC1 machine or the Skype TX remote app won't talk to TC1.

Thanks

Jeff
    I've had the internal TC1 Skype channels setup for some time. The problem I've had with them is that they only go up to 720p (my TC1 session is 1080 30p). I consistently get Skype call resolution on my VS4000 at 1080p as my customers use Logitech C920 webcams.

I have 1 meter SDI cables between the TC1 and VS4000 and swapping cables didn't make any difference. Another point is that I would switch back to my 460 for production shows, over the last three weeks, using the same SDI cables and never had the video delay.

I was consistently able to show support the 5-10 frame delay until this weekend when it's mysteriously resolved itself. I have never set video delay on the inputs so I'm sure that wasn't the cause.

I didn't try NDI as the A/V sync video delay is now 1-2 frames at the most and sometimes right on the money.

The other issue where the video won't sync correctly on the TC1 inputs, where it’s stretched vertically if the TC1 session is fully up and the VS4000 is powered up or the TalkShow app is restarted is still present. I was hoping that I'd be able to reproduce the A/V sync video delay again if the Input Setting / Format was set to Auto or 1080/29.97p, but that didn't bring back the problem back.

Thanks for all the replies!

Rob
    Last edited by rlsafran; 05-07-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    Rob Safran
    Share Wisdom Network
    [email protected]

Gnural Net CM & LTA
    VSE and LiveText