Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krita 4 is out!

Krita 4 is out!

A major release with major new features and improvements: improved vector tools, SVG support, a new text tool, Python scripting and much, much, much more!

Amazing this is open source and free! Get it here: https://krita.org/en/item/krita-4-0-0-released/

New features include...
    multi-threaded brushes
    New Text Tool
    Improved Vector Tools based on SVG
    Python Scripting
    Improved brush settings dialog
    Colorize Mask
    New Filters: Height to Normal map, Edge Detection, improved gradient map,
    Improved helpers (isometric grid, pixel grid)
    Bigger brushes
    Saving in background
    Masked brushes
    Wet edges
    Shape Library
    A Ton of Fixes
    And much much more
    Last edited by Rayek; 03-22-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Looks interesting. I've never worked with SVG. Can LW import SVG?

So good . . . I have been using it for awhile, and donate periodically to support this fine Open Source program. Closest thing to a 'fine art tools" studio, very different paradigm than "Photo****" Highly recommend people give it a try, support the development, complements Lightwave with beautiful assets.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    No not natively, splotchdog has a free plugin for importing it, but it can not make autodrill cutouts as you can when importing eps files.
    Inkscape is what you would like to work with for svg format though, unless tracking something or converting a bitmap really, Inkscape is also free.

Now..svg I feel is a bit superior, and if you use blender ..then you can take full advantage of the svg format, meaning you can load a path and have the bezier control handles available, which isnīt possible with eps format ..and in lightwave, the splotchdog plugin doesnt allow for that either, so blender for that full advantage, you can also turn any of those svg paths in to full 3d mesh when activating bevel on it.

Svg import for lightwave..(be aware of the limits for lightwave, blender is however taking full advantage of svg..and then you can export to lightwave)
    http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?...=54&Itemid=169

He also has an Svg Export, but it works only to export in layout I think, so with that you can make any object (flat that is) or curves and export to SVG format and use Fusion (which has svg import..not eps) and make hud effects but with the help of lightwave for shape repeating patterns etc.

SVG export for lightwave..
    http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?...=55&Itemid=170

Quote Originally Posted by paulhart View Post
    So good . . . I have been using it for awhile, and donate periodically to support this fine Open Source program. Closest thing to a 'fine art tools" studio, very different paradigm than "Photo****" Highly recommend people give it a try, support the development, complements Lightwave with beautiful assets.
    I am using it at work for photo retouching, itīs a bit different when it comes to working with paths, but once you know them, they are quite nice to edit for making mask before a cut out.

The text tool in the previous version was really horrible compared to photoshop, so I will have a look soon how this have improved.
    Another thing with krita was that it could be slow with large images and take up a lot of memory.

But otherwise, really lovely to paint with.

Many Thanks Rayek for the heads up, will try it during upcoming weekend.

Nice! I was at their site a couple of days ago to see if there was any updates and then it was nothing new. Must download it tomorrow at work. I love using for sketches and concepts.

The performance jumped up dramatically for me due to the new multi-threaded brushes. And the new masked (stacked) brush feature is brilliant - that was really the only essential thing missing in Krita's brush engine. Opens up a whole new world of brush variants.

I have supported the Krita devs financially since version 2. I haven't been disappointed. It's funny how some open source projects may out-perform the professional commercial alternatives - Krita is one of those examples.

The new height-based normal map fliter is handy as well.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    The text tool in the previous version was really horrible compared to photoshop, so I will have a look soon how this have improved.
    Another thing with krita was that it could be slow with large images and take up a lot of memory.
    The new text tool is an improvement, although doesn't support on-canvas editing - which is a shame, in my opinion.

What I do like is how the text can be saved and loaded externally, and it is relatively simple to format text nicely now.

It's at least in a usable state now, compared to the previous implementation. And it is nice to be able to edit/copy the SVG code directly.

The one issue I encountered is that the text edit dialog won't stay in front of the main Krita window, which is odd and frustrating.

For now I'll stick to PhotoLine for my text editing and layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    That's the one thing I miss from virtually all other graphics editors. Someone needs to sort that out. Surely someone should be able to edit text in psds and save it back out again?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    That's the one thing I miss from virtually all other graphics editors. Someone needs to sort that out. Surely someone should be able to edit text in psds and save it back out again?
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Red face Performance

Thanks Rayek!!!

The performance is a lot better than previous versions.
    It becomes slow with a lot of layers (specially when the layer filters redraw) but we can import files...

I recommend to look some videos of David Leroy, Sara Tepes and GDquest in Youtube.

Chao

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    Photoshop's PSD format specification is hardly usable, and Adobe decided long ago to leave the format's details up to the imagination of the aspiring developer. PhotoLine reads PSD files with text, but doesn't save text layers. Same for just about any other image editor out there. Affinity Photo still doesn't support this either, I believe.

PSD is a proprietary file format - that's the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    Donīt be fooled here, I was...with the statement of ..."Improved Vector Tools based on SVG
    "

it doesnīt allow for exporting out SVG, it can create vectors and modifiy vectors based on SVG
    So there is just a loader for svg, not exporter...
    Tested workflow, doesnīt seem to be a direct import of svg, meaning you might have to load the svg as a seperate image document, the copy that vector and paste back to another image you are working on.
    but creating an svg path with special dedicated colours outline and loading and pasting...

it works nicely, if I havenīt missed it, they nee a direct import to canvas.
    Edited, it works to drag and drop the svg file on to krita canvas and import as new layer on top of whatever document you have, for 3d work it is of little use though since you can not export to svg, you have to use inkscape directly.
    I can also not se a way to edit the the imported svg, thereīs a convert to path button but it doesnīt seem to work, note that I just installed krita and I may find a way soon.

AS for the new text tools...whoa, what on earth were they thinking of?
    It looks worse than the previous one, the earlier version worked On canvas, this one you have to enter the edit tab and open and edit each time, and the save before you see the text result on canvas, then you can not change the text directly in canvas without going through the edit hops again.

Improvements, it needs to work like photoshop text layers.
    Dont like that, it is Way behind photoshop for text layers.

Unfortunately krita installs and removes the old version...I couldnīt uncheck the box for remove old krita versions.

Regarding svg editing in Krita..

Thanks to great fast support on the krita forums from boudewijn and therahedwig, I got information about grouping first, so you have to select the imported svg shape, with select shapes tool, click on the shape so you have it selected with transform options, then righ mouse click and choose ungroup, directly after that you click on the edit shapes tool, and you should now have an editable svg file in krita with handles, make sure you have the tools option panel open so you can change curve options like symmetry, smooth curves , remove or insert points etc.

And more..the workaround for Krita not having an option to export svg, that is to simply copy your shape in krita and paste it in to inkscape, from there you can save svg and import to blender..further on if you want it to lightwave, export from blender as obj.

so you can paint with normal brushes a form, or trace an image, then use some selection tools on that painted or traced image then convert it to shapes, then just copy the shape and paste in to inkscape.
    colors from the shape in krita will transcend over to inkscape, same with strokes and fill, what you may want to do in inkscape though, that is to simplify the path..it can be dense with points that describes the shape, so do that before exporting to blender.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    And more..the workaround for Krita not having an option to export svg, that is to simply copy your shape in krita and paste it in to inkscape, from there you can save svg and import to blender..further on if you want it to lightwave, export from blender as obj.

so you can paint with normal brushes a form, or trace an image, then use some selection tools on that painted or traced image then convert it to shapes, then just copy the shape and paste in to inkscape.
    colors from the shape in krita will transcend over to inkscape, same with strokes and fill, what you may want to do in inkscape though, that is to simplify the path..it can be dense with points that describes the shape, so do that before exporting to blender.
    You can export svg from krita. make a vector layer and go to the layer menu import/export layer -> save layer as svg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast