Thread: Help with .xml and LiveText

Help with .xml and LiveText

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction if it's not. We recently got the Tricaster 410 and upgraded to the NDI package. Our primary use is for baseball game production. We're using LiveText to create lower thirds and scorebugs.

We are currently getting the score, innings, balls, strikes and outs from the AllSport5000. We no longer need help getting the score.

What we’re hoping to accomplish is linking other information from the AllSport to information provided in an .xml document. The .xml documents (the ones that I sent you) are provided from our sports information guys. They hold all of the statistics for the players. One of the .xml files shows current game stats, and the other .xml file shows season stats.

Here’s an example, the AllSport can display current batter - let’s say #6 is up to bat. We have a lower third graphic that has text fields for in-game and season stats. In this case #6 from the AllSport would be the identifier and the based on that identifier, the text fields would be populated by the .xml files. Does that make sense?

I believe in the .xml files that I sent you, “uni” is the uniform number. So in the example above, we need the lower third to look at the data coming in for current batter (#6) and then search the .xml documents for something like uni=“6”, and then get the relevant information tied to uni=“6” (batting average, on-base percentage, hits, etc.). Ii’m doing this from memory so I may be a little off on the syntax, but I’m just trying to explain.

All of the information is there…we just need help with the structure of the variables to link everything together.

Thanks in advance!

DataLink doesn't really work this way. There isn't any querying and pulling data from fields like that. It will just make variables for all of the data you currently have pushed into the system. So if you need it so do what you are looking for, you need something working as a front end which will push in the data to DataLink as requested.

There might be some sports packages that can do this. Here a few off the top of my head, you can check them out to see if they can do what you are looking for.
    www.suitecg.com
    www.graphicoutfitters.com
    www.ajtsystems.com

I've also have a free web app that might work to some degree for you. You can load in a spreadsheet of data, select the line of data you want and push it into DataLink fields on the TriCaster. There is a video that shows how it works at the link.
    http://kanelp7.wixsite.com/kanesworld/spreadsheeet
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

DataLink on current TriCasters (not LT, as far as I know) can read keys and values from xml does in its watch folder. There might be some possibilities there.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

You will want my CGStatLink- Baseball program at suitecg.com. It will read the StatCrew XML file. Those files are far too complex for the basic key=value pairings that LiveText will read. Check it out here: https://suitecg.com/cgstatlink-lite-baseballsoftball/
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

Thanks for the replies! I'll take a look at the suggestions

Just to clarify, External Livetext cant read Data Link from any sources but the internal version can?

I noticed when I downloaded External Livetext to my machine it brought up a Data Link manager type of application.

On another note, I used Kane's app for baseball lower 3rd last season and it worked great.

You can PM me and I can get you a sample copy of the spreadhseet we created.
    Last edited by Radio_TVPat1982; 03-20-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    Just to clarify, External Livetext cant read Data Link from any sources but the internal version can?
    Depending on version, TriCaster/VMC1 can watch files for DataLink pairs in ascii text, CSV and XML files. As I recall, LiveText can only watch ascii text files.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

So here is my idea. Steve or anyone else please let me know if this is not possible......

At a University I work for we do not have an Allsport CG in our baseball box. I do however have an external copy of Livetext and I will using LT Scoreboards for all score controls.

I plan to use a combo of both the internal LT and external. With the external doing anything score related since its generated off LT scoreboards.

Anything spreadsheet related I plan to use the internal version. Lower 3rds mostly ran on AE through my MINI.

This also serves a second purpose. I would like to have a double channel system but since LT is single channel using both the internal and external should work well for me I think......

I should be able to create simple macros to take shots and clear the DSK layers when needed. So a lower 3rd can be removed with a camera cut.

As for the original post. I think this could all be done through the Tricaster as long as you use something like Kane's app. The only draw back is that you cant use multiple sheets to link to So you can create a different sheet for home and away teams.

Side question, for the newer machines does like panel link to Datalink? I watched to sports Webinar a few days ago and that software looks really cool!

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    If it was me, I would design the scorebug to be rectangle and then place it on an M/E. Because you have a MINI AE, you would make this M/E a 2 Layer Effect (Max MINI can do). Now if you want to combine a Title Template in a Buffer on Layer B and LiveText on Layer A, you can combine two levels of filling fields on the scorebug. This leaves the M/E's Key 1 and Key 2 open. Assign them to two separate Title Templates on two other Buffers or a NDI feed from NDI Scanconverter from a Laptop. Now you have a four channel Scorebug but the final step in this design, is to choose the M/E in DSK1. The transparency does not transfer with the M/E be design so that is why I opened with a rectangular design because you will need to use the DSK Edge settings to crop out the top, bottom, left and right.
    Power housing this would be to make a macro to change the Edge settings to reveal a "popup" above/below, the Scorebug of the Key layer. Heck they can even come from the sides if you leave enough space on the Scorebug.

Have fun,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I'm not saying a single thing about keeping your eyes open at NAB ... not gonna do it, don't even ask. Nope, nyet, nein, et encore 'non'.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Hahah I'm hopeful as I have had to do what I typed out a few times for clients and would rather do it another way
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster