Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: daz export to lw

daz export to lw

Hi,

anyone know if you can export the posed character in daz?

I got it to export - but it does a t pose which is nice.
    however, i like the pose handles in daz and can get a character posed very quickly.

is it possible to export the pose data (like a saved transform) in daz?
    [url]https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kn21A[/u-- rl]
    fusion https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
    resolve https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

Short answer is yes in fact probably with animation even. Export out as a FBX then import that into Layout. Don't know if there are significant changes with 2018 but would think it should still be fine. Search youtube on the topic as there is (or was) one little quirk that's pretty easy to fix with an additonal bone.

There'll be others with more experience with the process chiming in on the topic I'm sure.

There's no direct way to export everything that we like about a DAZ/Poser character into Lightwave. The comprehensive way to do it is to export the character in the T-Pose, and rig them with bones in Layout. For facial expressions and other morphs, you need to export each expression, each morph, into a separate OBJ file, then use the Background to Morph tool in Modeler to create that morph in the Motion Mixer. \

Depending the the character, it can be a tremendous amount of work, which is why I animate in Poser then bring the character geometry, textures, and animation data into Lightwave via PoserFusion.

Good Luck,

Just export out to fbx format, you can pose it which ever way you like in daz and get the pose in to lightwave with fbx, and same with animation..creating a time line animation with daz posing changes, and export to lightwave and the animation should be there.
    upon export you will have to make sure what do export, animation, morphs etc.
    figures, morphs and animation is good to always have checked, export to fbx 2012 ascii is what I mostly used.
    Lightwave 2015 and daz 4.9
    Lightwave 2018 had some initial issues first, but it was fixed, later daz versions...donīt know.
    you always have to readjust surfaces though, especially glossiness and transparency, the lashes transparency map it always fail to load, so that is manual work.

Ik booster works on top of daz figures, so if you have set a specific pose with daz controls, you can manually start from that in lightwave and add ikbooster for getting similar controls in lightwave if you need to change pose or animate it, Ik booster can do booth IK an FK.

Edit..disregard my advice on exporting animations if you only want a static pose to start with in lightwave, if you check export animations, you will end up with keyframes on every channel for the character, so that would require deleting them all in lightwave first if you want to do your own ik booster animations.

just noted, previous with lw 2018.01 ...there was an issue of when importing the fbx, lightwave seemed to have added two set of bones in the modifier stack, making it all distorted, and if you removed one of those bone modifiers, it was corrected.
    In 2018.02, I just discovered that it seems you have two duplicate set of bones in the imported figure, I need to check what is going on here...if it is lightwave or daz.

Test with genesis 8 figure.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    just noted, previous with lw 2018.01 ...there was an issue of when importing the fbx, lightwave seemed to have added two set of bones in the modifier stack, making it all distorted, and if you removed one of those bone modifiers, it was corrected.
    In 2018.02, I just discovered that it seems you have two duplicate set of bones in the imported figure, I need to check what is going on here...if it is lightwave or daz.

Test with genesis 8 figure.
    Checked, it is the same within 2015, my exported genesis 8 figure gets a double set of upper bones, will have to track that down if itīs something special with that figure, or if it is the export settings that got messed up, so most likely not a Lightwave issue.

If you just want a specific pose of the character, export as obj to LW.
    Select the LW preset, under write groups I use surface names, and write surfaces I write material library and use collect maps
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    If you just want a specific pose of the character, export as obj to LW.
    Select the LW preset, under write groups I use surface names, and write surfaces I write material library and use collect maps
    It assumes the pose never will be changed, as obj, it doesnīt contain bones..Iīd vote mostly for fbx, but then again as you say, if the pose is determined for good, use obj and donīt ever plan to change the pose.

There is a way to export DAZ character and all of its expression to Lightwave as FBX. I would highly recommend getting the Ryan Daz3d to lightwave Mocap plugin from www.liberty3d.com
    It will come with a video tutorial on how to prepare a model for Lightwave. The plugin however is specifically fully support Genesis 2 model but will work in some cases with Genesis and genesis 3

thanks for all the answers.
    My tinkering with daz and lightwave yielded the following

importing an fbx by just hitting load gave me a t-posed stance of the character with no morphs.
    selecting import in layout gave me a completley different result - importing the bones and snapping the character to the posed daz layout. However, the bones were all wonky and didn't overlay exactly.

I tried obj export, and low an behold, it loaded in the pose that i had in daz, again with no morphs.

but the make your own morphs using the poses would work well enough.

the fbx import bone layout yielded super large hands for some reason, and some distortion in the feet as well.
    I would rather use genoma on the character and get a rig that way than importing the crappy one from daz.

Overall though, the OBJ export in the pose i want works perfectly for me as i'm not doing animation with the character, i just need them posed.
    this way i can just pose it in daz, export as an obj and bring it into lw as a statue. DO some slight resurfacing and done.

Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    thanks for all the answers.
    My tinkering with daz and lightwave yielded the following

importing an fbx by just hitting load gave me a t-posed stance of the character with no morphs.
    selecting import in layout gave me a completley different result - importing the bones and snapping the character to the posed daz layout. However, the bones were all wonky and didn't overlay exactly.

I tried obj export, and low an behold, it loaded in the pose that i had in daz, again with no morphs.

but the make your own morphs using the poses would work well enough.

the fbx import bone layout yielded super large hands for some reason, and some distortion in the feet as well.
    I would rather use genoma on the character and get a rig that way than importing the crappy one from daz.

Overall though, the OBJ export in the pose i want works perfectly for me as i'm not doing animation with the character, i just need them posed.
    this way i can just pose it in daz, export as an obj and bring it into lw as a statue. DO some slight resurfacing and done.
    I understand obj may be all you need since no animation is require, but may I ask you what daz figure you commonly want to export?
    fbx is great and works with poses and morphs, If you use genesis figures only, if you use other characters..you may have issues.

Vonpietro
    I have loaded a genesis 3 obj with a facegen morph into Lightwave. Textured it , lighted it and rendered it. Added postwork. Pretty simple
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lindsay_by_eraldegold-dc6indh.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	140912  

Quote Originally Posted by grafxstudio View Post
    Vonpietro
    I have loaded a genesis 3 obj with a facegen morph into Lightwave. Textured it , lighted it and rendered it. Added postwork. Pretty simple
    I noticed that genesis 3 in one pose I tested, the bones where not accurately following the mesh, and with another pose..it was perfectly following the mesh, so I reckon it may have to do with what kind of pose it is, and how it was created.

Your image is nice by the way, looks more like illustrated than actually 3d rendered.

my character was a lizard man.

Have a question, it might be off topic but how do you add makeup to Genesis character when the images are individual? Like blush, lipstick and eyeliner?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast