Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 3D Modeler Survey

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    My needs...
    I am a graphics Designer/ animator that uses the ADOBE TOOLS all day long (Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects etc)
    I use Lightwave for all my 3d work.
    I would KILL for better FILE EXCHANGE.
    I get tons of work that i have to covert an illustrator vector LOGO into a 3d mesh, and to do this in LIghtwave involves jumping thought hoops.
    Give me tools to help me convert RASTER files into vector.
    Allow me to RENDER as VECTOR.

and you know what would be really cool?

Illustrator like tools to sketch and draw on a plane lines/ polygons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbbQl2sU-ag
    And please keep it simple ....
    THIS!! A thousand times over. For us that work with lightwave modeler to create products for 3d printing this is a must. Having the ability to use vector files to help create printable content faster and cleaner this would be my request as well. Also when pushing lightwave to a newer upgraded application please insure that the basic options in lightwave remain stable. Things like banglue, bandsaw and for my 2 cents mirror.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    The whole "import vector files" has been mysteriously overlooked-- it's a huge part of the market.

JUST LIKE TEXT HANDLING. --Seriously, WTF?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

1. Skin modifier, mesh that skins polylines/ edges. (look at blender) fantastic feature to allow for interesting complex structures, as well as starting up a mesh skeleton for characters etc, and with that comes the option to maintain the skeleton polylines as an armature, or for lightwave, as skeleton or rig, already posed.
    2. Better rounding tool.
    3. Rounding tool Flat polygons and edges.. that works like truefillet, free plugin exists..but would be nice if it could operate on line and curves.
    4. Unigon tool (free plugin exist..but itīs with some flaws)
    5. Offset tool for drawn polylines... that can creating wall thickness, or frames around drawn windows.
    6. Line, curve tool that can work on surfaces to cut surfaces.
    7. Curve tool that can be adjusted with mesh thickness ( see blender)
    8. SCULPTING!!! (both modeler and Layout, better editing of guides, points in layout)
    9. Ambient occlusion opengl, especially important when sculpting.
    10. Boosting performance initially is essential if ever sculpting is considered.
    11. svg import format with option to edit ctrl handles (check blender) itīs good to take advantage of free software that uses svg nicely, such as incskape and being able to do vector shapes in there and import, even though illustrator may be considered industri standard, many people may not afford or choose more cost efficient solutions that fit their needs, Inkscape can help with that..and a workflow between Inkscape and blender is working nicely, you get vector paths either to fill, close, or opened paths..and you can even turn paths to mesh, but thatīs a blender feature....so something like that please.
    12. Tweak tool extrusions and move with option to use multipolyfaces. (currently limited to one polyfaces, edge, point)
    13. A curve fallof when either setting a procedural displacement in modeler or layout, with default setting to
    14. a good flat edge smoothness.
    15. Modeler needs a way of setting a default surface of your liking, and it also need a much better range of wire/sketch colors, we only got a few colors to choose from now..itīs not enough.
    16. Better symmetry tools.
    17. Texture painting.
    18. Live realtime booleans.

If wrestling with text modeling, it is essential that we somehow could start with some kind of modifier stack, so
    text can have the option to change font and scaling without having to rewrite it, or vice versa..change written word without having to select new fonts.

"Some of my request is part of lw cad in some cases" so from what is part of that...if it could be applyable to native lightwave without too much hazzle?...just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    we'll need to be able to >

- tweak endomorphs in both L/M
    - have a workplane option in both L/M
    - have true boolean operations in both L/M
    - be able to weightpaint in both L/M  (natively)
    - be able to tweak polygon rounding in both L/M
    - be able to use Lattice in both L/M   (natively)
    - be able to lock layers in both L/M
    - have advanced Array functions in both L/M
    - have advanced cloning functions in both L/M
    - have instancing in both L/M
    - have Polygon Islands functions in both L/M
    - have groups in both L/M
    - have sculpting features in both L/M
    - texture paint in both L/M
    .... ... ...

i could go on and on questioning the Modeler / Layout split, and why coding things twice with slightly different code is a very bad idea.
    anyway.
    Do they have a modelling coder yet? That's the first question.

Modeler Survey 2018 Preliminary Results

Hi everyone,

As part of our efforts to improve the Modeler package, we recently published a survey to get an informed sense of our demographics. The reason we chose a survey was it gives us more structure to the data, if we just ask for your thoughts on the forums, we would have to wade through hundreds of posts by hand. This way we've got most of what we need in easily compiled statistics.

The survey was carried out via Google Forms, and was mentioned on Facebook and here on the the official NewTek forums. The response was very encouraging, and we recorded far more results than we expected, which shows you are all passionate about improving LightWave.

This is a serious effort towards the structured gathering of data relevant to our demographic, and is currently being used to help focus our efforts for the next and future cycles, to identify growth areas and to fix shortcomings. This is valuable information, so on behalf of the LightWave3D team I want to thank everyone who participated, for taking your time filling out the survey, and giving us concise and honest answers.

Below you will find the relevant findings from the survey, and we have included a link to a summary report. We have only included the raw statistics for now, as we're still collating the written responses. Many of you have also commented in this thread with extra info you didn't think of at the time of the survey, and we will be integrating those comments from here as well. This will take some time, but when we have a measure of the written responses, we'll post those here too.

