Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Metamorphic for LightWave 2018 (AnimatedSculpt previously)

I'm still not able to use this properly, the strokes are very jagged, the (default brush is clearly visible).

This is what I get even with Stroke Steps 1, higher values are even worse (using Mouse, when I use the Tablet it is slightly better, but not much):

Attachment 141749

This is what I would expect (other application, built-in sculpt with default subdiv, same geometry, 100x100x100 cube, also using Mouse):

Attachment 141750

Am I doing something wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Am I doing something wrong here?
    Are you (shift) smoothing as noted in the green text at bottom of screen?
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Thanks for your answer.

1) Smoothing is a different brush / separate step, meaning I have to smooth all previous strokes as far as I understand

2) Smoothing gets the result smoother :-) yes, but still not nice equal strokes (as you see in the other app example in the previous post with a simple single stroke).

In this example I used smoothing as a second step on the strokes and the bottom two lines were done with the Tablet (and smoothing). Still not how I expect this to work.

Attachment 141760

Going over with the smoothing operator won't really solve the stepping of the strokes, it'll just make the local stepping (a little) less obvious.

Once that kind of stepping is present in the data, smoothing just rounds out the local step transitions, it won't (can't) produce the equivalent of a proper interpolation curve across the entire stroke length.
    Last edited by jwiede; 05-18-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Right. I was just noting that nothing was being done wrong as the user. The demonstration videos show a second smoothing stroke as the solution for now.

The demonstration videos show a second smoothing stroke as the solution for now.
    Having to go over every long stroke with a bunch of smoothing isn't a "solution", it's a time-consuming workaround.

Other pkgs manage to fix this problem, so can Metamorphic. That's Marander's (and my) point.
    Last edited by jwiede; 05-19-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    John W.

It's a solution until something better is issued. I can't sit on the toilet and produce 3D animation with my mind. The solution for now is to use software on a computer. 3D animation is a lot more time consuming than magically imagining it on the toilet...but it is just what is available now.

perhaps does exists a PCIe interface to plug between your toilet and a (fast) computer, which would magically transfom them directly in a 3D scene...
    Le Jardin Digital - Créations 3D / Design /Films - www.lejardindigital.fr

I can't sit on the toilet and produce 3D animation with my minD.
    (Warning, juvenile potty humor follows) I can, but most people think my work is...well, you know.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi guys!

I'm well aware of the issue with the brush stepping, and working on a fix soon

Quote Originally Posted by jay3d View Post
    Hi guys!

That's great to hear thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jay3d View Post
    Hi guys!

Yep, glad to hear that. The other problem with trying to use smoothing to fix is that unless the user can perfectly match the original stroke path & width, doing so can actually make things worse at the "edges" where the smoothing stroke "misses" parts of the original stroke creating more "steps". That said, if there were a way to go back and apply another effect using the exact same stroke parameters as a previous one, that offers some interesting potentials beyond just smoothing.

It might also be useful if you could also gather some customer data about whether most customers' pens offer tilt data, etc. to help gauge future features. Having ability to use pen tilt to control the "vector" of the effect could be useful if available, but I can also see scenarios where users might have pens that support tilt but don't want it used (because they can't keep the pen angle steady enough, etc.). OTOH, if most customers' pens don't support tilt (or report tilt in too chaotic a manner to be useful -- such tablets do exist, btw), there's not much potential value in pursuing tilt support. Hope that made sense!

Thanks again for all the hard work!
    Last edited by jwiede; 05-20-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    John W.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    That said, if there were a way to go back and apply another effect using the exact same stroke parameters as a previous one, that offers some interesting potentials beyond just smoothing.!
    "Do Again" is a neglected feature, one that I really liked in ToasterPaint (!!!).

I think it's a neglected tactic that could be used to advantage in many areas, but especially in brush-based applications and features. The most obvious use is for "sneaking up" on an effect (3%+3%+3%....) but if you include MODE CHANGES more...stuff is possible. Basically, it becomes a "stroke repeat" facility.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Metamorphic 1.2.8 UPDATE!!

- Speed up and more fluid sculpting
    - Fixed brush stepping behavior, and can follow very fast brush strokes with no gaps

Enjoy!

Man, can’t wait next paycheck to add it to my toolbox.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast