Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ndi kvm

Ndi kvm

IS this available for the MINI HD with AE?

It hasn't been released yet, it isn't available on anything yet. This feature will be available on TC1 and VMC1 systems that have Premium Access. This add-on is not on available for Mini systems.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

What in the world is Premium Access? Is that different from Advanced Edition and ProTek? Sheesh. How much does that cost?
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

There are free upgrades coming to TriCaster TC1 and VMC1 system that will include new features.
    https://www.newtek.com/blog/newtek-i...1-free-update/

Premium Access gives you additional tools and features beyond that, the main enhancements are LiveGraphics, NDI KVM and Advanced Audio I/O.
    https://www.newtek.com/npa/
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

If I wanted "Premium Access" to try NDI KVM, would I be paying $99/mo total, or $99/mo per TriCaster?
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

Yikes, paid monthly subscription? LiveGraphics, NDI KVM, etc, looks cool. But man, it saddens me that NewTek is going with a subscription model for this.

"Yikes, paid monthly subscription?...it saddens me that NewTek is going with a subscription model for this."

A lot of folks have strong feelings about software subscriptions - working for an Adobe reseller and spending a lot of time on Adobe forums, I've heard it all the past few years, from both sides of the argument!

With Adobe, the " Video Collection" they used to offer cost about $1895 to buy, then you might go 12-18 months with NO new features, regardless of what new camera formats might have come out and such...you have to wait to get those new features and format support....and then pay another $695 for the upgrade when available! Or, pay $600/yr. for the CC subscription and have constant new features coming your way, and never have to lay out a lump sum for a paid upgrade. All comes out the same, or cheaper even, when spread over monthly payments. Definitely easier to budget than a lump-sum payment. Just a fixed expense item like utilities, cable, cell bill, car payment.

And as a business model, it provides the vendor with a more steady and predictable income, versus "everyone buys the upgrade at once, then revenues take a big dive until the next big release". Back to Adobe, when a new paid upgrade would come out, we'd be really busy for several weeks taking upgrade orders, then sales would die off until the next big upgrade came along 12-18 months later. Always feast or famine!

As we know, Newtek is constantly coming out with new (free) upgrades for TriCaster, adding new features. And with NDI, look at how they keep improving that and adding more options! They have to pay their programmers every week for what they are doing, whether sales and revenue are up or down that week or month.

The apps and features in the "Premium Access" package are obviously geared towards power users, not the person who might use their TriCaster on a couple of gigs a month. Sure, we'd all might enjoy using some of those features those couple of times a month, but then would we really be willing to BUY those apps outright for such limited usage? Kind of like I might like to have a boat, but am I willing to make that investment for the little bit I'd get to enjoy it?

LivePanel is included in Premium Access, or costs $995 to purchase. That $995 nearly covers the first year of Premium Access payments, and you'd get so much more software! Let's compare LiveGraphics to NewBlue Live, which costs $2499. How much might you pay to BUY LiveGraphics? And if you did BUY those packages, how much would you pay for major updates/upgrades in the future possibly? Need more Virtual Sets? They might cost $300-400 EACH to purchase, but Premium Access provides them with the subscription.

To me, $99 a month sounds better than laying out a few grand at once to buy several apps. I have school, corporate, and government customers that produce daily/weekly shows with TriCaster that could really benefit from Premium Access features and it would be worth it for them, and I think that is what this package is geared towards.

One can assume that Newtek will be constantly updating and improving all of the Premium Access apps, adding new features along the way, and subscribers will have access to those latest features with no upgrade costs, right? This keeps you the customer always up to date with the latest software at a fixed expense, and provides a revenue stream for Newtek to pay their staff for continued innovation in updating and adding to those apps.

On other side of the coin, people will say "my work is seasonal and I don't want to be forced to pay monthly for something I'm not using part of the year". Well, if a lump-sum purchase was put on a credit card, you'd still be paying monthly. Maybe you'll be able to "turn off" the subscription for a few months if you don't need it? I don't have all the details, but that may be an option.

Love it or hate it, times change and subscriptions are where the software market has been heading for a few years now.