Key Findings
    • Architectural visualization, and TV VFX occupy most of the disciplines Modeler is used for.
    • Games were underrepresented.
    • UV Unwrapping and Exporting to games engines were the most important outcomes for most of the respondents.

LW-Modeler_Report_2018.pdf
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

I think that feedback report may contain only a fraction of user feedback, I myself really didnīt notice the survey until today..and it was to late to add to the survey, what I did was writing some long standing rants on specific workflow and tools to enhance, which I have written about for years, and it is focused on the tools, not the demographic or specific target of use as the survey is build around.

Thereīs always erikals vids to check..if you havenīt seen them yet, you guys have work to do

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Do they have a modelling coder yet? That's the first question.
    Let them worry about that, they managed to get some modeling stuff in the 2018 release, and I doubt they would start a modeler survey about modeling enhancement ..if they were not serious about doing something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswillmott View Post
    Hi everyone,

As part of our efforts to improve the Modeler package, we recently published a survey to get an informed sense of our demographics. The reason we chose a survey was it gives us more structure to the data, if we just ask for your thoughts on the forums, we would have to wade through hundreds of posts by hand. This way we've got most of what we need in easily compiled statistics.

The survey was carried out via Google Forms, and was mentioned on Facebook and here on the the official NewTek forums. The response was very encouraging, and we recorded far more results than we expected, which shows you are all passionate about improving LightWave.

This is a serious effort towards the structured gathering of data relevant to our demographic, and is currently being used to help focus our efforts for the next and future cycles, to identify growth areas and to fix shortcomings. This is valuable information, so on behalf of the LightWave3D team I want to thank everyone who participated, for taking your time filling out the survey, and giving us concise and honest answers.

Below you will find the relevant findings from the survey, and we have included a link to a summary report. We have only included the raw statistics for now, as we're still collating the written responses. Many of you have also commented in this thread with extra info you didn't think of at the time of the survey, and we will be integrating those comments from here as well. This will take some time, but when we have a measure of the written responses, we'll post those here too.

Key Findings
    • Architectural visualization, and TV VFX occupy most of the disciplines Modeler is used for.
    • Games were underrepresented.
    • UV Unwrapping and Exporting to games engines were the most important outcomes for most of the respondents.

LW-Modeler_Report_2018.pdf
    Architectural Visualization doesn't surprise me much. I think Lightwave along with LWCAD is a very natural choice for Arch Viz.

One thing I forgot to mention in the survey is that the layers functionality in Modeler should be improved to be able to ctrl or shift select layers.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Let them worry about that, they managed to get some modeling stuff in the 2018 release, and I doubt they would start a modeler survey about modeling enhancement ..if they were not serious about doing something about it.
    Several members of the team have worked extensively in Modeler, even during times when we've nominally had a team member mostly dedicated to Modeler. They can cover any development desired.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

I must say, I am a bit surprised, about the survey comment from newtek..where they say they were surprised about blender being so much used as a companion, and with that they didnīt get my vote in the survey that I also have it as companion more and more, from the survey....

"ZBrush is a clear favourite companion application alongside Modeler, but we were
    surprised to see Blender is such a popular companion package for current Modeler users."

So I am a bit Baffled that it somehow have escaped Newtek how much blender now is used as "third party" to lightwave, and that they Actually are surprised
    I do hope they didnīt sat chained with blindfolds aiming only at lightwave code without the option to check other software

I reckon some features such as sculpting, and skin modifier, and live booleans that really doesnīt exist natively may be what attracts, and svg support and curve editables with full extrude, bevel support is also a part of it.

Currently with free tools as inkscape and svg export, I can use that rather than binding up with Adobes new subscription...and get a cost effective tool for doing vector graphics in inkscape, sendng to blender, then back to lightwave again when I need too, though a full svg support would be great in lightwave.

I'm happy Modeler is going to receive some love and attention And I for one, have never been worried about you guys being able to cover each others bases. While on the dev subject.. please consider adding a driver for another 3d scanning software for NevronMotion, or a SDK that can replace the Kinect driver. So that anyone can create a driver. Kinect is officially dead after all. Just bringing that issue to the table.

I hope NT realizes the most used area is Arch-viz because LW at its current state simply isn't that great for game dev and it needs to be improved for that area.

Agree Morgan, I also see this is a snapshot of modelers current strengths.
    But great to see the results of the survey released. This is the right step to a good communicated development.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I reckon some features such as sculpting, and skin modifier, and live booleans that really doesnīt exist natively may be what attracts, and svg support and curve editables with full extrude, bevel support is also a part of it.
    For me its all about perspective modeling and the whole drafting table setup you can use it for, (and a weird design choice they did wich makes it my goto application for (semi-)organic modeling.. but I won't go into details on this). Curve based modeling: I'm not that big fan of blender, there is also this "this could be solved better" feeling, also as far as I know you can't use it as a spline cage like modeler does. Sure for cables etc its ok.

Interesting set of results. I’m wondering where this might leave me for motion graphics, or how much crossover that has with TV gfx. Motion graphics has never been LWs strong point, I know, but always liked it’s results! I guess more modelling functionality in Layout (I’m not saying full integration) is where the future lies in this regard. Bit of an eye opener for me, anyway.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast