Thread: 32-Bit Quicktime Support Ending

32-Bit Quicktime Support Ending

So, for a lot of our Tricaster productions we not only stream live, but we record and edit later. We use Adobe's Creative Cloud for our post-production. Is there any news or concern with NewTek staying with QuickTime as the record file format? I keep getting this error when I bring footage into Premiere:

"32-Bit QuickTime support ending. Support for import/export of legacy 32-bit QuickTime media will be discontinued in a future version of Premiere Pro. Transcode to a non-legacy format to continue using the media in Premiere Pro after legacy support has ended.

Thanks,

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by neverends View Post
    So, for a lot of our Tricaster productions we not only stream live, but we record and edit later. We use Adobe's Creative Cloud for our post-production. Is there any news or concern with NewTek staying with QuickTime as the record file format? I keep getting this error when I bring footage into Premiere:

"32-Bit QuickTime support ending. Support for import/export of legacy 32-bit QuickTime media will be discontinued in a future version of Premiere Pro. Transcode to a non-legacy format to continue using the media in Premiere Pro after legacy support has ended.

Thanks,

Doug
    Well, with the latest release, issued two days ago, 32-bit Quicktime support *was* removed, so SpeedHQ is now not recognized in the creative cloud eco system.

Any word on what happens next, or do we now need to transcode everything through ffmpeg?

Adobe Official statement: Quicktime7 Support Dropped
    Last edited by Todd T; 04-05-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd T View Post
    Any word on what happens next, or do we now need to transcode everything through ffmpeg?
    Simple solutions, sadly, do not abound. NewTek is considering how best to deal with this, but there is nothing to announce at this time.

One might simply not update Premiere at this time, but in the long run this will need a better resolution. In the interim, some users will probably need to transcode their recorded files using Export, or a third-party outboard solution.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

On TriCaster AE2 and TC1/VMC1 systems the default recording format for most QuickTime recording is the XDCAM style codec which is supported by Premiere (I even tried it with the new release from a few days ago). There are some video formats that XDCAM doesn't support (like 4K) and in those cases SpeedHQ is used.

FFMPEG, which is what most applications are moving to for video media support as they stop using the Apple QuickTime libraries, does support SpeedHQ.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

With the track record of new Adobe releases typically being quite buggy, many users will hold off installing new updates until the smoke clears and at least the first bug patches come out. There may be some new must-have feature that will drive some users to immediately jump into a new version, otherwise let someone else beta test Premiere and keep using what you have for the time being. And of course keep the QuickTime support you currently have.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Since I was in-between projects, it was an opportune time to take the plunge and upgrade. I had just added the SpeedHQ codec to my laptop for a small project that I wanted to edit natively in Premiere. I was impressed that Media Encoder on the laptop could transcode about twice as fast as the TC8000 that I use.

Thomas TV2
    Why cant the TC record in Mpeg2 as before?

Thomas
    Tricaster 8000 AE2

XDCAM is an MPEG-2 based codec.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thomas TV2
    Ok, but as I remember it on the old TC before AE, it had a option to record in Mpeg 2 without the need for Newteks codec installed on an external editor.
    Or am I wrong?

Thomas
    Tricaster 8000 AE2

You are correct, used to be an option, but not anymore

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

This is crazy.

So what's the new workflow for using Tricaster files in Adobe Premiere?

I tried transcoding them with Media Encoder, Edit Ready, and HandBrake, and none of the recognize Tricaster files even with the codec pack installed on my computer.

I have multiple projects to edit with Tricaster footage, and no way that I know of to use the files!

How could Newtek not have a solution to this?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLock View Post
    This is crazy.

So what's the new workflow for using Tricaster files in Adobe Premiere?

I tried transcoding them with Media Encoder, Edit Ready, and HandBrake, and none of the recognize Tricaster files even with the codec pack installed on my computer.

I have multiple projects to edit with Tricaster footage, and no way that I know of to use the files!

How could Newtek not have a solution to this?
    FFMPEG can read and convert .mov files with SHQ Codec.

I'm shocked that this is a common problem with Newtek which is completely gridlocking so many users workflows. I edit with a Mac running Premiere which is one of the most common NLEs in use today and I can't even import my Tricaster footage to edit. I just spoke with Newtek customer support and "the simple solution" they said, is to re-encode my footage into a codec recognized by Premiere. If I shoot a 4 hour production with 3 isos I have 16 hours of contiguous footage to re-encode. This adds hours to my post production work flow and is a major failure on the part of Newtek.

I have 2 Tricasters running both Standard and Advanced edition software. In my Standard edition I can simply choose to record in 4.2.0 which imports seamlessly into Premiere.

On my Advanced edition Tricaster I have no option to record in 4.2.0 and the footage will not import into Premiere. The upgrade has removed the one function that is crucial to my workflow.

Is it possible to simply enable 4.2.0 recording on the Advanced Edition software?

Quote Originally Posted by leviware View Post
    I'm shocked that this is a common problem with Newtek which is completely gridlocking so many users workflows. I edit with a Mac running Premiere which is one of the most common NLEs in use today and I can't even import my Tricaster footage to edit. I just spoke with Newtek customer support and "the simple solution" they said, is to re-encode my footage into a codec recognized by Premiere. If I shoot a 4 hour production with 3 isos I have 16 hours of contiguous footage to re-encode. This adds hours to my post production work flow and is a major failure on the part of Newtek.

I have 2 Tricasters running both Standard and Advanced edition software. In my Standard edition I can simply choose to record in 4.2.0 which imports seamlessly into Premiere.

On my Advanced edition Tricaster I have no option to record in 4.2.0 and the footage will not import into Premiere. The upgrade has removed the one function that is crucial to my workflow.

Is it possible to simply enable 4.2.0 recording on the Advanced Edition software?
    Here is a link that describes recording formats and compatibility with major NLEs. If you are running current versions of Standard Edition or Advanced Edition 2, almost all formats should import in Premiere v12.1 without issue (just some oddball 720p frame rates do not).

https://www.newtek.com/blog/tips/new...rding-formats/

I also have the list in a PDF format as well.
    NewTek Recording Formats.pdf
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I'm curious if there has been any progress on this with regards to Premiere v13.x. I can't get any files to import natively from our Tricasters (460 Advanced, and a TC1) in 1080i/59.94).

The only solution I have right now is using the export function in the Tricaster, which isn't all that efficient when we're trying to get the recorded media files into Premiere for a bit of packaging magic before upload while a show is still going on.