Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What kind of work do you Lightwave for? Tell us about your projects (VFX/GAMES/ etc)

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Chernoby View Post
    I'm a professor. I teach film and animation. Currently I use lightwave for Narrative Animation and VFX. Here's an unpolished scene for a science fantasy film I've been working on that I'll leave up for a few days if interested.

https://youtu.be/Rb4m2DK8BBI

I operated a media production company in the past where I used Lightwave for every kind of commercial work, everything from industrial, corporate, and broadcast spots ranging from live action character compositing to motion graphics.
    Great sound design on that piece. Also, the motion capture? Animation? Superior. One of the things I noticed was the hand as it pressed a key: the way the finger "cammed over" when pressing hard was perfect.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I've used Lightwave for several projects over the last years, as a sporadic freelancer mixed with personal projects. Here's a mix of them (turn down the volume, I still have to put another, less strident, song): https://vimeo.com/95386731

Right now I'm a bit "out" on making new projects, due to another parts of my life taking more relevance. But I want to be back. I have two personal projects that I wish to continue someday...

Lots of stuff. I do technical explainers and how-tos, CGI commercial spots, CGI assets as part of my feature film VFX work. Those are the main ones that come to mind off the bat. I have so much work in the pipeline right now I haven't had time to experiment with LW2018 so I'm still cranking out the work on 2015.3.

The bulk of the tech work is under NDA but here's my YouTube channel where there are some examples of various stuff I can share.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SpinlandStudiosLLC
    Last edited by Spinland; 04-12-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Great sound design on that piece. Also, the motion capture? Animation? Superior. One of the things I noticed was the hand as it pressed a key: the way the finger "cammed over" when pressing hard was perfect.
    Thanks Ma3rk and jeric_synergy.

It is not motion capture. I am utilizing a semi-realist animation style though... a bit more precise/unnatural pose to pose transitions and a bit more still/statuesque during resting periods.

I have aboot 20 min done. Hoping to finish the piece by summer of 2019.
    Break up epic desk sitting sessions with 5-15 min breaks and get your recommended daily dose of fiber.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ProfHotard
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TreetopMedia

I'm a professor. I teach film and animation.
    Cool! I teach computer graphics at SUNY Polytech as a part-time adjunct. My stuff tends to be 800 level electives so I get the luxury of kids who have been through some stuff and who want to be there. I focus on the mathematics and science behind 3D graphics so haven’t (yet) found a good way to get more LW into the lab. I’m still fairly junior faculty but I’m getting more autonomy.

This is a good gig that pays well enough and helps smooth the rollercoaster cash flow of the gig economy.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Quote Originally Posted by Spinland View Post
    Cool! I teach computer graphics at SUNY Polytech as a part-time adjunct. My stuff tends to be 800 level electives so I get the luxury of kids who have been through some stuff and who want to be there. I focus on the mathematics and science behind 3D graphics so haven’t (yet) found a good way to get more LW into the lab. I’m still fairly junior faculty but I’m getting more autonomy.

This is a good gig that pays well enough and helps smooth the rollercoaster cash flow of the gig economy.
    Tis a sweet gig. Unfortunately it is impossible to get LW into the curriculum.
    Break up epic desk sitting sessions with 5-15 min breaks and get your recommended daily dose of fiber.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ProfHotard
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TreetopMedia

Independent for the last couple of years. I use lightwave for generalist work. It is my go to 3d app. My backgound is in advertising primarily in the print arena but I'm doing more work in VFX and Kickstarter projects.
    I've worked in Chicago for an agency for the previous 10 years so most of my sample work is from there.
    I rely on Lightwave for affordable production and rendering as a small studio and independent artist.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	274.6 KB 
ID:	141170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	504.3 KB 
ID:	141179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	141178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	141177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	141180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36.jpg 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	141174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	493.1 KB 
ID:	141173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	541.9 KB 
ID:	141172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	141171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Living_Room_v005b-exposed.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	364.5 KB 
ID:	141175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CASTLE-HORZ-PR.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	141176

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    It is not motion capture. I am utilizing a semi-realist animation style though... a bit more precise/unnatural pose to pose transitions and a bit more still/statuesque during resting periods.
    Even MORE impressive. I was REALLY admiring the hand animation in general.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I mainly get involved with events, product launches, exhibitions and conferences. But sometimes I get asked to do more unusual things, unfortunately not too often these days.
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by nemac4 View Post
    Independent for the last couple of years. I use lightwave for generalist work. It is my go to 3d app. My backgound is in advertising primarily in the print arena but I'm doing more work in VFX and Kickstarter projects.
    I've worked in Chicago for an agency for the previous 10 years so most of my sample work is from there.
    I rely on Lightwave for affordable production and rendering as a small studio and independent artist.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	274.6 KB 
ID:	141170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60.jpg 
Size:	504.3 KB 
ID:	141179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	141178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	141177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	141180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36.jpg 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	141174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	493.1 KB 
ID:	141173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	541.9 KB 
ID:	141172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	141171Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Living_Room_v005b-exposed.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	364.5 KB 
ID:	141175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CASTLE-HORZ-PR.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	141176
    I like your examples very much. Keep up the good work!
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Cool! Nice! Professional!

Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    So tell us:
    * Tell us bit about who you are.

3D Generalist trading under the name albino igil. There are two of us here, both industrial designers by training, but I've spent time in multimedia and games.

* Are you using Lightwave for:
    MOTION GRAPHICS/ BROADCAST GRAPHICS/ DESIGN / ILLUSTRATION/ VFX/ GAMES / 3D PRINTING or VR

All to an extent, but majority of work is Illustration/Arch Viz/Product Viz

* Could you show us some examples of your work?

Interior

Exterior

Game

Product

Visualising in-house Product Design

Illustration

Animation

We're also modelling for AR-ready assets for a developer, but we can't show any of these.

* What would you LIKE to use LW for? What is the limitation?

There's nothing else I'd *like* to use it for, but the limitations are currently being plugged by other packages:

3D Coat for UV Mapping.
    LWCAD to bring Modeler up to scratch.
    Octane for Rendering

Hopefully 2018 will address the rendering short-fall, but UV mapping needs to be addressed seriously, internally, not bolted on. And smoothing groups also need to be sorted out - I have to hand my assets over to a Max guy to fix at the moment.

Modeler I hope gets some serious love - would love to see intelligent CAD/Illustrator like tools, work planes etc.

I just want to work faster. A client's budget is usually a fixed price, and I can give them something more for that price, then we all win
    Curious

I am a rock artist and writer that also have some fun creating film for bread and butter. Sometimes I even try to avoid the main 3D-work I've done through the years for the financial, assembly industry, science or other projects that put food on the table.

I can't say more than that I have a lot of fun when I play around with 3D, sound and VFX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMrQ-89jZFQ
    Curious

Lots of explainers, especially with a scientific theme:

https://vimeo.com/smallislandstudio

Quote Originally Posted by SpawnSP View Post
    I've used Lightwave for several projects over the last years, as a sporadic freelancer mixed with personal projects. Here's a mix of them (turn down the volume, I still have to put another, less strident, song): https://vimeo.com/95386731

Right now I'm a bit "out" on making new projects, due to another parts of my life taking more relevance. But I want to be back. I have two personal projects that I wish to continue someday...
    Some really excellent work there!

LW user since 3.5.. damn I am old... and now I realize the Text tool is as useless as 15 years ago.. do something with it Newtek PLEASE!!! and to have it dynamic to be able to animate it in layout would be dream

Also get in touch with Denis and sort the mess!! we need PDKIT in 2018!

I do mostly graphic design stuff and motion design
    some commercial animation https://vimeo.com/219363236
    some stills (non commercial stuff)

I wanted to step up my 3D game so I started using instagram and try to make at least 3 new renders weekly, check it https://www.instagram.com/danchezdnch/
    Last edited by dnch; 04-18-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123