Thanks

Jeff
    Last edited by JPulera; 04-19-2018 at 07:59 AM.
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Premium Access is per system, you can purchase it either monthly (with the ability to turn it on and off per month as needed) or yearly with a discount.

There are still updates and new features without Premium Access, the link I posted above lists what is coming to the base product.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

My personal instinct, like most I think, was to shy away from subs. I think some of that flows from inherent 'pride of ownership', but perhaps there is also an aspect that involves the assurance that the software (in this case) will be reliably available to me come what may.

On the other side, there are valid economic arguments for 'renting' that we are probably all aware of. The fact is, though, that Jeff is right - the marketplace (really, many marketplaces) is clearly moving in the direction of 'services' versus 'products'. At some level it will probably always be a mixture, and ideally - as a consumer - I'd like to have both alternatives, so I can select the option that best fits a particular need. I don't feel as militant about it as I once did, though.

It's early days in this trend, and NewTek's implementation is in its infancy. I'm pretty confident it will develop into something that serves the market well. It must, really, or it will not serve NewTek well either.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Premium Access is per system
    Yep, I'm out. Consider reevaluating that aggressively anti-customer position.

$99/mo per system, but what does that even mean? Is the NC I/O unit considered a "system" too? The Minis can't utilize all of the Premium Access features. Will they also cost $99/mo?
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by lukerctv View Post
    $99/mo per system, but what does that even mean? Is the NC I/O unit considered a "system" too? The Minis can't utilize all of the Premium Access features. Will they also cost $99/mo?
    I don't know if you read the page, Premium Access is for TC1 and VMC1 systems to get the listed additional features (and anything else added in the future). It is not available for other systems and rest assured we will not charge for systems that cannot get this add-on.
    Last edited by kanep; 04-19-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Premium Access is for TC1 and VMC1 systems to get the listed addition features (and anything else added in the future).
    Is this a guarantee, though? I thought the same thing when I paid $2000 for each of my TriCasters to get Advanced Edition, which also promised perpetual updates and additional features. Not to mention that if you want support for any of these products, you're looking at another subscription for ProTek - which is ALSO per-system. Ouch.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

Is this a guarantee, though? I thought the same thing when I paid $2000 for each of my TriCasters to get Advanced Edition, which also promised perpetual updates and additional features.
    Are you sure about this? AE users, particularly those that bought AE1 and then got AE2 for free, have received a lot of enhancements over time, but I honestly don't recall it ever being suggested that AE involved endless additional features.

There were a number of features in both AE editions that I personally felt were worth the purchase price all by themselves, but at the end of the day NewTek needs to make a buck. Development can't continue forever without feeding the machine.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

My concern is more like, what's to stop NewTek from introducing Premium Access 2 in a few years? Sure, you can continue paying $99/mo for Premium Access 1, but you'll be missing out on all the new features we added.

And I am certainly sure of all the salestalk I got about Advanced Edition being the be-all-end-all of NewTek software upgrades. I agree it was worth the price - Premium Access 1 might be worth that ballpark price for a one-time site-wide upgrade, too. But not $99/mo per TriCaster forever.
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    Video Nerd

My concern is more like, what's to stop NewTek from introducing Premium Access 2 in a few years? Sure, you can continue paying $99/mo for Premium Access 1, but you'll be missing out on all the new features we added.
    That's the advantage of subscription. You pay a smaller amount, over time and get that latest of what is added as it becomes available. Adobe is doing this with Creative Cloud, Microsoft with Office 365, Avid with Media Composer, the list goes on and on. All of these companies are making the product easier to access to more people and just offer updates on a more regular basis versus waiting a year or two and then putting out a big release trying to get everyone to upgrade. I've got a personal Microsoft Office 365 account and love it! They release updates every few weeks sometimes multiple times in a month.

NewTek isn't out to take advantage, but as Steve mentions we can't offer everything for free (and we offer A LOT for free!). The free NDI SDK, free NDI Tools (with the free 3.5 version coming soon), free 'base' system software updates, free chat support. Yes you do have to pay for some extras (like ProTek or more advanced features), but none of that takes away that we still are offering lots of free stuff as well.
    Last edited by kanep; 04-19-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast