Thread: Trying to upgrade a PTZOptics camera to NDI to firmware - no luck

Trying to upgrade a PTZOptics camera to NDI to firmware - no luck

I have a PTZ Optics camera and paid for the NewTek provided software update to enable it to support NDI but so far have not gotten it to work.

Newtek's Studio Monitor, which is supposed to run the update process, starts to run on my PC and crashes right away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 2.48.15 PM.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	140721

I've tried all sorts of ways to reinstall. The system is a Sandy Bridge 3ghz i5 running the latest Windows 10 with memory and disk space.

I've reached out to Newtek support. No help.

It rather sounds like the initial problem is running the Studio Monitor application on your computer. SM can be intolerant of older graphics cards. There are some threads on this here, might help (the forum search mechanism sucks, I'd just use Google).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Might help to know what kind of computer and model graphics card is on the system in question. Do you have another PC you can run it on?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

How did you start the NDI upgrade process? Did you go through the PTZOptics Website and team?
    I'm asking because there's a very specific and detailed firmware upgrade process that needs to happen on the PTZOptics camera before you can try to upgrade it to NDI.
    Even after that, there are quite a few issues. We've had to send ours in for repair after the NDI upgrade (which initially worked) made it inaccessible.

Did an upgrade today on one of my PTZoptics Gen2 cameras to NDI. Seems you have to follow the step by step instructions carefully and make sure you use the latest IP tools supplied by PTZOptics. The upgrade seemed to go very smoothy and I am able to see and control the camera thru the PTZOptics software and thru Newtek NDI Studio monitor but my TC460 does not find it as an ndi source. Tried several reboots and cable change-outs. Working to resolve tomorrow AM with PTZoptics. Will see how it goes. Never easy
    Greg
    Pirate Moon Productions
    Tricaster 460 AE2 w/460 Control Surface
    Sony PXW-x70 (2) / Sony a6000 (2)
    PTZOptics 12x-sdi/ndi (2) / PTZOptics 20x-Sdi
    Adobe CC
    Audio ~ Midas M32

Did you remember to install the HX driver your TC?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Did you remember to install the HX driver your TC?
    I asked an was told by ptz optics support that I need to load onto camera only and not tricaster.
    Makes more sense that it needs to be on TC ....!
    Thanks Steve, will give it a try in the am.. Best
    Greg
    Pirate Moon Productions
    Tricaster 460 AE2 w/460 Control Surface
    Sony PXW-x70 (2) / Sony a6000 (2)
    PTZOptics 12x-sdi/ndi (2) / PTZOptics 20x-Sdi
    Adobe CC
    Audio ~ Midas M32

Quote Originally Posted by Flegz View Post
    I asked an was told by ptz optics support that I need to load onto camera only and not tricaster.
    Makes more sense that it needs to be on TC ....!
    Thanks Steve, will give it a try in the am.. Best
    I'm sure they meant that the NDI version firmware needed to be installed on the camera. TriCaster (and any other system you want to view the NDI|HX output on) definitely needs the HX driver for Windows to be installed on it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

This threw me too. You will have better luck if the machine has a newer discrete GPU. I had to try several machines to find one that would work. Studio Monitor requires a fairly new GPU for its shaders or it will crash on start. Many embedded graphics will not work. Make sure the drivers are loaded for a discrete GPU. It will crash if you try to run in a VM or Parallels on a Mac since virtual machines do not support GPU shaders.

EDIT: I'm sure Sandy Bridge is too old to be supported. That processor is 7 years old. It probably needs to support at least DirectX 11.

If NewTek is listening: It would be nice if Studio Monitor displayed better error messages instead of crashing if shaders can't load. Even better would be to disable video monitoring in this scenario if you only want to use Studio Monitor for licensing.
    Last edited by E Summers; 04-05-2018 at 09:18 PM.