Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of work do you Lightwave for? Tell us about your projects (VFX/GAMES/ etc)

What kind of work do you Lightwave for? Tell us about your projects (VFX/GAMES/ etc)

One thing that would help the developers bit more to get a sense of the people here on the forum,
    is if they could tell us a bit about the kind of work they are doing for LW.

I know we have been here forever, but it might help to clear the air to get an idea
    of what the forum users are using LW for.

So tell us:
    * Tell us bit about who you are.

* Are you using Lightwave for:
    MOTION GRAPHICS/ BROADCAST GRAPHICS/ DESIGN / ILLUSTRATION/ VFX/ GAMES / 3D PRINTING or VR

* Could you show us some examples of your work?

* What would you LIKE to use LW for? What is the limitation?

I am looking forward to seeing your work.

-R
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

I use LW for furniture design. A very small sample is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Tim: Very nice!!!
    http://www.soap3d.com

email:
    [email protected]

Available for freelance!!

Tim, Very very nice sample !!!
    Eddy Marillat - PIXYM
    WS : MB ASUS X299-Pro/SE - i9 7980XE 2,6ghz 18C/36T - 32GB Ram- 2 GTX 1080 TI - Win 10 64
    GPU Net Rig : MB Biostar - Celeron 2,8 ghz 2C/2T - 8GB Ram - 2 RTX 2080 TI - Win 7 64

I use LW only for ArchViz.
    Eddy Marillat - PIXYM
    WS : MB ASUS X299-Pro/SE - i9 7980XE 2,6ghz 18C/36T - 32GB Ram- 2 GTX 1080 TI - Win 10 64
    GPU Net Rig : MB Biostar - Celeron 2,8 ghz 2C/2T - 8GB Ram - 2 RTX 2080 TI - Win 7 64

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    I'm a Tool & die maker. Basicly that means I build automated machinery intended to mass produce parts or a product. I've also got a hobby shop at home, with cnc, cad, cam and mess around with electronics and programming. I got started in computers back in the Altair days and and had friends who were doing the supper 8 /16mm - vhs stuff with hopes and dreams of getting into tv or movies. Mostly I liked animation and has been drawing pictures in the corners of books since I was 4 or 5.

MOTION GRAPHICS/ BROADCAST GRAPHICS/ DESIGN / ILLUSTRATION/ VFX/ GAMES / 3D PRINTING or VR
    Hummm, yes, mostly, not for a few years... A long time ago I did a bunch of titling for no budget movies and a few tv ads for some small markets. Did some cd covers and a back drop for a band. Did some models and demo animations for 3 different game projects that died before a working demo. Then around Lightwave 7 I mostly settled into into doing little animated things for web pages and product design demos. Myspace/Facebook killed private web sites. 3D printing and better cad tools seems to have shrunk the product demo market. So I didn't do any thing except cad/cam stuff for a while and now my girlfriend and I are playing with the idea of doing some shorts. Maybe some stop motion brick movies or animations.

They say every thing that you post to the net stays around forever, but that's not quite true. Since ISPs started killing private sites with accounts and other sites died I haven't really had much up on the net. I should set up a youtube account or maybe a deviant art account

Probably animated shorts or fx for stop motion. Maybe other things, if something along those lines happens along. Limitations? As in what is missing or Lightwave is unable to do? Lightwave and Poser use to work well together. The FBX/BVH thing is a pain with Daz. It would seem like making the Daz / Poser assets avaliable would be a good thing for Lightwave. I have made custom figures, but when they are free or very low cost why do I want to spend my time, unless it's a job that requires a custom figure. Blender fluids are very nice as are the motion / walk tools in Daz/Poser/Max and the Daz lip sync tools are close enough for a lot of things and get you most of the way there for others. A friend and I are playing with AlterEgo singing software and the Daz Lipsync is coming out close enough animating the singer that it looks fine in the full body shots and even mostly ok in closer shots.

So tell us:

3D Generalist trading under the name albino igil. There are two of us here, both industrial designers by training, but I've spent time in multimedia and games.

All to an extent, but majority of work is Illustration/Arch Viz/Product Viz

Interior

Exterior

Game

Product

Visualising in-house Product Design

Illustration

Animation

We're also modelling for AR-ready assets for a developer, but we can't show any of these.

There's nothing else I'd *like* to use it for, but the limitations are currently being plugged by other packages:

3D Coat for UV Mapping.
    LWCAD to bring Modeler up to scratch.
    Octane for Rendering

Hopefully 2018 will address the rendering short-fall, but UV mapping needs to be addressed seriously, internally, not bolted on. And smoothing groups also need to be sorted out - I have to hand my assets over to a Max guy to fix at the moment.

Modeler I hope gets some serious love - would love to see intelligent CAD/Illustrator like tools, work planes etc.

I just want to work faster. A client's budget is usually a fixed price, and I can give them something more for that price, then we all win
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

I've been using LW since its inception.

Mainly, I use LW for doing animations of machinery recycling processes particularly showing recycling of metals and plastics from many large or small materials, and showing the operations of large scale machines and of whole installations. I can't point or post specific machines, as for many of them, I'm are under strict NDA.

Needless to say, I do lots of instancing as particulates can be in the 100's of millions. I'm provide STL, STP, or other Cad like formats. Most processes are not simmed, but are key frame animated due to the fact simms with so many particles or parts/poly's would be prohibitive. Besides, many of the machines do not exist in the real world yet.

I've been doing this stuff for the last 12 years. I am semi-retired now due to medical reasons.
    Last edited by JamesCurtis; 04-06-2018 at 11:47 AM.

3D Generalist working in the Washington DC area. I have been with lightwave since version 6. But I was an original Amiga user.

MOTION GRAPHICS/ BROADCAST GRAPHICS/ DESIGN / ILLUSTRATION/ VFX/ GAMES / 3D PRINTING or VR.

We use all to an extent, but majority of work is Illustration/Motion graphics and animation.
    Since we have no budget and we are heavily regulated i have to build ALL our assets from scratch.
    Most of this is OLD work.
    I cannot show yet the more recent stuff.
    Virtual Sets (Lightwave + AE)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Virtualset.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	141059

Name:	Virtualset2.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	141060

Name:	Virtualset3.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	141061
    Illustration (Lightwave + illustrator)

Name:	RockingtheTrademarkH.pdf.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	141062

Name:	OCTO1-03-01.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	697.3 KB 
ID:	141063

Name:	Cars.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	141064

Name:	proposal2b.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	141065

Name:	Page1-Bird.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	141066

Name:	Page5-Hoff.png 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	141067

Name:	Page9-Lammar.png 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	141068

Name:	Page10-Lincoln.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	141069
    3d Printing

Name:	10544360_10152327900567983_6423595050291533140_n.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	141070

Name:	TESL3.PNG 
Views:	59 
Size:	910.1 KB 
ID:	141071

There is also augmented reality work and 360 work but it is in development.
    so we can't show any of these.

I would KILL to be able to do decent character animation in LW. and for it to have more "vector like" drawing tools. Also the NPR tools ain LW are NON intuitive and severely lacking.
    And don't get me started about the text tools.
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 04-06-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Architectural Renderings
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Architectural renderings too !

Just mostly still art now.

Name:	MarsUSASmall.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	141080

Name:	Mars08.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	263.6 KB 
ID:	141081

Name:	Planetfall1999Sm.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	141082
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

building projection shows
    visual backgrounds for theatrical projects

Legal animations for quite a number of years. I've recently struck out on my own and hope to eventually pick up more product work as well.

Mass | Motion
    Last edited by devin; 04-07-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by injacphi View Post
    Tim: Very nice!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pixym View Post
    Tim, Very very nice sample !!!
    Thanks guys. Those are from 2014. I've done thousands more better since.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast