Thread: NDI on Intel Compute Stick

NDI on Intel Compute Stick

Hello

Has anyone tried installing NDI Studio monitor on one of the Intel Compute Stick pcs with Windows 10? Or is it too feeble for this purpose?

Network would probably have to be connected with Ethernet to usb3. Can that worK?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...k2m3w64cc.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...s/m3-6y30.html

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jwam View Post
    Hello

Has anyone tried installing NDI Studio monitor on one of the Intel Compute Stick pcs with Windows 10? Or is it too feeble for this purpose?

Network would probably have to be connected with Ethernet to usb3. Can that worK?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...k2m3w64cc.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...s/m3-6y30.html

Thanks!
    We have been testing with a Beelink AP34 which is a similar sort of thing.
    It makes a very nice NDI to HDMI Monitor (with NDI v3.5 Studio Monitor, doesn't work with pre 3.5 Studio Monitor).

The N3450 CPU of the Beelink has 4 cores (vs 2 on the Intel Stick m3), but the m3 can overclock faster and has higher GPU clock speed.

The new Studio Monitor can make use of good GPU, so its hard to predict whether the m3 or the N3450 will be better overall.

I can tell you that the Beelink with 3.5 Studio Monitor seems to work fairly nicely for Full HD 1080 output from 100mBit NDI. Have not tested with HX sources - where again the GPU might come into play.
    Last edited by livepad; 04-27-2018 at 06:08 AM.

That sounds encouraging thanks for the info

I use the ASUS stick computer and it works great. Works on WiFi or Tripplite makes a great USB to Dual LAN. Only downside has been the inability to get the NDI Studio Monitor to go full screen with out windows tool bar issues.

I am currently testing the Beelink N3450, but the latest Studio Monitor is very choppy even on 1080i60 feeds. Did you wipe it and install Windows 10 Pro or anything like that? I've tried toggling the hardware options in Studio Monitor to no avail.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by lukerctv View Post
    I am currently testing the Beelink N3450, but the latest Studio Monitor is very choppy even on 1080i60 feeds. Did you wipe it and install Windows 10 Pro or anything like that? I've tried toggling the hardware options in Studio Monitor to no avail.
    The Windows installation is stock "Home", and I have no problem viewing a single stream of 1080i in Studio Monitor from the 3.7 Tools pack. I did clear out a lot of (stock Win 10) junk, but not anything that would impact playback or resource use. They hardly even get warm. I think you might want to look at network bottlenecks and traffic.

I've got six of these now on a single gigabit network, so I'm starting to think about making the jump to using multicast; but only on general principles, not because I've actually seen a problem.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I've been using the Compute Stick very successfully on WiFi. Just to be sure not to overload the wireless network, I'm sending it 480i wide-screen streams (although my tests showed that 1080i worked fine, too).

As Steve noted, standard Win 10 Home as delivered, other than adding the Remote Mouse app.

It is a great device, and you can't beat it for the price and form factor.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications
    Last edited by fgolman; 11-22-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    I've been using the Compute Stick very successfully on WiFi. Just to be sure not to overload the wireless network, I'm sending it 480i wide-screen streams (although my tests showed that 1080i worked fine, too).
    I've got my units hard-wired, so haven't really stressed the wifi connection to test. (Actually, I've got both the wifi and hotspot features disabled.) I'd expect wifi to be ok, but just, for a 1080 stream - assuming not much other traffic. I have once or twice seen the gigabit ethernet dial back to 100 Mbps when there were connection issues with my WAN. I'd not be surprised if that had a noticeable impact on performance.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Very strange, I have been playing with this Beelink N3450 device for about a week and I am not getting useful results at all.

When set to output 1080p, any NDI feed pulled up on Studio Monitor is choppy. If i set the output to 720p, it's less choppy, but dropped frames are still visible, and choppiness increases in full screen mode.

CPU usage is pegged at 100% and GPU hovers around 50%. The results are the same with hardware acceleration on and off in Studio Monitor.

Network speed is fine, and the results are the same over WiFi and ethernet.

Edit: In a hilarious turn of events, Beelink might have sent me the wrong (slower) device.
    Last edited by lukerctv; 11-28-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

Well, that might help explain things. It's a while since I checked, but I'm certain my cpu usage was much lower (I think it was in the mid 50s).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

>Very strange, I have been playing with this Beelink N3450 device for about a week and I am not getting useful results at all.
    It is expected. The problem is slow memory...I have tested atom z8350 and latest J4105 devices under Linux and they can't work good in true 1080p60 because of slow memory...GAM (Memory Arbiter) usage is 99%. In some cases J4104 device works but GAM usage still very high( 89%+). Memory bandwidth is most important for NDI but most manufactures put very slow memory on board in single channel mode. Some times even the same model has different memory. I had 2 the same z8350 boxes but one works 30% faster in NDI just because of different DDR3 memory frequencies.
    The only way to make sure that you will have good memory - buy Barebones with 2xSO-DIMM slots and put good memory to both slots.

I have tested ASUS UN65U-M023M (https://www.amazon.com/UN65U-M023M-V...ds=i3-7100u+pc) with HX424S14IBK2/8 memory and it works fine

I know this is on the lower edge of what can work, but I've been running these for months (6 units now) and so far they handle 1080i just fine.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

For anyone who needs NDI to HDMI for monitors, projectors etc there is now a new option available:
    http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ubuntumonitor.html

This is a very lean, fast, lightweight and 100% compatible, 100% reliable monitor software designed to work on mini pcs like Beelink AP34 and N41, with Ubuntu linux.

It offers an auto-startable, full screen HDMI output of NDI or NDI HX sources, with a remote web interface for changing the source.

For anyone who has been trying this with Windows, and has been hit by windows updates, crashes or other quirks, running these types of appliance in Linux is a much smoother ride.