Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help setting up mix minus on 2 talkshows on Tricaster advanced 410

Need help setting up mix minus on 2 talkshows on Tricaster advanced 410

I am going crazy. Been searching forum. Need to get this set up as soon as possible.
    Need both Skype 1 and 2 callers to hear each other, myself but not themselves. And I need to hear them both.
    They have both been using headphones, I am using them as well from out of the headphone jack of the 410.

-Chuck

This is pretty straightforward if you are using NDI to connect the two systems.

One approach is to set up a single AUX mix to drop out the incoming Skype audio from one caller on its first channel, and the second caller on its second channel. Then assign that AUX mix as the return for both callers on TalkShow. Finally, use Talkshow's audio return faders to mute the second channel for the return to caller 1, and the first channel for the return to caller 2.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Looks like my post didnt reply.
    I will try again.
    I tried to follow along on the 2 min tutorial on setting up a mix minus in tricaster advanced.
    But at the end when you change the hardware output config, when on the video it shows output 1,2,3 and 4 I am showing Mix 1,2,3 and 4
    I have talkshow #1 set to input 7 and Talkshow #2 to input 8.
    As the video instructed, I turned off the aux 1 output on all 4 channels in Routing.
    So what do I change on Input 8? (Talkshow #2)

And yes I am using NDI on both
    Last edited by themovieguy; 04-25-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Cool, this should work nicely for you then (I note you are running AE, which makes the routing easier).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

What should work nicely. I do not know wha to do with the second Talkshow (input 8) Do I do the same (remove Aux 1 all four channels?)

Also, what do I choose for the audio source on Talkshow #1? I do not have a dropdown box for Aux1 only Input's 1-4 , mix 1-4 both talkshow 1 and 2 and follow video source and Input one.

OK, let's try to get a little more detail. Are you running two VS100s, or two VS-4000s? In either case, how many unique Skype calls are you connecting to TC, and which TC inputs are you assigning them to?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

This doc may be helpful to illustrate the workflow

VS4000 mix minus audio routing.pdf

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Cool, that's the idea.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    OK, let's try to get a little more detail. Are you running two VS100s, or two VS-4000s? In either case, how many unique Skype calls are you connecting to TC, and which TC inputs are you assigning them to?
    Ok. 2 Vs100

two unique callers

The Tricaster advanced inputs are 7 and 8

I want each caller to be able to hear each other and the show but not themselves.

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by themovieguy View Post
    I want each caller to be able to hear each other and the show but not themselves.
    That's pretty much the definition of "mix minus". The document Jeff posted is right on the mark (and mix minus is discussed in the manual as well btw), but since you're running only two Skype TX inputs, your setup can be a bit simpler. (Actually, if you aren't using the Master audio output channels 3 and 4 for anything, you could configure them as the mix minus outputs, but lets not go there just to avoid unnecessary confusion.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mix_minus2.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	141434

In this example, I'm using audio Aux 1 to carry both unique mix minus return feeds. To do this, I'm assigning Aux 1 as the audio source to accompany TriCaster's Mix 2 NDI output. The attached images show what your basic setup should look like in 1) the audio router settings for TriCaster, 2) TC's output config panel, and 3) the first VS100's return config tab (for the second VS100, mute everything other than input 2 instead).

• Assuming you haven't messed around with the default routing for other sources, this will (obviously) remove sound from input 7 from AUX 1's first output channel, but transmit it on ch. 2. And sound from input 8 is removed from Aux 1's second channel. If you assign Mix 2 (which is accompanied by Aux 1 sound) as the return feed for both TalkShows.

• Since TalkShow's audio follows the video source by default, all you need to do is use TalkShow's return audio controls to mute everything other than channel 1 for the unit connected to TC's Input 7, and mute everything other than channel 2 for the unit connected to TC's input 8.

(It took me a lot longer to write this than it should to actually do it, but don't feel too bad about struggling with it at first. Despite how easy it is once you get the idea, our own NAB setup team struggled with it initially when VS4000 was first shown until I spent a few minutes with them. Although that involved a lot more connections, it's basically just more of the same.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

In the diagram you show on the talkshow return to caller audio source as UX(Mix2) I am assuming that is the name of your tricaster? Because I am not showing that.
    So in Talkshow #1 I show the my tricaster Mix 2 as the video source and follow video source as the audio source.
    Even if I am using ME/1 as my virtual set and I want my callers to see that? This is what confuses me.
    So if I have two callers, one on each talkshow, they will hear everything in the show and the other caller but not themselves.
    If I read this, I think I need to set the video source in the talkshow return to caller to the tricaster Mix 1 (which is me and the virtual set) and select on the return to caller talkshow output to Tricaster Mix 2)

I did a test call using headphones on skype to machine #1 and you hear is your own voice back as soon as you talk.
    I must be doing something wrong.

I am assuming that is the name of your tricaster? ... So in Talkshow #1 I show the my tricaster Mix 2 as the video source and follow video source as the audio source.
    Correct.

Even if I am using ME/1 as my virtual set and I want my callers to see that? This is what confuses me.
    Why? Mix 1-4 are all have Program output set as the video source by default. Are you not showing M/E 1 on Program out?

I think I need to set the video source in the talkshow return to caller to the tricaster Mix 1 (which is me and the virtual set) and select on the return to caller talkshow output to Tricaster Mix 2)
    No. See my reply to the question above.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I must be doing something wrong.
    Sounds like it. If you have set this up correctly, and can explain to me how you can hear your own voice back when you are returning Mix 1 channel 1, from which you have deliberately removed the sound from Input 7, I'll buy you a beer the next time I see you.

If you can't get this puzzled out, please post screengrabs (or cellphone photos, if that's easier) showing 1) your TC audio routing setups (plural), 2) your TC output config panel, and 3) VS100 return audio setups.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast