Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I/O:How well does LW work with the 3 Kings? Photoshop/ AE/ Illustrator

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    is Nuke not the new AE?
    That or Fusion, true. But AE has been marketed to the PS crowd very well for a very long time and it comes packaged nicely with PS. You're also going to have an uphill battle trying to convince existing AE users to abandon all their collective years of experience and jump ship to something completely different.

I think Adobe made this option easier for some by going to the subscription model. That's where I am. I bought Affinity Photo and Design for the price of two months of Adobe CC. If I need to edit video or do mogfx there are options. I would frankly pay for Fusion/Resolve than get another Adobe CC sub for 12 months.

Now I'm not on the Adobe hate train (though I do think they just don't care about their users). I do think the subscription is a good value for what's available... if you're making money with it.

LW and PS have always enjoyed fairly decent interchange, but much of that is thanks to PS's wide import/export format support.

Is LW 2018 able to import recent format-version CC AI files now? Or does it still only understand older version (v8?) AI file format?

As for AE, LW2015 has some significant interchange issues with recent CC AE versions. Has native interchange between LW 2018 and recent CC AE versions improved?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    LW and PS have always enjoyed fairly decent interchange, but much of that is thanks to PS's wide import/export format support.

Is LW 2018 able to import recent format-version CC AI files now? Or does it still only understand older version (v8?) AI file format?

As for AE, LW2015 has some significant interchange issues with recent CC AE versions. Has native interchange between LW 2018 and recent CC AE versions improved?
    On the AE interchange, ummm... not really. At least, not in my experience.

Again, it's not that it's bad... it does what it advertises. It's just that the relative alignment of the 2.5d space from AE to Lightwave tends to drop cameras, lights, nulls, etc., in some odd places. It can take a minute to find them and then of course there's the process of adjusting the scale of the workspace and the models to fit the target environment.

It's not huge, but it is a little disorienting at times.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Abso-frigging-lutely.

The APPS aren't that hard to find, it's the ancillirary stuff, addons and services: like, I'm pretty sure I have access to a boatload of fonts included, but I'm not sure....
    The fonts are available in each application. Sure, you can browse Typekit for fonts, but the place where I have found the most use for it was in AI, PS, etc. Especially in AI... it does a great job identifying fonts when you get an AI composition from someone else with a font that isn't in your system. Then it will find the font and present you with the font for download or find alternatives.

Generally, when you use the Type menu in AI or PS, there's a new option for using a Typekit font. There is a pretty decent library of fonts that are free to use, some that are restricted to specific use (web, print, etc) and of course a lot that they want to sell you, either themselves or through third-party vendors.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I don't want any particular solution: I just want Adobe to make a simple, compact list of what I'm paying for.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Well I had to find an alternative to the Adobe CC applications since I couldn't afford it anymore. And I think i found a great suite of apps from Affinity (Serif). Been working with Affinity Photo the last couple of weeks and I'm really impressed. And the price is crazy - 50$ for a license! No subscriptions. Planning to get Affinity Designer soon as well as it's priced the same.

Have a look here: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/
    Michael Englyst
    Lightwave 2018.0.2 on an i5-4430S @ 2.7 GHz · 12 GB RAM · Windows 10 Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12