Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 post-charter discount

Its UI and workflow aren't that bad, better than missing features lol

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    Its UI and workflow aren't that bad, better than missing features lol
    It actually have some really nice workflows compared to LW, if you just take the time to learn it. But Lw also have some really nice workflows that blender lacks. As with all software there is no perfect one.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    Blenders upgrade pricing is pretty good, Especially if you stay current.
    This Blender back and forth is OT for this thread, right? Right.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Except that's not how contracts work.
    I seriously doubt anyone offering comments in a forum thought of themselves as drawing up the the terms of a contract; they were just answering questions as best they could. Even setting aside that they weren't writing in 'legalese', their individual responses cold hardly be considered exhaustive' clearly such comments need to be carefully considered in their original context to derive what was actually meant, which, as I wrote, is a regrettably messy process.

This said, as far as I know NewTek continues to try to sort this out, down to working with people on an individual basis where that seems to be necessary. In each instance that I have had any (minor) involvement in to date, at least, where the individual was actually wanting to purchase and not simply trying to make a point, the matter was resolved satisfactorily on all sides.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    This Blender back and forth is OT for this thread, right? Right.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie
    This said, as far as I know NewTek continues to try to sort this out, down to working with people on an individual basis where that seems to be necessary. In each instance that I have had any (minor) involvement in to date, at least, where the individual was actually wanting to purchase and not simply trying to make a point, the matter was resolved satisfactorily on all sides.
    Good to know. So hopefully when I have time to evaluate 2018 properly and if I feel that I want to upgrade, I can be quite sure that I will get my upgrade for what I felt I was promised (or close to) when I bought 2015. If I was completly sure I wanted to upgrade I would just buy it now when it is cheap. But the silence got me scared of being too dependent on one piece of software so I just have to evaluate other apps and it takes some time.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Good to know. So hopefully when I have time to evaluate 2018 properly and if I feel that I want to upgrade, I can be quite sure that I will get my upgrade for what I felt I was promised (or close to) when I bought 2015.
    I can't make any promises, but being totally candid on a personal level - three months doesn't seem like an unreasonable eval period, esp. when the price is what it is (for most people, granting that there are some in special circumstances where the expenditure is a real problem).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    To be clear, NT will not be honoring the promises made by Rob Powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    In practical terms, some licenses were upgraded under offers that will still allow upgrade at $295 after March 31st,
    Did you have some other promise in mind than the special offer allowing some licenses to purchase upgrades at $295 after the introductory offer ends?
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Some notes:

"HC" is short for Hardcore, for those who don't remember that abbreviation. That refers to both Charter and Post-Charter memberships, so saying that an HC license will revert to whatever terms it is entitled to means that both classes of license with revert to their Charter or Post-Charter appropriate pricing.

"with any other special terms for which a specific license may be eligible accounted for" means exactly things such as the special offer on upgrading to 2015 that gets future pricing of $295 on upgrades going forward as long as you do not skip an upgrade. Any special terms that you are eligible for you will get. Those of you stating that NewTek is not honoring previous terms are quite simply not correct about that.

We stated on several occasions that this introductory special did not in any way interfere with any entitlements anyone has under previous special purchases; it just allowed a lot of folks who did not have such terms to buy this upgrade at a great discount for a limited time.
    Last edited by Chuck; 03-19-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Chuck Baker
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Sigh. Im not sure whether its just people here being deliberately obtuse or trying to find wiggle room to give NT the out here but i dont see the terms being any more clear here. To answer the question, yes there was an official announcement when the promotion of the 2015 discount first went into effect detailing the pricing terms but that page has long since been removed. Surely NT must keep records of such things.

But even pointing to the links i provided, they all point to a promotion for people to get current to the latest version of LW (2015) so that when LW Next was released you would be eligible for 295 upgrades as long as you remained current. In not one of those links will you find any mention of a limited time to take advantage of the $295 upgrade price.
    And the "limited time introductory offer" essentially doesn't apply to the folks who purchased under those terms. It applies only to the people who didn't have such special terms. The registration system is aware when a license has special terms, and the sales staff will always work with the customer to ensure that any special offer terms the customer is entitled to, they will get. We've explained this plenty of times, in plenty of ways, and we'll keep repeating it, in new words if we have to, until everyone understands it.
    Chuck Baker
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn

Thanks for the clarity Chuck...

So the old promises stand.
    See how that works....simple. This was clear from the start until people started blindly assuming time limits and or Newteks right to back out of their promises because of financial issues or even inflation

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    OK, I'm bookmarking this thread because... yikes.

As long as my HC/Charter thingy still works, I think it's a wash, right? Dollar-wise?

And as ever: Saint Chuck, thank you for your patience. It can't be easy.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 03-19-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Did you have some other promise in mind than the special offer allowing some licenses to purchase upgrades at $295 after the introductory offer ends?
    In response to this particular quote where you were responding to Djwaterman, yes, its not just anyone who bought under offers that still allow upgrades at 295 after March 31st, its also people who were already 2015 owners by that point. Which is where I fall.

Which Rob Clearly says in this post: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1445991 "If you have upgraded to 2015 or if you take advantage of this current promo to get current with 2015 then you will receive $295 for all future upgrades of LightWave. "
    Last edited by hrgiger; 03-19-2018 at 12:57 PM.

I'm glad I've already upgraded...
    There needs to be a pricing chart put on the website I think.
    Mac Pro
    3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
    32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
    1TB PCIe-based SSD
    Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Quote Originally Posted by Schwyhart View Post
    There needs to be a pricing chart put on the website I think.
    Unless you're referring to a pricing chart for options of perpetual licenses and subscriptions, I would disagree with posting more pricing details... beyond what is already displayed on the web site.

The pricing discussed in this thread is for existing users who have already been advised of pricing. As Steve & Chuck have stated, they can work out those details with Customer Service if the online store pricing disagrees with what they were promised.

Advertising special discount pricing for select groups from the web page could be discouraging and confusing to the majority of purchasers.

This is why permanent pricing is absurd to be offered by a vendor and absurd to be counted on by a consumer: http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/1908-1914.htm
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Unless you're referring to a pricing chart for options of perpetual licenses and subscriptions, I would disagree with posting more pricing details... beyond what is already displayed on the web site.

The pricing discussed in this thread is for existing users who have already been advised of pricing. As Steve & Chuck have stated, they can work out those details with Customer Service if the online store pricing disagrees with what they were promised.

Advertising special discount pricing for select groups from the web page could be discouraging and confusing to the majority of purchasers.

This is why permanent pricing is absurd to be offered by a vendor and absurd to be counted on by a consumer: http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/1908-1914.htm
    Agreed, there's no value in trying to list all the special upgrade pricing cases, etc. on the main advertising page. It'll just confuse potential customers to no end, and generally aren't even relevant for them. It should clearly list what the estimated upgrade price for new licenses going forward (because it impacts TCO, and potential customers do often want some idea of what upgrades will cost), but should also state that's an estimated future upgrade cost and subject to modification.

Existing customers should already have accounts with customized upgrade handling (which could easily include a "If this upgrade price isn't what you expected, please contact Newtek Customer Support", if it doesn't already say that).
    Last edited by jwiede; 03-19-2018 at 08:43 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

the system knows who is entitled to discount then why you send me email stating i'm losing special price?

I notice fewer people everytime. just making observations.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast