Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHQ2 Codec issue in latest (4 April) Premiere Pro CC

SHQ2 Codec issue in latest (4 April) Premiere Pro CC

Yesterdays update to Premier Pro appears to have broken support of the SHQ2 codec as an output option.

Trying to use the previously used preset results in an error message saying the codec is not supported.

Creating a new preset in Media Encoder the SHQ2 codecs cannot be found under Quicktime, but can be found under AVI. Files created as AVI's appear to play ok (no thumbnail) in the DDRs but we are nervous!

With 4 video editors preparing news clips to run on an IP Series from a NAS this has caused a lot of problems today.

It would be good to know what other codecs we could use in this way - a question that we have not been able to get an answer to!

Mark
    Mark

Broadcast Engineering & Consultancy Worldwide

Adobe removed all support for the Apple Quicktime libraries in the latest update. That means no more 3rd party codec support for anybody in the Adobe Creative Cloud suite of applications.

For most HD formats, IP Series (or TC1 and TC-AE2) systems should write out Quicktime files in a XDCAM style codec that will open in the new version of Premiere directly. However, you are correct in that SpeedHQ is currently not working with this latest update. Since Adobe is under control of all of the codec support in their applications it would be up to them to add support for any additional codecs.

Otherwise, you will need to convert SpeedHQ files into another codec. You can use the built in TriCaster export feature to convert files into ProRes which would work.
    Last edited by kanep; 04-05-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

What 32 bit formats does this new Adobe version export?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

From what I see in Adobe Media Encoder, 32-bit color depth codec support is available for Animation, Cineform and DNxHR/DNxHD QuickTime exports on Windows. I'd assume that on Mac you will also have ProRes as on option.

I've not tried it, but SpeedHQ is still available as an option in the AVI export settings, it shows 32-bit color as an option.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

DNxHD might be an option, I guess. Animation is massive, hardly compressed at all. Is the PNG Quicktime format gone?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

As I mentioned in the original post SHQ2 is available under AVI and does appear to work - but is this supported?

The question is on the creation of files for playback on an IP Series from a NAS, not for editing files recorded on the IP Series (although this is needed occasionally).
    Mark

Broadcast Engineering & Consultancy Worldwide

Quote Originally Posted by TTFNTV View Post
    As I mentioned in the original post SHQ2 is available under AVI and does appear to work - but is this supported?
    Sure it is (notwithstanding your icons issue), I'm just curious what else remains after they reduced their QT support.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Here is a list of all of the Quicktime codecs available in After Effects v15.1.0 on Windows 10. The list is the same on Adobe Media Encoder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE-QuicktimeCodecList.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	141043
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by TTFNTV View Post

The question is on the creation of files for playback on an IP Series from a NAS, not for editing files recorded on the IP Series (although this is needed occasionally).
    We find that our Tricasters play H.264 files just fine without an import transcode. The CPU load is likely higher, but we have yet to run in to a problem.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Thanks. H.264 doesn't offer embedded alpha, mind you.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Thanks. H.264 doesn't offer embedded alpha, mind you.
    Actually, it can include Alpha

I believe Apple Motion does/used to offer H.264 with Alpha, and we have certainly come across that before.

its the surprising one.

Crappppp. I was sitting over here thinking to myself, "I don't think 32 bit color depth is really that big a deal, we have plenty of options." Didn't even think about Alpha, which was the whole reason we were using those codecs in the first place.
    www.avprva.com

Finding several options that suppposedly support Alpha included JPEG2000 and a an AVI in SpeedHQ, but the SpeeHQ file (I selected 4:2:2 with alpha) isn't recognized as having Alpha in Premiere. It's the smalelst file.

JPEG2000 seems to be working great. I'll have to try them both on a Tricaster before I can offer additional info.

Every DNxHD file I tried was huuuuge and I haven't been able to figure out if any of them have alpha. I know there are versions of it with alpha, but I can't figure out which ones.
    www.avprva.com

Quote Originally Posted by livepad View Post
    Actually, it can include Alpha
    Interesting, I've not seen that implemented anywhere.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Here is a list of all of the Quicktime codecs available in After Effects v15.1.0 on Windows 10. The list is the same on Adobe Media Encoder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE-QuicktimeCodecList.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	141043
    This page from Adobe.Com has more detail:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/...t-dropped.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast