Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 3D Modeler Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Nilsson View Post
    I hope NT realizes the most used area is Arch-viz because LW at its current state simply isn't that great for game dev and it needs to be improved for that area.
    ..and GRAPHIC DESIGN
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

I hope NT realizes the most used area is Arch-viz because LW at its current state simply isn't that great for game dev and it needs to be improved for that area.
    The pdf mentions that significant growth in games representation is our goal. The team is aware that development is required for that.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I must say, I am a bit surprised, about the survey comment from newtek..where they say they were surprised about blender being so much used as a companion, and with that they didnīt get my vote in the survey that I also have it as companion more and more, from the survey....
    This is the first time we've gathered the data in a structured way, we're not surprised that Blender is used as a companion modeler, but that nearly a full quarter of people use it alongside Modeler for their work.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus
    So I am a bit Baffled that it somehow have escaped Newtek how much blender now is used as "third party" to lightwave, and that they Actually are surprised
    I do hope they didnīt sat chained with blindfolds aiming only at lightwave code without the option to check other software
    Ah, it never escaped us and we're not wearing blindfolds, but what we have now that we didn't have before is actual numbers rather than just a 'feeling'
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Several members of the team have worked extensively in Modeler, even during times when we've nominally had a team member mostly dedicated to Modeler.
    Doesn't feel that way Chuck. It drastically needs a rewrite from the ground up. And don't get me started on those Sequence tools added half arsed. Thicken is truly outstanding but the others range from average at best to dreadful. I'm sure there was a lot of hard work put into them and I don't mean to downplay anyone's effort and to be fair I'm sure they were added as more of a stop gap effort until Layout was properly refactored to use modeling tools. But it also seems pretty clear now - Modeler and Layout will forever be separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Doesn't feel that way Chuck. It drastically needs a rewrite from the ground up. And don't get me started on those Sequence tools added half arsed. Thicken is truly outstanding but the others range from average at best to dreadful. I'm sure there was a lot of hard work put into them and I don't mean to downplay anyone's effort and to be fair I'm sure they were added as more of a stop gap effort until Layout was properly refactored to use modeling tools. But it also seems pretty clear now - Modeler and Layout will forever be separate.
    It sounds like you'd have some great ideas on how those tools could be improved, we're always open to feature requests and constructive suggestions!
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

LightWave 2018.5 is going to be INSANE!
    I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by jameswillmott View Post
    It sounds like you'd have some great ideas on how those tools could be improved, we're always open to feature requests and constructive suggestions!
    Well James it's really just simple stuff. Take the Transform tool - the handles are darn nigh impossible to grab. On a 1m cube it's usable. On a 1mm cube - forget it. Also the contrast in colors on a mouse over is not great enough it's hard to tell if you've moused over it(which BTW should be user controlled). Here is a video I did awhile back on its issues - which still applies to the latest version for the most part.

Well James it's really just simple stuff. Take the Transform tool - the handles are darn nigh impossible to grab. On a 1m cube it's usable. On a 1mm cube - forget it. Also the contrast in colors on a mouse over is not great enough it's hard to tell if you've moused over it(which BTW should be user controlled). Here is a video I did awhile back on its issues - which still applies to the latest version for the most part.
    This sort of thing is perfect, we can't fix it if we don't know about it!

Is there a bug report on this issue?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Question

Well, that's a conundrum:
    plump up the area where the software ISN'T being used, in the HOPE that it will acquire market share going head to head against established apps and workflows,
    OR:
    concentrate on the existing strengths.

Looking at the survey results is a bit puzzling: LWM is NOT being used for game work (statistically), but the biggest concern is UV export for gaming engines? Are the arch/cad people, who apparently are the bulk of users, so satisfied they didn't have a wish list???
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Well James it's really just simple stuff. Take the Transform tool - the handles are darn nigh impossible to grab. On a 1m cube it's usable. On a 1mm cube - forget it
    Good response.

I think jweide could use the technical terms, but this is indicative to what I call an "inadequate test set". Someone in alpha testing probably never happened to move a VARIETY of different sizes. Another such is the several areas in which the LW/LWM UI falls apart when faced with slightly longer than usual FILE NAME, ---c'monnn.

I don't know if there's a specific body of objects, formats, etc that each tool MUST be checked against before passing QC, but it seems there should be. All the extreme cases should be there (NO polygons, 20K Surface names, all symbol file names, real crazy stuff).
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Few basic things should be created anew in the beginning:
    - import FBX normals smoothing
    - symmetry (in all axis)
    - mirror tool (in angles)
    - live booleans
    - rounder
    - snapping
    - UV tools (at least good as PLG tools)
    - pop up UV window with tools (i work on three monitors... it would help)
    - better background image workflow
    - default material in Modeler as principled BSDF not help in modeling (make default material possible to change in general options)
    - option autoreload textures (now need by hand after every change in PS for example)

Then few extra things:
    - normals based on vertices
    - retopology tools
    - mesh reduction
    - keep newest FBX version every LW release
    - Ambient Occlusion in perspective view
    - etc...

And if you think about game dev please correct one thing with Surface Baking Camera in Layout. Antialiasing and UV Bordes cause white pixels on uv borders.
    Last edited by MarcusM; 04-03-2018 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Well, that's a conundrum:
    plump up the area where the software ISN'T being used, in the HOPE that it will acquire market share going head to head against established apps and workflows,
    OR:
    concentrate on the existing strengths.

Looking at the survey results is a bit puzzling: LWM is NOT being used for game work (statistically), but the biggest concern is UV export for gaming engines? Are the arch/cad people, who apparently are the bulk of users, so satisfied they didn't have a wish list???
    One way to look at the results is that people WANT better export for game engines so they CAN use LW for gaming more.

Also, a lot of archviz is now done using game engines, it's quite a thriving niche according to the ChaosGroup's archviz survey, so maybe archviz people want better UV support for Unity/Unreal?

I can only speak for myself ... but for two of the companies at which I've been employed during the past few years (in VFX & interactive media), CG models -- whether they are built in LW, Modo, 3DSmax, Maya, etc -- have to be able to cross between any of those platforms, and may also often wind-up being used within Unity or Unreal for VR/AR applications ... and/or sent to texture artists who will paint those models in Substance, or similar software.

Thus, UVs -- good, clean, and organized UVs -- are a must.

I often just port my LW models to Modo or 3DSmax, at that stage .. but it would be nice to at least have better tools for creating & editing UVs within Lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswillmott View Post
    One way to look at the results is that people WANT better export for game engines so they CAN use LW for gaming more.

Also, a lot of archviz is now done using game engines, it's quite a thriving niche according to the ChaosGroup's archviz survey, so maybe archviz people want better UV support for Unity/Unreal?
    yes we do, (i use for archviz and VR) so many times you get the "Lightmap error overlapping by more than 50%"
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Good response.

I think jweide could use the technical terms, but this is indicative to what I call an "inadequate test set". Someone in alpha testing probably never happened to move a VARIETY of different sizes. Another such is the several areas in which the LW/LWM UI falls apart when faced with slightly longer than usual FILE NAME, ---c'monnn.

I don't know if there's a specific body of objects, formats, etc that each tool MUST be checked against before passing QC, but it seems there should be. All the extreme cases should be there (NO polygons, 20K Surface names, all symbol file names, real crazy stuff).
    Exactly! I'm sure there is always something that gets missed but the Transformed tool has sucked now for 3 versions. How hard is it to just goof around with a tool and see if it holds up - not hard at all. I honestly think LW includes too many expert users as beta testers - granted you wouldn't want newbies testing but there is no need to just have the guys making the high profile stuff either.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast